Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pipeline in richmond  (Read 8355 times)

fishgutz63

pipeline in richmond
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:25:52 PM »

just watched late news about 15 km pipeline going into richmond for supplying the airport with fuel then bringing tankers into steveston to fill the pipeline ,multi million dollar price tag.what are your opinions

arimaBOATER

There is a proposal to ship or tank barge jet fuel up the main arm of the Fraser R & I assume somewhere near ther south end of #5 Rd unload the fuel & then pipeline it across Richmond to the International Vancouver Airport YVR.

As it is now tanker trucks bring the fuel to the airport.

If I'm not mistaken they will load the jet fuel in the Burrard Inlet then out to Georgia Straight ,then up the Fraser R then pipeline it to the airport. (crazy is my thoughts)
Tanker full of jet fuel coming up the Fraser R ...did ya ever see the the marine traffic plus that sharp narrow C curve past Gerry Park(down river). ----- What if there is a major spill (can hapen at unloading or by marine collison) Plus a pipeline under the streets in Richmond ??? What if there is a earthquake or cracks & toxic fumes etc etc... SEEMS LIKE A CRAZY IDEA TO ME.  Your thoughts ??? ??? ??? ADD IN ...or a MAJOR FIRE or EXPLOSION on the ship/barge/or pipeline. :o
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:22:04 PM by A-BOATER »

arimaBOATER

Re: pipeline in richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »

Sorry fishgutz63 ,,,I just posted to the GENERAL area about this subject , not knowing that ya already got the "ball rolling".
 Rod moved my post immeadiately to the Fishing-related Issues & News under your already started topic.
Glad ya started it as the whole idea seems really really CRAZY TO ME.
I would not want to have a home within 2 miles of that pipe.  The people of Richmond should be OUTRAGED & all sports fishermen/ladies.  The mayor does not want it either BUT apparantly HIGHER POWERS OF GOV. can over rule the mayor & the people of Richmond no matter how they feel about it.  :o

fishgutz63

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »

yes i agree with you i think this idea is just totally insane i think we have too much to loose at stake here >:(

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »

15, maybe 20 years ago a similar proposal was put forward with the tanker terminal in the North Arm just downstream from MacDonald Beach.   That was shot down due to environmental concerns.     I think that is still the default option if this pipeline proposal doesn't fly.    It is just about as bad but at least it would be close to the eventual storage tanks.

Did you ever hear of a terminal that didn't have a major spill at some point.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

CRAZY they are talking about making older schools more earthquake proof THEN in the same breath want to put a 15 km jet fuel PIPELINE across the residental Richmond. Yesterday JAPAN had that MAJOR EARTHQUAKE 130 km away from their country NEVERTHELESS it was so major it created a tidal wave & shook buildings & created MAJOR damage.

Fires were started ALL OVER because of broken fuel/natural gas pipes etc.... oil refinery on fire...nuclear plants damaged ETC...

The BC coast is on the RING OF RING (earthquake zone) & can ya imagine that jet fuel pipeline/storage tanks/barge/ship transport spilling it's load...AFTER PIPELINE BREAKS !!!.....after a MAJOR EARTHQUAKE that easily could hit our area !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God help us it the fuel ignites which it 99% will happen as all it takes is a burning cig.  (yes a cig temp is enough to ignite jelled jet fuel) NO NO NO NO to this pipeline. CRAZY IDEA. Ya sure will not see politians or people in the know living near the pipe. People's home prices will also drop ALOT if ya live near it.
 Plus if ya have kids....the pipe may develope small leaks here & there...& get into the soil & into the water table...slowly into the rivers......
(ever see gas stations shutting down as they have to replace their underground fuel tanks as many delevope leaks after a "X" # of years.   A major earthquake will damge this pipeline. (We in Richmond have to worry  if the two major dams up river will hold after a major quake  so we do not need this added worry ) :o :o :o
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:14:52 PM by A-BOATER »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »

A major earthquake will damge this pipeline. (We in Richmond have to worry  if the two major dams up river will hold after a major quake  so we do not need this added worry ) :o :o :o
not saying I don't agree with your concerns but what two major dams are you referring to??

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »

not saying I don't agree with your concerns but what two major dams are you referring to??

Stave & Alouette?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »

Yep Stave & the other Coquitam Lake(river).
Plus the dam(s) on the northshore...

Should we get a major quake such as the one Japan experienced........... (& we are in an area where the quake will cause plates to move in a major sideways direction thus the effect causes tidal waves & also lots of ground shaking....dams could break) ..........the possibilities are major damage & possibly those dams to break....

That is alot of stored water in the Coquitlam & Stave Lake....
Boaters tell of Sandheads at the mouth of the Fraser R to sometimes haave dangerous standing waves ....just think of a wall of water coming down in a westward direction should the dams break....then a tidal wave coming eastward from the earthquake ...when those two bodies of water collide...that's would be one MAJOR STANDING WAVE !!!!

But kids teens families will live close to that proposed pipeline & in an earthquake the families will be in DANGER as the pipe could break & result in explosions & major fires....
...........so if the Gov. cares about the kids at schools as they repaired them to earthquake standards...& are still repairing schools at this very moment....WHY do not care about kids who may live to this proposed pipeline ??? that may explode after a quake !!!! :o :o :o

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 06:58:49 PM »

Dams wouldn't be your first concern in Richmond during earthquake.
Dykes breaking, liquefaction would happen before those dams.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »

Yes BwiBwi I've heard of ground becoming literally like QUICKSAND during an earthquake....& can see Richmond becoming a QUICKSAND quite fast ...after a major quake.
As ya say add to the fact the dykes would be damaged & the river could flood the land as well....
But add in the pipeline breaking & catching on fire....plus a wall of water that would be like a tidal wave in itself ....should the entire Coquitlam & Stave lakes flow out if & should the dams give way.

Not going to worry about it ...BUT my question is if the BIG BOYS are so concerned about our kids safety should a major quake hit us....(reno the schools as they are doing) THEN why are they proposing a jet fuel pipeline to go across Richmond ???? (should a quake hit this pipeline will endanger our kids & everyone.)

We do not need a pipeline built where homes & families are located. BOO BOO BOO BOO  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »

The madness, time to move to Mars.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:01:10 PM »

The madness, time to move to Mars.

Yes...I hear marsquakes are relatively minor compared to earthquakes...and no tsunamis to worry about...unless they have sandwaves?
Not all those who wander are lost

arimaBOATER

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 03:54:04 PM »

Possibly that's why they are making the space station....or why they sent a missle aimed at the moon & exploded a deep crator....then they via tests concluded there was ice in the hole thus....claim one day a moon station could be built & they would have plenty of water suppy............ all in all to escape this earth !!!
I assume only the billionaires & Presidents & space crew would be the special ones to take advantage if & when this world gets too polluted/or WW 111, major quakequakes or volcanos events happening more & more etc................

Exedus or the GREAT ESCAPE  off this planet ....not a far fetched idea for the very ELECT or CHOSEN FEW !!!! ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »

Possibly that's why they are making the space station....or why they sent a missle aimed at the moon & exploded a deep crator....then they via tests concluded there was ice in the hole thus....claim one day a moon station could be built & they would have plenty of water suppy............ all in all to escape this earth !!!
I assume only the billionaires & Presidents & space crew would be the special ones to take advantage if & when this world gets too polluted/or WW 111, major quakequakes or volcanos events happening more & more etc................

Exedus or the GREAT ESCAPE  off this planet ....not a far fetched idea for the very ELECT or CHOSEN FEW !!!! ;D

not sure what your'e smoking A-BOATER but I want some :D