Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kokanee spawning habits  (Read 1981 times)

shi man oh man

Kokanee spawning habits
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »

This year i have spent lots of time kokanee fishing on alouette lake, and i have noticed that as summer has progressed the kokanee have gotten larger and larger. These larger fish are obviously 4th year fish that are preparing for spawn. I have done some reading online about kokanee spawning, and can find nothing on Alouette kokanee. MY QUESTIONS are     1 are these kokanee shore spawners   2 when do they begin to spawn    3 what areas of the lake do they spawn    4 Has anyone ever caught a spawn ready kokanee at alouette lake, ie. Kype, Hump, Colour.     I am very interested in learning more of the life cycly of this strain of kokes.    Thanks

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Re: Kokanee spawning habits
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »

As kokanee are land locked sockeye their spawning habits are pretty similar.  They spawn late summer to early fall in shallow gravel streams connected to large lakes.  In the interior (where I am more familiar with these fish) the spawn starts pretty soon.  I'm not sure if it is a little later maybe at Allouette.  I've never caught a kokanee that appeared ready to spawn.  I'd imagine that they stop feeding then their colour changes.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
Re: Kokanee spawning habits
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »

To my knowledge the kokanee in alouette are shore spawners.