Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My new goal: Sturgeon  (Read 36417 times)

Funeral Of Hearts

My new goal: Sturgeon
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »

Well i've decided to try sturgeon fishing for the first time this year. I have lived in the lower mainland most of my life and i've been fishing for many many years but this is the year. I've decided to try to catch a sturgeon. I have no boat so I am going to be doing it from shore. Im starting from scratch (no reel and no rod - my bar rod probably won't do).

My question is..

What would you suggest, a star or lever drag reel? I have searched the internet and it seems to be a preference thing although lever drags seem to be a little more complicated.

Verdi

Re: My new goal: Sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »

I have both and i perfer a star drag, but have no problems with a lever.  The lever is good for less experience fishermen as the drag is already set, and they cannot over tighten the drag, this is what most guide boats use.  The star you have to be more careful, as you don't have a easy visual of how much drag is set, as for a rod make sure you hang 24 oz from the tip and see how it feels in the store before you buy it..Some rods don't have enough backbone to throw that kind of weight.

I does not really make a diffence with a star or lever just get the one that feels right for you.

Penn 320 is a good choice for price.( i have 1) star drag
Shimano TLD 20 is a great reel ( I have 3) lever drag very popular sturgeon reel.
Shimano torium 30 (i have 1) lever drag.

Line recommendations 150 lb power pro..

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »

I neglected to mention that i reel left handed so a 321 would work, but not a 320. Not sure if the others come in a left hand retrieve, i'll have to look it up.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »

150 lb is a little much, i use 100 lb from shore as u can fit quite a bit more on the reel as 150 is thick, penn 320 is a good choice and holds just shy of 300 yards of the 100 braided if spooled tight, b carefull with getting 2 big of a reel though as some dont cast nearly as smooth or far as a 320, penn 330 is a prime example of that, holds a ton of line but cant get 1/2 the casting distance as the 320. dependent where u are fishing lower or upper river the size of weights very, lower river i cast 8 - 14 oz weights no prob anywhere on the lower, upper river is where u get into needing 18 - 24 oz weights and casting those from shore can b quite the pain in the a** as setting ur drag for those can b finicky trying to get good distance on a cast with no backlash. dont no where u plan on fishing but if ur lookin on the lower river i can take u out for a trip or 2 to show u the basic set ups and get u into a few.
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

rides bike to work

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »

I agree I use 65 braided from shore then if you snag up you can break off.hard to break 150 you end up cutting it and loosing lots of line.anything super huge from shore would be hard to land any way better to break off than spool you than cut off

azafai

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »

very interesting post
I don't like to hijack the thread but like to know some related information:

what would be the best small size boat for sturgeon fishing??
size and type
thanks.

Verdi

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:05:15 PM »

The reason i recommend the 150lb is not because of the strength, the line is thicker and has a tendency to not bind or cut in on it self, like the thinner line does,  but i do cast from a boat so distance is not an issue..

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »

Some good information. Thanks.

I was thinking of fishing around the mission area (not sure if that's upper or lower). I live in Coquitlam, so the lower river is an option to i guess. I've tried to read up on shore locations and mission was where i thought i would go.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »

Some good information. Thanks.

I was thinking of fishing around the mission area (not sure if that's upper or lower). I live in Coquitlam, so the lower river is an option to i guess. I've tried to read up on shore locations and mission was where i thought i would go.

You can catch them in Coquitlam dont waste your gas.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »

i didn't think the coquitlam area was as productive. Having two kids means less time out fishing so i need to pick my spots more carefully.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »

also dont forget to get your sturgeon tag. I think you need to have this to even catch/fish for them now but im not 100% on it.

I have seen them caught from shore at a few places below Mission. here is a couple: Brownsville bar & Duncan bar.

If you can figure out how to get to the water on the Stave river side across from Duncan bar it would be even better because we always see sturgeon jumping over there during pink season and also lots of boats anchored catching them  ;) some having better luck then others of course.

Hint - the mill just past the mouth of the Stave is straight across from Duncan bar if i remember correctly. Good luck out there  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »

i didn't think the coquitlam area was as productive. Having two kids means less time out fishing so i need to pick my spots more carefully.

I have friends that fish the area from shore that have success. I live in Maple Ridge so I wouldnt go out that way but they do. Sturgeon are all throughout the river. Having two kids means less travel time = more fishing time ;) Trust me I am in the same position as you with the kids. If I were you I would scout out locations in your area on your own before taking the kids. I would give you some locations but my friends might see this and beat me LOL

Belong to the "4 F Club"

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »

its to bad people hide their emails isnt Brian  ::) otherwise they could be privy to info we dont want to put publicly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »

its to bad people hide their emails isnt Brian  ::) otherwise they could be privy to info we dont want to put publicly

Doesnt bother me. Its their loss.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

shizz

• Tackletester.com - Fishing Tackle Review Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:14:37 AM »

What sort of rig/terminal do you use for sturgeon?