Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skagit line help  (Read 1974 times)

prairiefire

Skagit line help
« on: October 02, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »

I have a Cabelas LST Spey 13' 8/9. I need a skagit line for it and Rio's specs are 575 grain. What would work better 550 or 600 grain?

thanks
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Skagit line help
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »

I would go up to the 600 grains if it were me.

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: Skagit line help
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »

As a starting point, look at the grain window of the rod, add the low number and the high number and divide by 2 and you get the mid point of the grain window.  That's a good place to start.  After that, you start trying different lines with different grains to fine tune a line that also fits with your casting style.  Some people like a heavier line to feel more load, others like less.  As an example, a TFO Deer Creek 5/6  is rated 350-550 and the mid point is 450.  I tried a 450 didn't like it one bit (although I've read guys who think it's great) and I've lined mine with a 360 compact skagit and I get good casts with it.  Now, I'm thinking of upping the line size a bit  and look for something in the 375-390 range to see how that works.  As it stands, my buddy can cast the entire line and running line (that's how I know if a line and rod are a good match).  I can get somewhere around 20 strips out + the head and tip.  But MY preference is a lighter line.  Mike Kinney, one of the guys who helped design the rod, suggests a heavier line.  So I can't suggest which would work better for you per se.  And then, after that you have to decide what kind of skagit line, compact or regular, which brand because not all lines are built the same as they have different characteristics such as front taper, rear taper, material used to make the line. Oy Vey!
President Club S. C. & P.