Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My new goal: Sturgeon  (Read 36494 times)

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: My new goal: Sturgeon
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 09:27:54 AM »

its to bad people hide their emails isnt Brian  ::) otherwise they could be privy to info we dont want to put publicly

I wouldn't know how to hide or unhide my email. In fact i don't even know if it is hidden or not.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 11:41:54 PM »

A had a 10 foot Penn rod that was awesome for shore fishing Sturgeon, cant remember the model number but it was around 100 bucks or so.  Penn 320 is a perfect size reel as they hold plenty of line and can cast very comfortably. 

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 01:37:19 AM »

Terminal rig:

--mainline--------------(sliding bar weight)----(large plastic bead)---(large swivel)----dacron leader-----(5/0-8/0 octopus hook)

In the fall, roe works well as bait, dunno about spring as its my first spring I'll be fishing sturgeon.  Also, you can can a 10oz weight about 30 yards with a 8' technium and penn 330, you just have to thumb your reel with the bottom hand and place your top hand above the reel, sort of opposite of how you'd cast a steelhead rod.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:40:39 AM by Matt »

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 07:47:50 AM »

Eulachon should be your bait of choice this time of year....also include worms!

get to know someone who fishes dinos, takes a huge step out of the learning curve when someone can show you the ropes, especially if time isn't on your side..... ;)

I would not use anything other than a lever drag, especially if you have others fishing with you....as far as line weight goes.... if you fish faster water or the freshet, using 130 or 150lb lifts the weight off the bottom to easily, = bigger weights. If you are fishing summer (nice weather etc.) the bigger line is OK, but most use 100lb.....(most guides use 130-150, but that is for their clients sake as they don't want pilot error on a large(er) fish!)

Leader length for me is 20-24" with a 9/0 or 10/0 barbless.....

Sturgeon stamp from Mission Bridge and up...... Few places to fish and loads of fun!!!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »

Berry's has a cheap rod,it's a protac that sells for around 70$.I bought one about 5 years ago and it works great .When fishing from shore you want a longer rod.Mine is an 11 footer awesome for distance plus the backbone for bigger fish.I also dont use slidders from shore either they tend to break easy just use 20# dropper line for your weight but keep it short.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »

well i bought a rod yesterday. I got an eight foot trophy xl sturgeon rod at a decent price.

Im still leaning towards a star drag reel (penn 321 as i'm a lefty) Im still not sold on the lever drags, i don't like the idea of not having a scrolling guide on a worm gear to guide the line onto the spool evenly. (i know i know the worm gear will be the first thing to blow if i get a big fish on).

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »

Landed over 75 or so before I replaced my worm gear on my 320:)

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »

Landed over 75 or so before I replaced my worm gear on my 320:)

good to know.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »

Berry's has a cheap rod,it's a protac that sells for around 70$.I bought one about 5 years ago and it works great .When fishing from shore you want a longer rod.Mine is an 11 footer awesome for distance plus the backbone for bigger fish.I also dont use slidders from shore either they tend to break easy just use 20# dropper line for your weight but keep it short.

x2 on the plastic sliders, they just break sending your $7 weight flying off into the Fraser.

I own a Technium and a Amundson Sturgeon.  The Amundson is a blatant knock-off of the Shimano Technium.  Unlike the Technium, the Amundson has a orange tip that's easier to see in low-light, has a hook keeper too.  Fit and finish is good on both rods.  Both rods have handled a couple fish just fine.  They will both cast 10oz comfortably, but any more is more of a lob than a cast.  The Amundson is considerably cheaper than the Technium.

What kills worm gears is when you let the spool get out of synch will the levelwind.  If you reel the end of the line past the line guide, you have to re-synch them or your worm gear is toast.  Keep the worm gear lubed and inspect it from time to time and you'll be fine.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:15:47 PM by Matt »

wizard

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

I've got a trophy rod with penn 320.  Has been great set up for the last 3 seasons of hard sturgeon fishing.  The only thing I'd suggest is to get power pro line. I've been snapped off number of times on braided line, and there is nothing mroe frusterating then snapping off. So ya I'd suggest power pro.  Also loosen your drag off when your not using it, it's easier on the gears.

shizz

• Tackletester.com - Fishing Tackle Review Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 01:53:58 AM »

Right. Sounds similar to our Mulloway fishing down under .

We use similar set ups, and probably put in similar hours to get one. The above picture is a mates one, only a small-medium sized fish.

Definitely keen to wet a line for one of these when I finally get to BC(few weeks time!) if anyone is keen to show an aussie the ropes that is ;)

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 07:35:52 AM »

well i bought a rod yesterday. I got an eight foot trophy xl sturgeon rod at a decent price.

Im still leaning towards a star drag reel (penn 321 as i'm a lefty) Im still not sold on the lever drags, i don't like the idea of not having a scrolling guide on a worm gear to guide the line onto the spool evenly. (i know i know the worm gear will be the first thing to blow if i get a big fish on).

If you aren't doing a ton of sturgeon fishing, a level wind is the way to go..... open face reels are meant for the big fish and lots of use (IMO)... I fish dinos lots so I use an open face.... I have had  different level winds burn out, break and not smooth drag which equals lost fish too often not to step up into an way more expensive reel(s) when you have people out with you, many are first time fishers and it is more friendly for any mistakes they can make. The transition from a level to open is pretty simple as long as you remember to push the line over with your thumb so it doesn't pile up in one spot! (I usually don't have to do this unless the fish had made a long run!)

Mike

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.
I bought a penn 321 today and loaded it up with 100 lb power pro. I also picked up the terminal tackle. So all that is left is to get the bait. I'll buy the bait tomorrow and go try my luck on Sunday. Just gotta decide where to go.

azafai

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 12:12:41 PM »

keep us please posted on your success
very much interested in this too

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »

keep us please posted on your success
very much interested in this too

no problem

while im here, does anyone know how high haney wharf is off the water? it looks to be quite high off the water, and if thats the case i don't think id like to fish it for sturgeon.