Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: which reel would you recommend?  (Read 6149 times)

Kype

• Try the fly!
Re: which reel would you recommend?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »

Easily.  I still run it's European twin the Airframe for the same.  Just remember to get backing loaded on to the reel too!  Also if you are going to use the same reel to switch between Salmon and Trout maybe take a look at the larger size too?  Pinks though will be fine on the smaller reel.

Also on the Chedder (presuming this is where you will try for Pinks) - try a Chartreuse Crazy Charlie fly

http://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1140&bih=612&q=chartreuse+crazy+charlie&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&oq=chartreuse+crazy+charlie&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0

You'll find them WAY more successful than chucking pink flies like the books & articles tell you!!   ;)
Try the fly!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:39 AM »

I've got a Looms Adventure 5 (now Ventre 5) and I use it as a fine backup reel.  It's nice and compact, and I like the champagne chrome finish.  Classic looking reel with a powerful disc drag.  It's got a standard arbor, so the Sage and Pfleuger will have the advantage there.  A buddy of mine recently got the Pflueger and it's a nice reel.  I bought my dad the Sage reel a few years ago and it performs great.  To me it's a bit bulkly, but it's just a matter of preference.  I prefer the classic look on my trout rods.

noobfisher

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »

update - ended up getting a TFO NXT1 series reel.   :)