Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pigeon Lake, ONT  (Read 7121 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
Pigeon Lake, ONT
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »

Hello,

Has anyone here ever fished Pigeon lake in Ontario? I am going there for a couple days on a house boat trip during labour day weekend and wanted to get some advice on how to fish it. I was thinking of bringing my 5wt or 8wt fly rod. Just easier to transport then the spinning gear.

Any info would be appreciated. I believe the lake holds bass, walleye, pike, pan fish and muskie.

Thanks in advance,
Rhino :)

Ontario Guy

Re: Pigeon Lake, ONT
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »

Pigeon Lake is part of the Kawartha Lakes system and produces a good number of muskie, walleye and (smallmouth/largemouth) bass.  Lot's of pan fish such as perch, sunfish and rock bass as well.  It's a fairly large lake that I used to fish regularly 20 or so years ago.

I would suggest bringing the spinning rod and trying various spinner baits during the day and surface baits at dusk for bass.  For walleye, I recommend using a Lindy rig setup (walking sinker with floating jighead attached to leader) tipped with dew worms or leeches.  I was up fishing in an adjoining lake a few weeks ago and noticed that the water temps are very warm due to the extremely hot summer we have experienced here in Ontario so I would be cautious consuming fish that you catch.  Note that there is a slot size restriction where only walleye between 35 cm and 50 cm can be retained.

Try the various bays and look for structure, sunken islands, rock shoals and weed edges where deep water is close as well as the mouth of the river (Big Bob?) that runs through Bobcaygeon.  There will be lots of boat traffic as Pigeon lake is part of the Trent-Severn waterway (linking Georgian Bay to Lake Ontario via several lakes and locks). 

This used to be one of the better lakes to fish in the Kawartha Lakes system and I'm pretty sure this is still the case. 

Good luck!

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »

Thanks you ontario guy! I take it that for walleye I should be fishing as deep as possible?

Ontario Guy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »

Hi rhino,

Glad to share information.

It really depends upon water and weather conditions.  They tend to develop lockjaw when cold fronts are approaching. 

Walleye are very light intolerant and will hide from it during bright sunny days when the water is calm.  Under these conditions, I have had my best results fishing weeds/weed lines as well as areas with large rocks.  In this case, walleye will also go deeper as well.  If the water is choppy or if it is a cloudy day, the fish will be more out in the open but still relate to structure.  The best times to fish would be dawn and dusk where walleye will be more active and feeding.

You may be able to find topographical maps on the web.  I used to have a printed copy many years ago but can't find it...

Bass will be everywhere!  Lot's of fun, particularly for the kids. 

You will find fishing Pigeon Lake very relaxing if you stay away from the main channel used by boats navigating through the Trent-Severn system.

I was out your way last week and couldn't believe the number of people "fishing" for Sockeye on the Fraser!  I now know what the term Gong Show means!  I'm thinking about going to the Thompson around Labour Day after reading today's Fishery Notice...any thoughts on fishing around the Savona area?

Tight lines!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »

Thanks for the info OntarioGuy. Brings back some nice memories...

I grew up in Sarnia but did fish the Karwathas and Muskokas on occasion until I moved west 20 years ago. Although I love catching salmonids, walleye and smallmouth bass will always be my favourites and thinking about sunfish, bluegill, rock bass or perch brings back twinge of nostaligia for the camping trips of my childhood where a worm and a hook was all you needed for an afternoon of sheer fun.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »

Hi rhino,

Glad to share information.

It really depends upon water and weather conditions.  They tend to develop lockjaw when cold fronts are approaching.  

Walleye are very light intolerant and will hide from it during bright sunny days when the water is calm.  Under these conditions, I have had my best results fishing weeds/weed lines as well as areas with large rocks.  In this case, walleye will also go deeper as well.  If the water is choppy or if it is a cloudy day, the fish will be more out in the open but still relate to structure.  The best times to fish would be dawn and dusk where walleye will be more active and feeding.

You may be able to find topographical maps on the web.  I used to have a printed copy many years ago but can't find it...

Bass will be everywhere!  Lot's of fun, particularly for the kids.  

You will find fishing Pigeon Lake very relaxing if you stay away from the main channel used by boats navigating through the Trent-Severn system.

I was out your way last week and couldn't believe the number of people "fishing" for Sockeye on the Fraser!  I now know what the term Gong Show means!  I'm thinking about going to the Thompson around Labour Day after reading today's Fishery Notice...any thoughts on fishing around the Savona area?

Tight lines!

Thanks again for the detailed info Ontario Guy! I am looking forward to house boating with my nieces and nephews and and hopefully getting the little guys into their first fishes! Then I will be a HERO uncle thanks to you! ;D ;D

As far as the gong show goes...Im sorry you had to witness it. I don't believe its the true representation of BC sport fishing or BC sport fishermen.

I personally have never fished the Thompson but I do know that there is trout/salmon fishing to be had and steelhead in the fall.I know a FWR member that does well on the Thompson fishing for jack springs with roe. In fact he is  fishing for them probably as I am typing this. I do believe the Thompson requires a classified waters license also.

Thanks again and good luck! :)

Rhino.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:13:18 PM by rhino »