Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Limit Going To 4?  (Read 25340 times)

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Limit Going To 4?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »

This weekend should be good as the fleet is open monday and wednesday. if thats it for this week then ok for long weekend.as for 4 per day i am in 2 minds about it. i usually go twice a week so i would only go once,but it might get too crowded if everybody is trying for 4.pros and cons.

lovetofish

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »

While fishing yesterday, we heard a fellow below us tell someone else that they had already got their limit at Peg that morning. Unfortunately it happens. It would take a lot of DFO or COs to stop it.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »

No daily quota increase at this time.
Thank God!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »

We should have 4 when the run was way more than expected a few weeks back. Now after many trips people have already got what they need. But it will be nice to get your fish with less trips to save gas money, time and not polluting the environemt. Crowding at first, but as people cut back on trips, the bar will have less visitors later. Sockeye fishing is not pretty, crowd, snags, and a bit boring (too easy unless commercial openings). It is purely a meat fishery.  I rather go less trips to catch my fish. Bring on the coho.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 05:07:35 PM »

This is why resource is not managed by users, but rather by trained individuals who are required to follow policies.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »

This is why resource is not managed by users, but rather by trained individuals who are required to follow policies.

Without an annual limit, I agree.. keep the limit at 2/day.  With an annual limit, I tend to agree with the previous post.  I can't for the life of me figure out why an annual limit is not in place.  I can think of plenty of uses for an annual limit and catch recording, I cannot think of one good reason not to have one in place.

NaStY5000

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 08:35:38 PM »

Mainly because you have no idea. If there are too many fish in the spawning channel there will be less fry............  Pretty simple if you ask me....

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 09:35:35 PM »

Mainly because you have no idea. If there are too many fish in the spawning channel there will be less fry............  Pretty simple if you ask me....

Care to elaborate? I think predicting salmon returns, escapement, etc is far from simple.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »

Ummmm...and you are?
A fishery biologist with a Doctorate in salmon reproduction in their natural habitat, at least.
Only someone with such credentials would have the collateral to make such an arrogant statement.

Unless you have such a degree, start by educating yourself from some decent articles found in the media:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/30082010/74/bc-unfounded-fears-sockeye-threaten-future-returns.html

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 09:47:32 PM »

The recreational sector has a coast wide 5% allocation quota. To raise the daily quota of 2 fish to 4 in a ongoing fishery, many items have to be considered. The changes are not to be made to accommodate your convenience, but rather how it would affect the resource and all users of the resource.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »

Each river has a carrying capacity to produce fish and it is true that if you send more fish to spawn it doesn't mean that you will get more fry.
The fish will dig out the nests of earlier fish and ruin their eggs. This is especially true for river fish, which sockeye are not. They spawn in lakes.
But it doesn't mean if you let more fish spawn you will see less fry.
Of course out commercial fishery friends and our tackle shop friends have taken that up a few notches and say that it's better to catch more fish so that the ones left can product more.
I've heard this and this is a bunch of crock.
This is all about money.

I have always wondered how the plague of flossing has spread so fast and wide in such a short time.
I don't do it, none of the guys I know do it, none of the guys I fish with do it. Nor would we recommend it.
So how does it work.
Well, all of us visit our good friends at out local tackle shops.
So I had my answer while a visited my local tackle shop last week and asked for a recommendation on what to use for sockeye.

So yes, foul hooking is legal.
During sockeye season.
Those fisheries and law enforcement guys that put it in the regulations, what do they know..
And yes support your local tackle and be selective.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:55:31 PM by adriaticum »

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »

Each river has a carrying capacity to produce fish and it is true that if you send more fish to spawn it doesn't mean that you will get more fry.
The fish will dig out the nests of earlier fish and ruin their eggs. This is especially true for river fish, which sockeye are not. They spawn in lakes.

Do the Adams river sockeye spawn in a lake then ?????? I have my doubts about that statement, as far as I know sockeye usually spawn in rivers and streams that are linked to a lake.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 11:48:02 PM »

Sockeye salmon do not spawn in lakes, they spawn in streams that are connected to lakes. Some populations migrate into the ocean immediately once hatched, but most populations retreat into lakes where they would spend one or two years to feed and rear.

The problem with overspawning isn't really the fear of late arrivals damaging early arrivals' redds as interest groups are lobbying (btw, why are users rather than managers and biologists discussing this in the media?). Redd damaging is what you would expect to see when everyone mate at the same time. ::) Whether the system is full or over in capacity, the amount of hatched fry would not differ that much.

The problem is the amount of food available for these fry. If productivity does not match demand, then surviving fry will not be as big, therefore mortality may increase when outmigration begins. That being said, should one take the excessive amount of carcasses into account when determining productivity? Wouldn't productivity be correlated to the number of returning spawners therefore food for fry should be extremely abundant when the system receives surplus broods?

This is just one of many factors that determine success in spawners, eggs, fry and smolts. The fish-hungry public may be easily convinced by one simple statement "want more fish, catch more fish", but ultimately trained individuals who study the species closely without any financial interests are the only ones who should be determining what is best for our fish.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 06:59:48 AM »

I can't for the life of me figure out why an annual limit is not in place.  I can think of plenty of uses for an annual limit and catch recording, I cannot think of one good reason not to have one in place.

This is something I have really been wondering lately too. There is annual limits for chinook and steelhead, why not add an annual limit for coho and sockeye as well?

I can think of reasons for it but not against it.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 07:20:24 AM »

This is something I have really been wondering lately too. There is annual limits for chinook and steelhead, why not add an annual limit for coho and sockeye as well?

I can think of reasons for it but not against it.

What would be the point of putting an annual limit in place when there is no manpower available to enforce it?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[