Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Honest Mistake.  (Read 11380 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Honest Mistake.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »

Azafai - I have seen many different CO's not hand out tickets for things just like this  ::) they do however mark down your info so that they have a record of your being warned.

Im like everyone else in that its good of you to admit you were wrong however i would still slap you across the hand with a ruler for not being absolutely sure of the regs.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:41:34 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

anorden

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 02:04:58 PM »

Azafai - I have seen many different CO's not hand out tickets for things just like this  ::) they do however mark down your info so that they have a record of your being warned.

IMO handing out warnings for minor honest mistakes is a far better way of building trust and relationships with fishermen.  I think honest people will learn a lot more from a strong warning (and taking down your details); they will most likely not repeat the infringement and also tell their friends about it. Aggressively handing out tickets left right and centre damages relationships and just makes people more careful about not getting caught next time rather than not breaking the rules again.

The hard bit is judging what is honest and what is deliberate!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »

As long as it's not one of those tendancy things that come with legions of "I'm sorry", then all is forgiven.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 04:56:48 PM »

I reallly appreciate everyones inputs and thoughts.  Also appreciate the second chance before im labelled as a poacher.  Obviously this will never happen again!  Thank you to all who understands that sometimes these things do happen.

I've been dying to post all the Dolly's ans Rainbows i've been getting on the Fly. As it's my new technique of fishing i picked up and am lloving every bit of it!!
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »

mistake or not you would still recieve a fine by a CO, especially if it was me  ;)

HOOK - is a hard *** when it comes to some things

Little man syndrome?

Its too bad there aren't more people like SMH. He made a mistake and is willing to own up to it. Seems like most of the time people are too arrogant to get off their high horses and admit they're wrong.
Actions speak louder than words.

jimmywits

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »

ill just stick with a beer, but i agree.
me too!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »

Little man syndrome?

So, let me get this straight...  Are you saying that Hook suffers from "little man syndrome" when he would give a ticket to a guy that illegally kept a fish and then claims that he checked the regs but must have been referring to an old version.

Really, dude? You are truly serious? Little man syndrome?

fishgutz63

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »

great job SMH good on ya' for having the balls to admitt your mistake by posting your apology for us to read.this will mean that i will be double checking my regs . 8)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 09:16:38 PM »

just curious but how many of you check for in season reg changes every time before you go out? I fish around 4 to 6 days a week and  have yet to google in season changes, just mostly keep up with changes on the forums and the odd person on the river. Mind you when the an season change comes I've always been aware of it in one way or another. Not saying this is the right way to do it but it just seems really labor intensive to keep up with searching this info out on the internet.

and for the record I know Steel Mo and he's a stand up guy for sure

jeff

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »

I always check this for changes http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=search_options&lang=en&id=recreational , being that I have I full time job and only fish on weekends A quick look the night before and I am good to go.
Enjoying the water..........

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »

Making sure that anglers are aware of in-season changes is one of many concerns that resource managers have, especially if the change is immediate with a very short notice. To distribute the notice effectively, they are usually faxed to tackle stores and websites like this usually get notified by email right away so information can go up right away. Other ideas that have been toyed around with recently is to have radio stations broadcasting major changes.

On the web, in-season changes are usually available at two official places:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/#Inseason for general freshwater changes (steelhead, trout, etc openings, bait ban...)

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=search_options&lang=en&id=recreational (salmon related changes by DFO)

Usually, I make sure the notices are available in our news section http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/index.html and I try to provide an advance notice when possible changes are being discussed.

jeff

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »

So Rodney would you say the link I use is wrong or is it the right spot to be looking or should I be looking at the links you posted. Also I do fing it useful when you post changes because you seem to have the information right away
Enjoying the water..........

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »

Nothing wrong with that link, it's the same one that I posted just after you actually.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=search_options&lang=en&id=recreational (salmon related changes by DFO)

The other link that I provided rarely gets updated because general freshwater fishing regulations are not often changed.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »

props to you Rod for keeping up with the notices, I am on the site everyday so this is usually where I get the heads up

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 09:48:53 PM »

just curious but how many of you check for in season reg changes every time before you go out? I fish around 4 to 6 days a week and  have yet to google in season changes, just mostly keep up with changes on the forums and the odd person on the river. Mind you when the an season change comes I've always been aware of it in one way or another. Not saying this is the right way to do it but it just seems really labor intensive to keep up with searching this info out on the internet.

and for the record I know Steel Mo and he's a stand up guy for sure

Thanks Bud,  Still gotta hit the flow with you one of these days.
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!