Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 257878 times)

small_fish

• Hi!
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #315 on: September 04, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

Just a quick question will a 1/2 spoon make any difference than a 3/8 spoon? Thank you in advance!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »

Just a quick question will a 1/2 spoon make any difference than a 3/8 spoon? Thank you in advance!

Depends. On some day 1/2 oz will outfish a 3/8 oz. Other days the reverse. Keep experimenting til you find the right combination.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2011, 12:30:47 AM »

when they're on the bite it almost doesn't matter as long as they see your lure.

Infiniti81

« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2011, 12:34:47 AM »

Hi all, just registered after much lurking to say I finally caught my first Pink today  :)

Was using a silver spoon with an orange stripe. Used 2 all pink spoons for 1.5 hours earlier but had no luck. In the 1.5 hours with the silver/orange had a nibble that I didn't get set plus the one I landed.

It was funny though, was fishing with my gf and we had gotten skunked the last 2 times out so when I hooked this one she didn't believe me and thought I just snagged a rock and she proceeded to keep casting. I just looked at her like WTF lol

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »

Hi all, just registered after much lurking to say I finally caught my first Pink today  :)

Was using a silver spoon with an orange stripe. Used 2 all pink spoons for 1.5 hours earlier but had no luck. In the 1.5 hours with the silver/orange had a nibble that I didn't get set plus the one I landed.

It was funny though, was fishing with my gf and we had gotten skunked the last 2 times out so when I hooked this one she didn't believe me and thought I just snagged a rock and she proceeded to keep casting. I just looked at her like WTF lol
Thats cool, nothing like the rush of getting your first one.   For some reason its been tough to get them to bite this year.   Contrary to the belief that pink is best that spoon with orange stripe was the most effective spoon for me last year.   This year I have done better with spinners and spin-n-glows don't know why, I suspect water clarity is a factor and it was something I had asked about at the beginning of this thread.  I guess that trusty old orange stripe is going to be worth chucking out again today :)

newb33

« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »

Had a great day on the river fished 10 -2 so many fish moving in today very awesome to see and when  I got there at low tide found some nice tackle somebody lost. Fished with my tackle for 3 hours no hits than I tried the tackle I found BAM third cast fish on what a great day

Mr. Iban

« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »

Spent a few hours today mid river in Pitt Meadows.... a few jumpers but no fish. Haven't made it this far yet in any real numbers. Visibility was better. About 9-10 inches.

tumbleweed

« Reply #322 on: September 05, 2011, 05:31:27 PM »

For a salmon that is suppose to be easy to catch, I am really struggling this year. I took my seven year old out the last two days and we got no pinks. We tried spoons,spinners and soft plastic worms. Today we put in six hours and I really wanted to get him his first salmon. He is learning to cast very well and we get to spend time together so it's all good but a fish would be nice too.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #323 on: September 05, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »

Hmm.  I haven't tried spoon fishing this year yet, but I'd like to give it a go.  Funny thing is - I've caught tons of pinks (and other salmon/steelhead) on the fly.  However, I have yet to catch a salmon on a spoon...ever!  I hear people say that the spoon colour doesn't really matter - but I wonder... ;)  I guess I'll just have to give it a go and try and learn it!   :)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #324 on: September 05, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »

There's a boat club just north of the Skating Oval & 3 chaps were putting there fishing gear in the veicle...(TODAY)
They got 2 SALMON ...they said there are plenty of pinks in the out in the "straight".
Another chap was casting a spoon in the Middle Arm of the Fraser...he did not catch anything as yet but did say he saw 2 pinks caught at that very spot(the other day)... so he would decide to give it "the old college try"....in other words "hope he catches a pink too".
Congrads to all ya who have landed your 1st pink.
Who understands these fish when at times they just will not bite other times BANG they will be so aggressive...

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #325 on: September 05, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »

good day out, but this is what its all about ! my son Brody got 3 to the net and lost a bunch ! good times !wants to go again 2mrw lol but i'm burnt to a crisp !

Love the story but really, he needs a life jacket!  Especially in a river like the Fraser!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Infiniti81

« Reply #326 on: September 05, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »

Was out again today at #5 and Dyke road from 12-2 and didn't even see a single jumper. Really wanted to get out there a few hours earlier but that was the only time I had to get out there today  :(

Luckily I work a 2 or 3 minute drive away and can get out there after work easily, gonna have to skip the gym a couple times this week I think  :o

RG

« Reply #327 on: September 05, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »

No action for me and everybody around me on the lower Fraser from 12-2, but shortly after high tide the bite was on for a solid hour.  Pink spoons were producing for me and the others in the area.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #328 on: September 05, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »

Just got back from ft. langley - TONS of jumpers and pink backs to be seen but not a lot of action - there were so many i ended up snagging 3 with my buzz  bomb so switched to a spinner... an hour and a half of fishing produced only 2 to hand and (aside from the snagged ones that were released) a couple of long line releases....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #329 on: September 05, 2011, 09:56:19 PM »

Plenty of fish made their way into the river this evening once again. Although I was into a few fish, it would have been a good outing if I didn't have to see someone careless discarding a bundle of fishing line on the rocks by the river after getting a birdnest. I was so furious that I went over to pick it up before the waves carried it away and made sure he knew what I was thinking.

It really isn't difficult to process with a brain. Fishing line, not biodegradable, it kills birds, turtles, not to mention it is an eye sore. You bring it, you take it, don't crap in where you take food out.

Anyway, here's one of several Fishersak's catches from this evening.