Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freshwater Fisheries focus group- insights?  (Read 3452 times)

obie1fish

Freshwater Fisheries focus group- insights?
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:57:49 PM »

I just received an e-mail invitation to attend a focus group. It says,

"The B.C. Ministry of Environment, together with the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC and Simon Fraser University, is conducting a study of BC anglers to determine if we are providing the types of fishing opportunities sought by anglers of all types (including frequent and infrequent anglers)."

It goes on:

"The focus groups will be conducted by researchers from Simon Fraser University in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment. We would like to hear from all types of anglers about their participation in fishing: how and why they fish, what type of fishing they do and also what may keep them away from fishing."

I definitely plan on attending, especially since I am not short on giving my opinion.  :o  It appears to be an opportunity many of us on this site would love to have, so I won't miss it.

Anyone else been invited to one of these, past or present? Any thoughts?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Freshwater Fisheries focus group- insights?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:41:09 PM »

A little over 10 years ago I attended a stakeholders workshop put on by the FFSBC.  Met Rodney there as he was a key person involved with the promotion of fishing through his website (my how this site has grown).  Also met some people from the industry, i.e. Michelle Berry from Berrys bait and a representative from Berkley.  I was working for the Pacific Salmon Foundation at the time.  I found it quite interesting as some ideas were discussed on how to increase participation in the Freshwater Rec fishery sector most notably how to get more young people into fishing.

Rodney could probably expand more at what the workshop was like. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:09:39 PM »

A little over 10 years ago I attended a stakeholders workshop put on by the FFSBC.  Met Rodney there as he was a key person involved with the promotion of fishing through his website (my how this site has grown).  Also met some people from the industry, i.e. Michelle Berry from Berrys bait and a representative from Berkley.  I was working for the Pacific Salmon Foundation at the time.  I found it quite interesting as some ideas were discussed on how to increase participation in the Freshwater Rec fishery sector most notably how to get more young people into fishing.

Rodney could probably expand more at what the workshop was like.

For some reason I can't remember being at that meeting or ever attended a meeting with you lol… :o Maybe fishing was on my mind... :-[

I don't know much about the focus group that obie1fish mentioned but I'll ask my colleagues when I get a chance. FFSBC is involved in so many projects it's hard to keep up with them all. :) The society has several departments - Research/science, operation/hatchery and sportfishing/marketing. My involvement is mainly with the sportfishing group but at times I do work with the research and hatchery groups.

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »

I went last night to the freshwater fisheries focus group. A small group of us filled out questionnaires and discussed the questions. It was quite the broad demographic, and many aspects and methods of angling were represented.

Although we were allowed to leave at any time (and still receive the stipend), everyone stayed to the very end, and the atmosphere was quite friendly and willing to share. I won't share what anyone else said (confidentiality and all that), but at the end I did take the opportunity to say that I felt we needed a more visible enforcement presence out there.

In being asked about the possibility of more focus groups like this, both here and elsewhere in the province, our moderator (a doctorate from SFU) mentioned how difficult it is to get permission to talk to people face to face in this manner, mostly due to confidentiality and anonymity issues.

I would encourage anyone who is invited to one of these focus groups in the future to take advantage of the opportunity. I see it as being like voting: if you have the chance to have your say, say it, or else you have no right to complain. And what's more, you come out of the evening with some cash to finally pick up that little bit of fishing gear that Santa forgot- or to join a fisheries society with some nice coin left over for the tackle store!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:31:05 AM by obie1fish »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:37:33 PM »

In being asked about the possibility of more focus groups like this, both here and elsewhere in the province, our moderator (a doctorate from SFU) mentioned how difficult it is to get permission to talk to people face to face in this manner, mostly due to confidentiality and anonymity issues.

Wait WAT?  Could you suggest that the moderator post up here and other forums, asking if anyone would like to volunteer (may be this would screw with the demographics they want?).  I think they would get a good response, without the need for payment.  I personally would have no problems about not being paid, remaining anonymous or keeping my comments confidential.