Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson Reports?  (Read 3782 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Thompson Reports?
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:10:29 PM »

Any reports? Might head down this weekend.

Thanks

patagonia

Re: Thompson Reports?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:36:01 PM »

was out last week around Juniper...fishing very slow during the day, the trout r being pushed around by the huge amount of Socks moving up river... had some good success in the evening with the old go-to T dry the California Blonde, fishing is a little spotty and you have to find where the trout are holding outside of the traveling lanes for salmon... saw a few rods fishing for salmon, god knows why u would wanna keep a fish that far up

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »

was out last week around Juniper...fishing very slow during the day, the trout r being pushed around by the huge amount of Socks moving up river... had some good success in the evening with the old go-to T dry the California Blonde, fishing is a little spotty and you have to find where the trout are holding outside of the traveling lanes for salmon... saw a few rods fishing for salmon, god knows why u would wanna keep a fish that far up
In all respect I have been fishing jacks in this area for over 30 years, just as good eating as they are in the ocean and many are very bright too, Rodney can attest to this also. ;D ;D

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:43:09 PM »

Been up there lately Chris?

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »

I fly fished the Thompson on sunday for rainbows. I really enjoyed getting away from the fraser crowds and tossing around some flies. Was able to find lots of fish. Didn't land anything huge but did have some big ones come up to take a look at my fly. Dries and foam hoppers were all I fished.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »

Patagonia is talking about catching chinook salmon much further upstream, Juniper Beach, which is not that far down from Kamloops Lake. Those fish are definitely not as fresh as the ones that are caught downstream from Spences Bridge. To residents who live in the Interior, I doubt it matters that much. To coastal residents who have more opportunities for fresh fish, then it wouldn't be worth the effort and time to target those.

ricer

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:17:19 AM »

I also fished on Sunday- above nicola
caught a moderate amount - 10 - on california blondes.  only a couple above 16" - but very skinny (snake like) with a big head.

I have just started fly fishing the T last year for trout but have fished (with bait) for steelhead for over 25 yrs.  Where are the little footballs we incidentaly catch during the winter months? 

Rodney - it was nice to meet you the other day at Garry while you were fly fishing for PM.  My kids think you are a celebrity after i showed them some of your videos on this site

patagonia

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:14:20 AM »

yes we were just down from the lake, Im sure you would find the odd fresh Spring up there but the ones I saw were pretty dark... I do hear the Jack fishing can be great further down stream!!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »

they have opened sockeye up there,are they any good and how do you catch them.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »

ynot can you confirm on the opening  , i cannot find it .

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

its in the dfo notice today,open 22nd

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »

Been up there lately Chris?
I am here now, its great. ;D ;D ;D

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »

--fish vary in freshness depending on where they are going to spawn.. some are going to spawn at chase so will be dark at kamloops lake,   others still have a long way to go and are surprisingly silver

--can't always predict so just have to fish more days some seem to hold at juniper or kamloops lake a few days before continuing up