Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Honest Mistake.  (Read 11381 times)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
Honest Mistake.
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »

I'm sure most of you have seen or heard about the incident of myself "accidentally" Killing a chum for roe.

Anyways, I just want to clear up somethings as the way it was presented seemed like i was a poacher.

The only reason i want to post this is because i find this site very useful, as there are alotta great peopl on this forum. There are also the oposites.

I woke up early one morning check the regulations and headed out to the river.  I "NEVER" keep chums unless im low on roe.  I read regulations that the chum was not closed until i believe it was either sep19/oct19 Cant remember exactly now since its been awhile.  I also confirmed with a gentleman on the river.  He said that it wasn't closed.  Maybe he was the wrong person to ask.  Bottom line is that it was an Honest mistake.  I went home after and re-read the regulation and i was reading it for the fraser river.  a gentleman on this forum had me on FB.  And saw i had pictures posted, i would not of posted the pics if i knew i was illegally killing a fish.  He also asked me where it was from first.  i Said the vedder ( also wouldn't of told him if i knew ).  I panicked!!!!  And after seeing it posted on here i deleted him.  Anyways, you guys can choose whatever you decide to think of me.  That's up to you.  Those that do know me, I never do anything like this.  

The day before i actually took down the dfo's number because i saw someone snagging the day before and took a video clip of him.... Then this suprisingly happens to myself.  Been fishing the vedder for the last 4 years and now im on a centerpin, and gotten into fly fishing the last month.  I have ethnics and will not fish with anyone that do things illegally.

Thanks again Rodney for this awsome forum.  Once again i apologize for the Honest mistake, as fishing for me is a passion and a sport.  I enjoy getting out to catch fish and release them.  The point is to get out to do what you enjoy doing.  People that know me personally on this site  can vouch for me.

Tight lines.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:30:56 PM by Steal_Mo_Head »
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Honest Mistake.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »

Hmmm......i guess you learned your lesson, but why would you only kill a chum ONLY for the roe ?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »

I dunno that he meant is quite like that Jim.  I wouldn't likely ever keep a male chum because I don't like chum meat quite enough to warrant killing a chum for meat alone.  If its meat and roe, then I'll keep a chum, cure the roe and smoke the meat.

Mistakes happen, at least you bothered to check the regs before you headed out unlike the last one we crucified.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »

Hmmm......i guess you learned your lesson, but why would you only kill a chum ONLY for the roe ?

Is there a rule that says you can't?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

Is there a rule that says you can't?

Piscatur non solum piscator  ;)
Try the fly!

Fish Slayer

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:19:41 PM »

Sounds like an honest mistake however you were still in the wrong for not checking the correct posting. You're lucky that a buddy on face book caught you and not a CO.

A fish is only to be killed if it will not go to waste. However what is not going to waste? It could be used as garden fertilizer, that is a useful purpose however the way the rules are written it's so grey it's pathetic. It should be written in some way so that it says for human consumption. Just like a ton of other grey stuff in the regulations should be fixed to better our sport.

fishinmansam

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:29:29 PM »

everyone needs to chill and roll a joint, it's a HONEST MISTAKE chill out boys  :-*

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »

--I'm not going to slam you for it and good reminder to the rest of us.

--But why can't the regs be searchable such that I just put in date and gps or river section name and have all current pertaining regs show up in bold that pertain.

--When in doubt I don't fish but I get frustrated trying to read the regs plus checking each day to see if in season changes but I guess that's  just the nature of the beast.

bklem

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:17:59 PM »

everyone needs to chill and roll a joint, it's a HONEST MISTAKE chill out boys  :-*

ill just stick with a beer, but i agree.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »

Atleast you manned up and took responsibility for it now. Better late then ever.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

azafai

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 11:05:54 PM »

don't feel bad.  you did what you could.  too me it clearly looks like it was a mistake, and you regret it enough.  you also honestly indicate that you take care for it in the future.
tight lines and enjoy fishing.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 06:18:06 AM »

Good on you for admitting your mistake.
Riverman

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 10:29:14 AM »

mistake or not you would still recieve a fine by a CO, especially if it was me  ;)

HOOK - is a hard my friend when it comes to some things
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

azafai

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »

of course, that is a understandable and a different case.  a CO officer has to do her/his job regardless.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 01:01:51 PM »

Yes, you made a mistake.
But, you manned up and admitted it and took full responsibility for it.
So, all is good in my books.
A good lesson to you and to all of us that you can never be careful enough.

Thanks for sharing your experience.