Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass, and flooding  (Read 19035 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Bass, and flooding
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »

so whats your last warning part all about are you trying to say because we fish for bass we are uneducated and dont know how to read and only look at pics im sorry but i have a college education so grow up

hahahahaha i know newsman its being pretty dead on there latley

Degree in children & teen literature and ministerial ordination here. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »

Actually Brian fisheries has owned up to stocking Bass in Burnaby lake back in the 40s.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »

Actually Brian fisheries has owned up to stocking Bass in Burnaby lake back in the 40s.
THANK YOU! and like they stopped there

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »

If you yank the males off the redds you can slow down the infestation, no males protecting the eggs and the predators move in.The eggs will suffocate  from lack of oxygen with out the males fanning them.  Males on the redds are easy. ;D

exactly what we did at burnaby lake.....just found the nest.....the rest is fertilzer.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »

and then they killed everything in the lake and the river in 1942 with rutinone (sp?)

having done work on the brunette since the mid 1980's and growing up on the shores of the brunette, it was not till the mid to late 90's when we found bass by electro shocking and netting......

where were they hiding ?..........ohh , in a 5 gallon pail.

noxcape

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »

??? :-X

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »

Thats news to me. I wonder why they did it. Any idea why they did it?

That must have been how they got into the Brunette River?

KC your blowing smoke. Do you actually have any information on bass that you can contribute? I have done some research on this topic dating about 5-6 years back. Even was in touch with the ministry. I'll give you a bit of the background without writing a novel about it.

I joined FishBC about 6 years ago. I had discovered bass locally here in Maple Ridge. I was catching them and catching allot of them. I started posting about it and got allot of flack for it as people were so down on bass. I got educated as to why they were down on the species and learned that they indeed were not a good thing for our local waters. I than started searching out how they got here and why they were here. Needless to say I changed my tune and now have a different outlook on them because I am educated on the subject.

You dont sound like a bad guy ( as you seem to just like to go out and fish ) but an invasive species is an invasive species. Especially one that can harm our local ecosystems. Not only do the bass eat other fish they eat all their food sources. I still fish for bass locally as its so close to home. I just dont think its a good idea to promote the fishery without educating people on how they got here and the harm they cause.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »

Thanks. this topic always gets me steamed i should learn to ignore it. No matter how they got here i like to fish for them and so do my girls, fact is it is easier to take them to the "bass catching places" where it is safe and calm than be "on guard" the whole time at a river shoreline. I am just not impressed with the trout fishery when my 5 year old can reel a tiny little fish to shore in seconds and can actually get a fight and some excitement out of a small bass. check this out http://www.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/AlienSpeciesinBritishColumbiaHistoricalRecords.html

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2010, 09:27:55 PM »

The key issue has been missed in the entire discussion, but that's not surprising since it is being participated by interest groups instead of biologists who have a much better understanding on ecology. This is not about bass vs trout/salmon. This is not about which species fight better, which have a higher economic value, or what anglers prefer to catch. It's also not about how good or poor freshwater fisheries in the Lower Mainland are.

It is about how invasive species, along with pollution, habitat destruction, over-harvesting and other human related factors, have collectively altered ecosystems at a rapid rate around the world. It's about the survival of endangered pacific giant salamanders, which are found in a few lakes in Chilliwack. It's about the survival of endangered nooksack dace, which are only found in three streams around Abbotsford. It's about endangered frog species in BC, which are fast disappearing like most frog populations across this continent. It's about unique stickleback populations that are only found in coastal watersheds of Southern British Columbia. It's about native predatory species which, since the last glacial period, have preyed on and co-existed with these above-mentioned species, which also make up the diet of spiny-rays. It is about preserving ecosystems and ensuring that our controllable impacts are minimized so changes are slow enough for existing species to evolve and adapt.

Just because pollutions exist, native species have been poorly managed historically, it does not mean British Columbians should welcome aquatic invasive species with open arms. The long term destruction to the ecosystem outweighs the short term benefits that anglers may enjoy.

Anyway, I don't intend to expend much time and energy on this because...

im not going to change my mind about them do you guys believe everythign you read
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:34:16 AM by Rodney »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »

The key issue has been missed in the entire discussion, but that's not surprising since it is being participated by interest groups instead of biologists who have a much better understanding on ecology. This is not about bass vs trout/salmon. This is not about which species fight better, which have a higher economic value, or what anglers prefer to catch. It's also not about how good or poor freshwater fisheries in the Lower Mainland are.

It is about how invasive species, along with pollution, habitat destruction, over-harvesting and other human related factors, have collectively altered ecosystems at a rapid rate around the world. It's about the survival of endangered pacific giant salamanders, which are found in a few lakes in Chilliwack. It's about the survival of endangered nooksack dace, which are only found in three streams around Abbotsford. It's about endangered frog species in BC, which are fast disappearing like most frog populations across this continent. It's about unique stickleback populations that are only found in coastal watersheds of Southern British Columbia. It's about native predatory species which, since the last glacial period, have preyed on and co-existed with these above-mentioned species, which also make up the diet of spiny-rays. It is about preserving ecosystems and ensure that our controllable impacts are minimized so changes are slow enough for existing species to evolve and adapt.

Just because pollutions exist, native species have been poorly managed historically, it does not mean British Columbians should welcome aquatic invasive species with open arms. The long term destruction to the ecosystem outweighs the short term benefits that anglers may enjoy.

Anyway, I don't intend to expend much time and energy on this because...

You must have missed this that I wrote "Especially one that can harm our local ecosystems"

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2010, 09:40:22 PM »

Yeah I did, I usually just get drawn into posts that don't focus on the discussion lol. ;)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2010, 11:20:34 AM »

Well said Rodney.

work2fish

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:48 AM »

But without bass fishing you'd never have stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2eGc8uO3yA&feature=related

<snicker> ;)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

--I was trying to promote serious research which may help with fisheries management and promote the sport of fishing in general. There are many who do not wish to see any recreational fishery. Recently the BCFFF... flyfishers have for steelhead been promoting a wild fish only.. ie no hatcheries whereas BCWF has endorsed some...enhancement hatcheries for steelhead in specific locations. I belong to both organizations so not sure I'm welcome at either meeting especially if I wear a hat with a Bass on it. Lucky for me our local fishing club is open to or at least listening to and participating in discussion of fisheries management.
--Fisheries managers have the right...which I believe they exercise much to often.. to be wrong.
--Biologists... my favourite whipping boys/girls..for the most part seem to be very good at explaining what we can't do with very little of what we can do.
--I'm very concerned that practical research both short and long term on our environment as a whole is sadly lacking. This lack of credible information leads to knee jerk policy decisions which arre often misguided and very difficult to change.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 09:41:26 AM by skaha »

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2010, 07:55:10 AM »

this is intresting, i think more time needs to be put on the water chasing the elusive steehead...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!