Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Line weight advise  (Read 2377 times)

TtotheE

Line weight advise
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:03:20 AM »

I have a 4 weight Dragonfly 9' rod, but find that the Cortland #5 WF dry line doesn't cut the mustard, as it doesn't load the rod enough. Any suggestions on line weight and brand I could try? I cast from shore, and distance is what I'm looking for.

Thnx in advance.

prairiefire

Re: Line weight advise
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:07:44 AM »

Use should try Rio Gold. I've been recommended it by a couple of different shops. I hear it casts great and far. Ask at your local shop for some advice. just tell them you what you want and they'll set you up. Remember you get what you pay for. :D
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »

--from shore area do you have room for back cast or are you trying to roll or single handed spey?
--if room behind maybe try double haul for increased line speed and load.

--for quick load and shoot could start with leaving more line in the water.

--before buying new line... your local fly shop should have some demo lines to try out on the rod.
-- could be that you are actually using to much speed in the cast.. if you slow down may get better load.

--obviously can't really tell without seeing how you are casting but often a partner can see something in the cast motion that is causing the problem rather than the line. Pro golfers use coaches to tweak their game so don't take this that I am making any assumptions on your ability.

--On the modern rods I don't usually line up even with a dry line I would usually use a #4 on a #4 rod rather than a #5

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:50:47 PM by skaha »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »

I agree with Skaha about not lining up. Cortland is a very good line. Which Cortland line do you have? One piece advice for achieving for distance is don't over exert including don't speed up your stroke. If anything you may have to wait a bit longer on the back cast and let the line roll out behind you. Second advice is are you casting the entire head? Make sure you have the line out  to where there is a bit of running line off the top of the rod.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TtotheE

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 01:49:03 AM »

All great replies, thank you. I'll experiment with my stroke/speed. Although there's some brush behind, there's enough back casting space that I should be able to get the entire head behind me.

I have the Cortland 444 WF Rocket Taper. I've cleaned the line tonight, so it'll perhaps go through the guides a little smoother. Will report back with results.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »

If you can get the fly line to land out in front of you fifty to sixty feet away that is doing pretty good. However, if you really want to punch out some really long casts using the single hander, one line I have heard good reviews about is the Rio Outbound fly line.  Check out Rio's website for further details.  A bit pricey but if distance is what you are looking for it may be something you want to check out.