Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4,5 or 6 weight rod?  (Read 15720 times)

noobfisher

Re: 4,5 or 6 weight rod?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 06:16:22 AM »

The TFO NFX series comes in a 4/5 weight and a 5/6 weight?  From what I gather the 4/5 comes with 5 weight line, the 5/6 comes with 6 weight line ... does this make sense?

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 10:45:50 AM »

Some people like to overweight their rods somewhat, as they find it loads the rod better on the cast than the matching line weight (remember, the only weight you use when you're casting a fly rod is the fly line itself).  With a 5/6 rod, a 5wt line would likely seem to light when you're casting it.  If you're choosing between these two options (4/5 or 5/6), I would definitely go with the 5/6 for your described uses.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »

Noob,
Get that 5/6 TFO for sure, I like mine and it was equally fun for Pinks and Cutties on the beach last year on the island, cast well in the wind and it seemed well made until I trapped the car door on it  ::) As others have said it doesn't matter what rod you start out with it will only be a matter of time until you will need / want a whole bunch of other rods for different fish / situations, but as a starter that will cover a few bases and with the warantee they are pretty hard to beat IMO.

noobfisher

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »

Thanks for the advice :)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 03:57:05 PM »

eventually youll have one of every wt, but for starters, id go with a 6, i kinda regret going with a 5 first, but some days i love fishing the 5wt, the 6 only helps with the longer cast i find, my opinion though, others may differ,

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 09:44:56 AM »

I  like my 5 weight St. Croix Imperial. I dont hesitate to recommend it.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

cohojoe

I got them all
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »

I got them all.   Love all of them.    two Wt   for tiny fish,  3/4  for the skagit,   5/6  for  Tunkwa,   7 for the Veddar / Harrison,   9/10  for salmon and steelhead.     Now  I just got a  10  wt  for  salmon in the ocean estuaries.    Have  yourself a good time.   Make sure your wife / girlfriend knows how many rods you want.   Ha Ha..r

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »

ok Cohojoe you went a little overboard LOL

2wt perfect for fish to 2-3lbs including the Skagit and i know lots of people using rods as small as 000wt's there and they work perfectly

3-6 wt are perfect lake trout rods(6wt mostly for windy days or tossing full sink lines farther), 5-6wt is a wicked rod for fishing pinks

7-8wt is perfect for any salmon/steelhead fishing, 9-10 wt is better if your going to be targetting springs specifically

I personally own a 4wt,5wt and a 7/8wt spey rod. getting another single hander again i think. probably a 7wt. I use my 5wt on pinks in the salt and in fresh water and never felt undergunned. not sure why you need a 10wt for saltwater salmon fishing unless your only after springs, lots of water to play them out out there lol

HOOK - needs a 12wt and a boat to get sturgeon on the fly  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cohojoe

a $ 25 flyrod one day at the skagit
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »

One day in about  2000   my geezer buddy and went to the skagit where it enters  Ross lake.    He pulls out this fly rod that was maybe a $ 25  fly rod by eagle claw from  Harkley and Haywood days.      The reel  was seized,  but the fly line ,  even though cracked and stiff still went out to the fishes.    I managed to catch a few trout on that  40 year old outfit     But  I used modern flies and  tippet.    So  maybe you can find an outfit here on the buy and sell  that works for you.   Some how  the fishes did not care about the cost,  the type ,   the  fancy  gear.    Just the Fly.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:46 PM »

Lots of wise advice on what you need to play a fish.   First you have to hook one and that typically requires casting as far as possible.   Heavier rods cast farther easier, especially for beginners.

noobfisher

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 09:19:52 PM »

Update - ended up getting a TFO Signature rod, 8'6 foot, 5 wt rod   :)