Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: YouTube fishing video  (Read 273427 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: YouTube fishing video
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures

funpig

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:50:28 AM »

The chum snagging video from Alaska certainly looks disturbing based upon our local standards and laws.  But if you read the youtube poster's comments, he defends the practiice and states that what he is doing is legal and that he is killing unwanted surplus "ranched" hatchery chum for bait.  Anything wrong with killing a chum just for bait here in the lower mainland? 

The same thing for the "spoonbill snagging" videos.  I have never seen a spoonbill before and watching videos of guys snagging them with multiple 3/0 treble hooks is kind of shocking.  But it seems that is legal and the acceptable standard for fishing for spoonbills.

Same thing with that documentary "The Cove".  The sight of killing dolphins made me want to vomit.  But if you step back and view it as a harvest, how is the harvesting of dolphin different from the harvesting of salmon, tuna or turbot or buffalo in the past.  If the species is being harvested to the point of extinction, then it should be stopped.  But if it is regulated and sustainable, then why not?  Is killing a wild salmon less wrong than killing a dolphin because a salmon was never given a name and its own tv series?

Not saying that I agree with any of the above or that I would do it, but trying to see the point of view of the other guy.

funpig

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:06:20 PM by funpig »

andychan

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »

Is killing a wild salmon less wrong than killing a dolphin because a salmon was never given a name and its own tv series?

I appreciate your critique of anthropomorphication but you are wrong for other reasons.

First off dolphins are mammals and personally I'm not in favour of killing them for that fact alone.

Second, Dolphin meat sucks. I tasted it and has a real unappetizing aftertaste. They are also very large creatures that store a lot of carcinogen from our polluted oceans. Not the smartest thing to eat as a food source.

Third, when i fish for salmon they are going to be dead in a week anyways so I don't feel I've really reduced it's time for enjoying their life.

So, yes. Killing a dolphin is much worse then killing a salmon.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »

I appreciate your critique of anthropomorphication but you are wrong for other reasons.

First off dolphins are mammals and personally I'm not in favour of killing them for that fact alone.

Second, Dolphin meat sucks. I tasted it and has a real unappetizing aftertaste. They are also very large creatures that store a lot of carcinogen from our polluted oceans. Not the smartest thing to eat as a food source.

Third, when i fish for salmon they are going to be dead in a week anyways so I don't feel I've really reduced it's time for enjoying their life.

You are still arguing from an ethical standpoint on the issue and allowing your feelings to block what funpig said. He does not agree with the practice but your opinion of the quality of the meat, size of the mamal, or the fact that it is a mamal is an opinion and only that. They allow a harvest of a species and there really is no difference whether its a salmon, a deer, or a dolphin. Legal practices are just that and if they are inside the rules who are we to say they are doing something wrong. I also disgusted at seeing them killed in that way but someone who doesn't love my harvest of coho, sockeye, and chinooks will frown on me in just the same way but I also am practicing within the rules for the said species. Opinions blur facts. There is no difference in this case between killing a dolphin or a salmon.

Cheers
Derek

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:58:51 AM by dereke »
always a student

funpig

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »

It is wrong to kill dolphins, but it is acceptable to taste them to satisfy one's curiousity?  If the meat is tasty, then it is okay to kill and eat it?  Moose, deer, ducks, cows and chickens are also mammals;  the fact is a lot of our food used to live and breathe.  Most fish in North America contain mercury;  there are suggested limits to the amount of fish people should consume because of the mercury toxicity.  So is it okay to kill old but not young?  How about killing something before it has had a chance to reproduce?   I am not criticizing you but just want to point out that your idea of what is right or wrong may not be shared by others.  (PS  I am not that smart.  I had to look up "anthropomorphication".)

andychan

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »

Nope not just an ethical standpoint - practical. Salmon spawn and die. I intercept them just before the end of their cycle. Dolphins do not spawn and die. It's not fair to cut them off early. Most dolphins have a ton of mercury. Salmon do not. Dolphins can be trained - they shows some serious signs of intelligence. Salmon cannot be trained.

And the time  I tried dolphin was in the home of a Japanese family. I was being "nice" (plus I was a little lost in translation). I would not do that again.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:57:32 PM by andychan »

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »

Moose, deer, ducks, cows and chickens are also mammals

Ducks and chickens are not mammals.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 05:06:42 PM »

Looks beautiful out there, Im glad I dont have to fish from the sewers.  :P
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51:11 AM »

Here's one from a couple of weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WsFg_VBCs8

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 11:37:10 PM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod