Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jennifer Atchison, 1938 - 2010  (Read 2904 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Jennifer Atchison, 1938 - 2010
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »

Jennifer Atchison, a founding member of the Stoney Creek Environment Committee, passed away last night after battling with cancer. She was 72. A dedicated volunteer, she and other Burnaby residents have brought Stoney Creek (a tributary of the Brunette River) alive in the last twenty years. Once a salmon-less stream, Stoney Creek now has chum and coho salmon returning, as well as nooksack dace, which is an endangered species. Today, the group works with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, MetroVancouver, the City of Burnaby, the Sapperton Fish and Game Club, and corporate sponsors to expand their projects, including the popular Great Salmon Send-off. In twenty years, the Stoney Creek Environment Committee and their partners have released approximately 200,000 young salmon, completed stream clean ups to remove debris and invasive species, replanted native plant species, educated and lobbied others to ensure pollutants like road salt do not enter the stream. This work means that Stoney Creek remains an urban stream that future generations can enjoy. Earlier this year, Jennifer was honoured by the Pacific Salmon Foundation for her work. The foundation awarded her the Hungerford Award and $10,000 grant, which has gone to a volunteer salmon conservation group of her choice. Thanks Jennifer for two decades of hard work and now others will continue the stewardship.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Jennifer Atchison, 1938 - 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »

Sorry to hear.  My condolences to her family and friends.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »

That sucks.   She had so many good years ahead.  72 is too young.  Damned cancer.

I suppose that means that at least heaven's streams will be well maintained.  :'(

jon5hill

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »

Having volunteered with the SCEC for a number of years and worked with Jennifer personally, I can attest to how wonderful of a human being she was. Her tireless efforts to restore the Stoney Creeks salmon populations, promote ecologically-wise decision making, and form effective working-groups comprised of multiple private, government, and non-profit organizations proved immensely valuable to me as both a role model and a mentor. She will be greatly missed, and I hope that her work has and will continue to inspire the next generation of environmentally responsible citizens.