Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Limit Going To 4?  (Read 25337 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Sockeye Limit Going To 4?
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »

I heard this morning a meeting was being held about a possible increase to 4 sockeye a day.  ???

Gosh haven't people caught enough already, as well with a limit of 2 doesn't that get people off the river and leave space for others to get theirs too?

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Limit Going To 4?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »

I can see people bring 4 generations to fish...great great grandma, grandma, dad and the kids............the mayhem continues!!!!!

bcguy

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »

Hopefully smarter heads prevail and it stays at 2 per day in non tidal waters. I'd like to see this fishery closed in the Fraser permanently and go back to to pre 1992, if you wanted sockeye you fished them in the salt chuck. Too much greed out there now. :(

I would agree with that, as long as it applied to commercial as well through out the river, it would end up being cheaper buying them from F/N any how. ::)
But all things in perspective, I cant see why business should take priority over any recreational fishing.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »

Hopefully smarter heads prevail and it stays at 2 per day in non tidal waters. I'd like to see this fishery closed in the Fraser permanently and go back to to pre 1992, if you wanted sockeye you fished them in the salt chuck. Too much greed out there now. :(

You may be right about the greed, however it is prevalent as well in a group that uses nets rather than long leaders......   :o

Take away a market and you take away a reason to illegally catch and sell fish. Close the sockeye fishery to the recreational fishermen and it will open up a huge market for illegally caught fish.

Remember the sockeye fishermen are there to put meat on the table. If they can't catch them they will find a place to buy them....    Watch how much greed and illegal activity happens then........  >:(
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

lovetofish

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »

I heard this morning a meeting was being held about a possible increase to 4 sockeye a day.  ???

Gosh haven't people caught enough already, as well with a limit of 2 doesn't that get people off the river and leave space for others to get theirs too?
I totally agree Chris. The fishery has been open for 3 weeks now.  Most people should have enough fish by now. We won't be going back out for sockeye this year. You can only eat so many fish.

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 10:57:20 PM »

i havent been out once and plan to get out tomorrow after work...4 per day would be nice

any word on it?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 11:00:34 PM »

i havent been out once and plan to get out tomorrow after work...4 per day would be nice

any word on it?

If the daily quota is to be changed, the earliest when a fishery notice would be issued is sometimes tomorrow.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »

If the daily quota is to be changed, the earliest when a fishery notice would be issued is sometimes tomorrow.
Monday is a work day for some. ;D

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:26:42 AM »

Sockeye mania that I've witnessed at the bars I've fished has so far been quite civiil and  without incident. An increased to 4/day liimit would increase the crowding and waiting time for spots to fish and definitely cause tempers to flare. Besides the Thompson river Coho are due to show up any time now and Labour Day and DFO"s conservation measures will be posted with "selective angling" methods  being  requested and hopefully enforced. I think as long as the Commercial guys keep their prices low it should off set the need for the "Harvesters " to keep flossing socks.

I know that most of us have without any trouble / effort flossed our limit every time out with sometimes a bonus spring. Freezers are getting full and friends and relatives have already gotten a couple of socks given to them a few times over by now. Gotta ask ourselves haven't we harvested enough yet ??
It ain't the roe bro'

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:18:38 AM »

I took my sons on an overnighter this weekend...we got 8 out of 12 fish....thats was a lot of processing time, I would really want any more than that.  Not after such a long opening already.

I also heard people on the bar talk about some of ther sockey going bad...I really think 4 would be over the top right now...most people have had a long and productive fishery...we should learn when to be thankful!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:43:19 AM »

I totally agree Chris. The fishery has been open for 3 weeks now.  Most people should have enough fish by now. We won't be going back out for sockeye this year. You can only eat so many fish.

I personally have as many fish as I need.....  ;D

The criteria for allocating sockeye is based on conservation, first nation allocations, then "fair" allocations to the FN, Commercial and Recreational groups. If the commercial and FN groups are allowed to catch extra fish then the other groups should as well....

I believe the concept of the government allocating a resource based on whether a particular group has had enough is something that is thankfully reserved for communist ruled countries.....   :o
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »

Any updates on this rumor? (at work on my phone)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »

No daily quota increase at this time.

Steelie1030

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 12:28:47 PM »

A couple of points which will definitely sound like whining....first why do the commercial openings happen before a weekend and then destroy fishing on the weekend for guys who work all week and only get a chance to fish on the weekend. Second, and this next comment does not reflect on all  local Chilliiwack fishers so most of you please don't take offence...while fishing on the weekend I saw the same local guy take his two fish, go home and come back to the same spot, bonk two more, leave and come back a third time just as I was leaving (for Burnaby) and continue to fish... I also met another guy who boasted that he had taken well over a hundred and fifty fish and that his best day was twenty-six in one day!! He told me that he had a great way around the system....he fished and kept everything he caught, and his buddy was a native who carried his fish out for him. I asked him how he could possible justify his actions and his answer was that he couldn't care less what other people said and that fisheries could never do anything to him because he never carried any fish out with him. I now have a grand total of six and I'm done. I guess the afore-mentioned methods are legal but really slimy.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 12:37:56 PM »

I totally argee with opening up the comercial openings right before a weekend...why not let them fish mon-wed and allow 2-3 days for the river to fill up for the weekend crowd.  And when there are so many commercial socks that the processors and boats are running out of ice and cant process them, whats the point?

I saw a guy walk two socks out to a car his buddy had just drove in with.  They looked guilty as hell and didnt do anything while I was at my car...my guess is the guy drove down to the next bar for another two.