Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: salmon fly set up advice  (Read 3459 times)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
salmon fly set up advice
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »

looking for some advice on my set up, i bought the reel and a fly rod a few years back, the first time out on the rod it snapped on a chum and i've been scared to fish salmon ever since then, can't be breaking rods; that and i've taken about a 2 year break from fishing. I've since received a new fly rod, so here is what i have, let me know what you think it's best capable for, obviously with the springs and chums lurking around i don't want to be afraid that they are going to break my set up.

Sage Launch 890 #8 line 9'0 3 15/16 oz
Daiwa Kevlar Whisker  7-9, 8.5'

Reels -
Ross Cimarron 5
Sage 1680

Line - Rio multi tip and Sci Angle wet tip 3 WF - 5 F/S

Basically both sages are brand new, i used the rod a few times trout fishing, but the reel is new in box.

I have all this gear and i know almost nothing about fly fishing for salmon, it's always been some what of an interest as my dad was into it but he passed away when i was young, the Daiwa rod was his, and i have quite a bit of fly tying gear, etc.

Banny

Re: salmon fly set up advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »

The sage rod is a decent stick, but you may find it a little soft when slinging the two heavier tips on your Rio multi tip line.  Not impossible, just more difficult to carry a lot of line and pull that tip up to the surface.

Either reel is well suited for pursuing salmon.

J

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »

am i going to have to go swimming if i get into a larger fish though, if i want to land it?

Banny

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »

That setup will handle everything other than the big springs.  Unless you are targeting them specifically that is probably not a big concern.  Chum and coho and jack springs will not be an issue as long as you do not do anything silly.  If you foul hook springs or chum just break them off and do not try to get them in as that is when accidents happen.

The big springs can be taken on an 8wt but it is a struggle when they are above around 15#.  If you fish more secluded stretches then give it a shot.  I did last year (with my 8 wt) and found I could not pressure the fish enough to fight them effectively, and did not actually land any of the five fair caught springs I hooked while targeting them when I got sick of the pink fishing.

People will disagree with me but if you are in a situation when you are fishing around a lot of other people, most do not appreciate someone taking half an hour to land a fish while displacing other folks because of inadequate control of the fish.  If you intend to release the fish you are targeting then long fights are also more detrimental to the fish as well.

J

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »

thanks for the info, i cant wait to get back on the flow and give it another go!

maverick

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »

I agree with Banny that the Chinooks on an 8wt 9' single hander will be time consuming to land. They won't break your stick they will just be on forever but the Chums are and will be a great fight for that rod. Once you find a lane where the Coho and Chum are travelling up your in for a great day of catching.
Good Luck