Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Limit Going To 4?  (Read 25339 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Sockeye Limit Going To 4?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 08:29:21 AM »

Plus, if you fill your license, the only thing stopping you from printing a nice empty one is the honour system.

Ask Skytrain how THAT's working :(

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »

So because we don't have enough enforcement we shouldn't put an annual limit on the fish?

That's a very poor argument.  We don't have enough enforcement for daily limits or possession limits either (I have not been checked in over 100 days on the water these past few years) yet nobody would suggest getting rid of them, because they serve a purpose... to give those that follow the laws a guideline and to prevent against "legal" abuses.

There are plenty of honest fishermen (oxymoron, I know) out there who would follow the law to the letter regarding annual limits and recording fish.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »

I heard this morning a meeting was being held about a possible increase to 4 sockeye a day. 

Gosh haven't people caught enough already, as well with a limit of 2 doesn't that get people off the river and leave space for others to get theirs too?

For me the Sockeye fishing is a very long drive.    At four, one successful trip would be sufficient, saves fuel and is greener.    I also have a number of friends who have never tried this fishing and I won't be able to get them out until the end and only once.     I would certainly like to see it go to four.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »

Sockeye salmon do not spawn in lakes, they spawn in streams that are connected to lakes.

Rod... you should know that sockeye do spawn in lakes, unless you just simply left out the MOST part of that statement.
There are creek/river spawners AND lake shore spawners. Chilliwack lake has both types of fish, and almost all Cultus Lake fish are shore spawners.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 01:17:59 PM »

I stand corrected Dan. I was generalizing it a bit under the assumption that we are focusing the discussion on mid and upper Fraser populations.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 03:54:47 PM »

when the sockey returned 50-75 years ago did we need to harvest a large % of the fish ? I keep hearing there are too many sockeye spawning but what happened way back when ?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 05:33:38 PM »

This is why resource is not managed by users, but rather by trained individuals who are required to follow policies.

Well said!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »

So because we don't have enough enforcement we shouldn't put an annual limit on the fish?

Yup! 

Laws have no meaning unless they are enforced.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

purple monster

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 06:50:11 PM »

does mother nature really need our help in managing the fish stock????    too much or not enough ?   I was raised to believe that  mother nature needs to be obeyed, not ordered.   But, of course, preservation efforts are needed.

it seems that raising the daily amount sure can be more convenient for the occasional fisherman, but , it could be an over abundance for the daily returning visitors.  I have seen in the past weeks the same people fishing over and over again on a daily basis. yes, including myself.    two is plenty, but if mother nature needs to be helped, then, how do you establish 2, 4 or even whatever.  maybe  they should regulate the cooler size ??

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »

Each river has a carrying capacity to produce fish and it is true that if you send more fish to spawn it doesn't mean that you will get more fry.
The fish will dig out the nests of earlier fish and ruin their eggs. This is especially true for river fish, which sockeye are not. They spawn in lakes.

Do the Adams river sockeye spawn in a lake then ?????? I have my doubts about that statement, as far as I know sockeye usually spawn in rivers and streams that are linked to a lake.

Sorry correct, they actually spawn in both lakes and rivers but spend most of their time in lakes as fry as far as I know.
Regardless, the same logic applies. We shouldn't not be catching more fish to "make room".

My big dissapointment here was to personally hear guys at tackle shops recommending that I floss the sockeye.
That really pissed me off.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 07:57:03 PM by adriaticum »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »

Well said!

It is managed well by the biologists (as best as they possibly can) but it's not enforced by the police, COs etc.

bcguy

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 09:24:23 PM »

This is just one of many factors that determine success in spawners, eggs, fry and smolts. The fish-hungry public may be easily convinced by one simple statement "want more fish, catch more fish", but ultimately trained individuals who study the species closely without any financial interests are the only ones who should be determining what is best for our fish.

Truth, a rare thing indeed, we are so used of listening to the opinion of the lobbyist and special interest groups, its refreshing to read a statement like this. Thanks Rod
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 11:16:33 PM »

Two is nice, four is better...  Eat lots of fish and don't get many opportunities to get down.  A two day limit would be nice....  Feed me!  Wonder how many of these fish are never going to get the chance to spawn due to overcrowding???

distanc3

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 11:21:51 AM »

hello the limit states limit of 4 sockeyes a day but what area is harrison/agassiz?
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.htm

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »

That limit is only for TIDAL waters...

Harrison / Agassiz is well outside that boundary.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!