Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 257870 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2011, 07:42:14 AM »

they have definitely started moving up river now 26 pinks netted at the albion test fishery today, and i hooked into two in the chedder so far, one today and one on Wednesday.  both on the fly. go out and maybe you'll have some luck. i'm going to try and throw some fly's in the fraser tomorrow for a bit possibly, and see what i can get my fly into (probably rocks and logs knowing my luck with the fraser) maybe throw a spoon out who knows. hoping for some tight lines!
Thanks for the report.

I will be heading out today but I know its likely too early still  -  just love to get out casting even if the chance is small.  There has just got to be some hope - that's all it takes for me. [..and it gives me a chance to scope out some spots on the river before the run gets really hot].

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2011, 08:09:37 AM »

I am a well-read indiviual which leads to a higher than average intelligence.  

I don't know that you have higher intelligence, but you do have a much larger oppinion of yourself, the truth is (and I have this info from a book called Fred) that the best fishing in the Lower reaches will most likley be in the first couple of weeks in September, as was the case two years ago,
As for the fish being caught in the upper Fraser, this is a by catch of bottom bouncers(aint nobody targeting pinks with that much sockeye around) kinda like the guy saying he caught a sturgeon up ther while fishing(snagging) for sockeye.
So far the best tides have been real early or late, on intermidiate incomming which means there is still a strong outflow(I like high slack for best fishing)
These are just my oppinions from past expearence, I think I will go read another book now instead of fishing.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:25:06 AM by freddy2596 »

mikeyman

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »

The fish are on the way, soon nobody will be posting all this junk...they will be to busy catching fish after fish after fish...patience, I thought after all we are fisherman. And that 20lb spring was actually a tyee!!!! Go out and cast a line, better to go and fish and not catch anything, than not fish at all.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »

Quite mikey. Everyone seems to not understand why I keep going fishing when I havent caught a salmon yet. Well, you dont catch fish unless you go fishing!  ::)
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »

Clarki needs to turn off his computer and back away slowly.

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »

Yeah, water clarity poor at Haney this morning too. Also, no risers for the 2 hours I was there :(

Lots of sturgeon jumping though.

penguinabc123

« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »

was out this morning 6 ish on the north side of the fraser east of the port mann water clarity in the lower fraser very poor no bites the sunrise was a beauty this morning with the fog over the fraser

was that you i was fishing beside?? im the one who had to go to work

Chuck23

« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »

Last (pink) year they were thick at least until Sept. 20th or so, and they weren't really here until the first week of the month. I've had fun catching them in Howe Sound and the Squamish up until now. Going to hang up the rod for a week or so and then hit the Fraser. No rush. They will come.

smilasin

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »

I was in Ambleside park on Capilano river mouth: nothing, just one guy cought one pink what I saw. I saw 2 coho jumping for the 3 hours or so I was there. I arrived when tide went up, everything perfect just no happy ending :'(

Centerpinner

« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »

Yeah, water clarity poor at Haney this morning too. Also, no risers for the 2 hours I was there :(

Lots of sturgeon jumping though.

Sturgeon jumping?

siderman

« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2011, 04:44:38 PM »

fished the fraser for 2 hours (i left because i was hungry) i fished a about 3km down river from island 22 boat launch.   i saw 9 risers, and hooked into 4 on the fly, water clarity is about 3-6" but they seemed to find my pink and white clouser pretty easy, landed 3 lost 1. and released them all safely. i caught them all within 30 feet from shore on a sand bar.  pretty productive for 2 hour's and such low visibility in the water.

Ryan.maccie

« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »

spent 6 hours on the lower fraser today in a couple different spots, tried the usual spot down off of triangle beach in richmond, no such hits there, couple jumping...

Tried near the shore of Deas island park/massey tunnel, on the delta side, no hits there, once again, a couple jumping..

Infront of the ocean fish plant after watching a couple huge jumps by something bigger than a pink we decided it was a good idea to investigate hook side first... Finally hooked into something...

It hit hard and fast, and ran like a son of a b!tch, fought it for about 5-10mins. Up, down, headskake, runnning like crazy, finally got it in about 10 ft of water, and he let off for a seccond, so I tightend the drag back up got 2 turns in, before he decided he didnt want to be on the dinner platter, needless to say, he took off like a bat out of hell with my lure..

Judging by the way it fought and the weight behind it, i would defently have to say it was a spring, somewhere in the 25lb range, awesome fight, just wish I could have landed it. 

I was fishing a pink pixie, 7/8 oz about 5-8 ft from the bottom. 

There are fish in the river rite now, you will see them jump, there just are no great numbers, hopefully the pinks give us a good run here so we can walk across them..

I was talking to a good buddy of mine who is a DFO officer, and he was saying most of the boats he has been on are 50/50 pink/sockeye, so I think its safe to say with the fairly low numbers of sockeye, were still waiting for the rush of the pinks..

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:18:35 PM by Ryan.maccie »

RG

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »

Hit the lower Fraser from 4-6, a couple of risers but no hits, nobody else had any luck either.

FishGuts

« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »

Yep they will be comin, I looked at my journal for last 25 years, it seems to be between sept 2nd and the 7th the switch is turned on and they head up in droves. What you see now is normal until the big push of fraser spawners, most of these earlier fish are headed towards the thompson etc.

newb33

« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2011, 12:25:10 AM »

Any other methods to catching these mysterious pinks in the richmond new west area, been out now 5 of 10 days, 8 hours on two of them fishing both tides and 3 hours the other three days and i have seen nothing and i have seen no one else catch anything i mean nothing not even one and i am at populated areas right from garry point to no 6 road. anybody know what FRPD is doing at no 6 road they have a ton of machinery in the water wondering if there dredging and if its even worth fishing that area if thats the case