Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pipeline in richmond  (Read 8418 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: pipeline in richmond
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »

Dave I'm not a fear monger or bearer of sad & gloomy news....BUT experts are warning for a MAJOR QUAKE that will hit the Pacific coast in the next 50 yrs.... MAJOR as in MAJOR.  Iceland had that volcano that covered their lands with thick ash & stopped planes in Europe etc...for some time.....earthquake in Haiti recently & in New Zealand which will take many more yrs to fix...now in Japan.
Plus the flood in Australia....ask those people about "how normal life on this earth is.
Plus the hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico & floods "Katrinia"......plus the tidal wave from an earthquake that hit South ASIA ...250,000 killed ???  Lets just say if these these plants that are damaged in Japan cannot be controlled & there is a meltdown & explosions like what happened in Cherynobol(sp) ....or 3 Mile Island ...But should WW 3 come about or more & more earthquakes ...
(look how just having two buildings colapse affected our world & still does "TWIN TOWERS")  Ironically Matthew ch 24 tells that increased EARTHQUAKES are a sign of the end times before the Jesus 2nd return to the Earth !!! (Catholics & Protestants believe in the 2nd coming of the Savior) Book of Revelations & other prophets in the Bible also predict a MAJOR WAR that will come...3.5 yrs into a 7 yr Peace Treaty between Isreal & the Arab World. Russia & my guess Iran will be in the attack...Isreal will use nuclear bombs to repel the attack ...& Russian will retreat....then a 700 million man army will come from the east & sweep thru the Middle East ...possibly the Chinese Army /combined with the India Army ??? Anyways it says in the GOOD BOOK 1/3 of the things in the air 1/3 of the things in the water & 1/3 of the things on the land will be destroyed !!!!! BATTLE OF ARMEDGEDON (sp)At this point the Savior returns to bring peace.
100's of MILLIONS believe in this idea. :o :o
But all I can say...there are alot of weird things happening on this planet in the last few yrs....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »

Gotta watch those Chinese, they're unpredictably dangerous. ;)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 09:42:18 PM »

The Nostradomus Effect isn't too far out of the question then eh!!  First time steelheaders better get out there, you only got a year left  ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »

Possibly that's why they are making the space station....or why they sent a missle aimed at the moon & exploded a deep crator....then they via tests concluded there was ice in the hole thus....claim one day a moon station could be built & they would have plenty of water suppy............ all in all to escape this earth !!!
I assume only the billionaires & Presidents & space crew would be the special ones to take advantage if & when this world gets too polluted/or WW 111, major quakequakes or volcanos events happening more & more etc................

Exedus or the GREAT ESCAPE  off this planet ....not a far fetched idea for the very ELECT or CHOSEN FEW !!!!

When do you plan to ESCAPE off this planet, A-BOATER?  Do you need a ride to the launch pad anytime soon?  I am sure the CHOSEN FEW will make an exception in your particular case once they are aware of your circumstances.  There might be a nice, quiet room awaiting you one day on the moon.  Don't worry about it - it will all work out.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 02:51:11 PM »

shuswapsteve...... 7 posts total ....maybe ya will post more often ;D
Steve I'll take my chances here along with the other billions....

Yes China would love to have a piece of the action in the Middle East ....lotta oil there. (worth more than gold...) Who controls the oil will in the future control the world.  It would be nice if the citizens in Libya wanted to become part of Canada....we'd have all the oil to meet our needs for a very long time !!! (small country actually ...maybe 500 miles across & 400-500 miles N to South)

But should this war take place "Russia attacks Isreal" as The Book of Revelations" etc...points out...I'm sure China will step in possibility with the idea to try to stop the crazyness before the other countries NUKE THE WHOLE WORLD.
Because if that happens there will be no China or Africa or Asia or N or S America either....
They (China) may march in as to try to control the situation like police cars arrive to stop a parking lot fight so to say.

As for a space station on the moon....well the space program NASA is going to privatize ...thus major companies will invest their dollars...so the USA gov. does not have to put so much of the taxpayers money into it. But after they exploded that missle on the moon within the last yr they said at the bottom of the hole (made from the bomb blast) they said it exposed "ice". They went on to say possibly one day a space station could be build there & the ice would be used for the water supply. Personally if the world goes on.....existing then my guess it will be 50-100 yrs down the road before any station would be built.
Right now though let's just hope the Japanese can control the damaged nuclear plants . :o

StillAqua

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »

Wow A-Boater......from an Avgas pipeline in Richmond to Armageddon and the coming of ?......5 days stillwater fly fishing is my prescription for your conniption!

I think all of our North Shore and Fraser Valley dams have now been seismically upgraded to meet the highest earthquake that they could credibly experience so they are the least of your worries. But liquefaction of most of Richmond is a certainty...it's rated high to extremely high probability...and that would definitely hit a fixed pipeline. And overtopping of the dykes would be the one-two punch. But I thought it was a transfer pipeline that would only carry Avgas when they are doing a transfer...unlike an oil pipeline. Timing is everything....

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »

I think all of our North Shore and Fraser Valley dams have now been seismically upgraded to meet the highest earthquake that they could credibly experience so they are the least of your worries.

Actually, the upgrades to the Ruskin Dam is still in the planning stages.  DANGER Will Robinson DANGER.  Also, I am not sure what you mean by "upgraded to meet the highest earthquake they could credibly experience".  Keep in mind that the danger of a mega thrust quake (like the 8.9 quake that struck Japan) is as high here in BC (or even higher).  BC has the same plate structure as Japan (oceanic-continental convergence), but we have not had a mega thrust quake in over 300 years (all of our recorded quakes have occurred within the Juan de Fuca or North American plates, not along the boundary).  This could mean that the stress has been building for the last 300 years and we are over due for a major slip.  While most of the dams have undergone seismic upgrades, they are only upgraded to withstand the largest quake they are capable of withstanding. The Ruskin dam upgrades are expected to allow the dam to withstand a 7.5 quake.  The 8.9 quake that struck Japan would be over 10 time stronger than a 7.5 and while it would likely be 100 km away, such a quake would exceed the current engineering standards if it struck closer to home (the Juan de Fuca plate slides right under the North American Plate).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:54:07 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

arimaBOATER

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 08:09:07 PM »

StillAqua ...From what I understand the fuel will come up river via fuel barge or tanker ship & then as ya say transfer it into the pipeline......to storage tanks at the airport...but with the continous filling of planes...the storage tanks will have to be re-filled so my assumption is the pipeline will be flowing "alot of the time" ....5 - 10 - 25% of the time it is still a big risk to the families of Richmond.
Plus if there is a major spill & what if there are millions of salmon gathering at Sandheads (river's mouth) ...could wipe out alot of salmon & marine life... Yes we cover it all on FWR ...A-Z in views & topics ...it's a "hard job"but someone gotta do it ;D
Dams may be upgraded & good that they are or will be as Sandman pts out "Ruskin Dam"(are ya the same Sandman from SK?...Howdy if so)
 Also Sandman I see ya edited in alot more INFO to your "post" & must say it is very INTERESTING what ya point out. FOR SURE.

Homes are selling at good prices now in Richmond...makes one to consider to sell & live on higher ground  :-\
.........Believe me I do not sit around all day & ring my hands as I do have my pleasures & hobbies etc...nevertheless did say a prayer in Williams Lake BC way back in 1973...&  had an encounter with the "guy upstairs"right after SO I tend to believe what the "GOOD BOOK" says. (no wasn't on drugs or am "crazy")....That's why Matthew 24 which says that there will be increased earthqukes as one of the "signs"grabs my attention.
There's more to what we see with our eyes.
But when it comes to Mother Nature ...it is all timing...Mt St Helens blew ...& caused SO MUCH DAMAGE...loss of some lives..tidal waves....major earthquakes ...the victims one minute were safe & sound & in an instant ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE !!! That tidal wave that hit Japan was 30 ft high...size of a house !!!!
Life is being safe & prepared & be wise according to all the info out there...BUT yes we all have to enjoy life with our interests & for many of us it is fishing/boatings etc.....could not agree more.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:14:47 PM by A-BOATER »

StillAqua

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »

Actually, the upgrades to the Ruskin Dam is still in the planning stages.  DANGER Will Robinson DANGER.  Also, I am not sure what you mean by "upgraded to meet the highest earthquake they could credibly experience".  Keep in mind that the danger of a mega thrust quake (like the 8.9 quake that struck Japan) is as high here in BC (or even higher).  BC has the same plate structure as Japan (oceanic-continental convergence), but we have not had a mega thrust quake in over 300 years (all of our recorded quakes have occurred within the Juan de Fuca or North American plates, not along the boundary).  This could mean that the stress has been building for the last 300 years and we are over due for a major slip.  While most of the dams have undergone seismic upgrades, they are only upgraded to withstand the largest quake they are capable of withstanding. The Ruskin dam upgrades are expected to allow the dam to withstand a 7.5 quake.  The 8.9 quake that struck Japan would be over 10 time stronger than a 7.5 and while it would likely be 100 km away, such a quake would exceed the current engineering standards if it struck closer to home (the Juan de Fuca plate slides right under the North American Plate).

I would have thought they were further along with Ruskin Dam after they announced all the money in last year's BC budget. Anyway, "Maximum Cedible Earthquake" is the seismic design standard the dams are being upgraded to and it's a function of the worst predicted earthquake and maximum ground acceleration that a particular dam could "credibly" experience. Distance from the epicenter and local geology is key because even with a 9.0 megathrust subduction quake off Vancouver Island, the actual ground acceleration you'd see at the Ruskin is supposed to be included in the standard. I'm far more concerned about southern Vancouver Island.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »

If I owned a home in "Richman" I would sell. That place is going to sink earthquake or not. There was a study done (which nobody wants to talk about) that said the whole area sunk many times because of the weight on the sand pile. For some the place is good luck. But even good luck runs out sometimes  ::).

Safely (somewhat) watching from the high ground in Newton, and hoping something good washes up on the new beach below.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?