Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My new goal: Sturgeon  (Read 36418 times)

azafai

Re: My new goal: Sturgeon
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2010, 04:22:07 PM »

three times out
two times in Northern Arm and one time in River Mouth Richmond
nothing up to now

banjoe

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »

Hello all,

Ive been following this thread in hopes to catch some sturgeon. I recently bought an 8ft technium rod, a penn 321 gt2, and some 100lbs Tuff line. Never casted a level wind before, so for the past couple days thats all i've been practicing. I haven't bought any terminal tackle yet, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also if someone would be willing to take the time, to teach a new guy that would be great. I live in Vancouver so the only place I've been too is the dock on no.3 road in Richmond. I am willing to drive out and meet someone who would be willing to teach me the ins and outs of sturgeon fishing. You can get my contact info on my profile page.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:38:52 PM by banjoe »

oni_kage

« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2010, 03:03:56 PM »

There are a lot of sturgeton fishermen at the no. 3 dock. Just ask one of them! I usually fish there once a week.

Instead of a slider I just use a large snap swivel. Also for the hook size I use 8/0 or 9/0 barbless gamakatsu hooks. As for weights, it depends on the current and tides where you are fishing. For the lower fraser 10-16oz is usually enough.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »

tides dont really affect the bite i find...they only affect how you anchor in the lower river.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

mistermongz

« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »

This year is my first year for sturgeon fishing...been out fishing @ 3 rd docks lots of people fish there all sorts...was out on friday night hooked on to a 4 ft...an older guy hooked a 5 foot there...i wanna go out fish in coquitlam new west aera but not familiar with the aera...would like to go out there sometime....
Fish on!!!

slick vic

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2010, 03:19:53 AM »

This year is my first year for sturgeon fishing...been out fishing @ 3 rd docks lots of people fish there all sorts...was out on friday night hooked on to a 4 ft...an older guy hooked a 5 foot there...i wanna go out fish in coquitlam new west aera but not familiar with the aera...would like to go out there sometime....

are you Aaron or Kobin?

mistermongz

« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »

are you Aaron or Kobin?

sorry neither of them...My name is Rainier...i will be there almost every weekend...
Fish on!!!

banjoe

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »

I was up at no.3 on Saturday, alot of people trying but no hooks. I'll be there on the weekends, I'm the guy with the baitcaster and the 8ft technium. So if you see me feel free to say hi. I see alot of people using 12foot Ugly sticks and big spinning reels, any reason why more people dont use baitcasters?

slick vic

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2010, 01:15:50 PM »

sorry neither of them...My name is Rainier...i will be there almost every weekend...

I'm the guy with black Shimano hat. If you see me come say hi.  ;D

slick vic

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »

I was up at no.3 on Saturday, alot of people trying but no hooks. I'll be there on the weekends, I'm the guy with the baitcaster and the 8ft technium. So if you see me feel free to say hi. I see alot of people using 12foot Ugly sticks and big spinning reels, any reason why more people dont use baitcasters?

the advantage of spinning setup is the casting distance which baitcasting can't compare.  Also, if you cast out too close you'll have high chance of getting a snag due to the cable line, logs at the bottom.
tide lines.

mistermongz

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2010, 03:39:44 PM »

right now im using a 9 foot salmon rod...just something to use till i buy a better rod...im the big filipino guy shaved head...u see me around come say hi...
Fish on!!!

banjoe

« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2010, 08:26:31 AM »

Caught my first one on Victoria day, down on No.3 road in richmond

Then my second yesterday in Burnaby at the Burnaby Foreshore Park.

Hopefully they get bigger and bigger ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:02:40 AM by banjoe »

243Pete

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »

Caught my first one on Victoria day, down on No.3 road in richmond

Then my second yesterday in Burnaby at the Burnaby Foreshore Park.

Hopefully they get bigger and bigger ;D

Very nice!  ;D Hopefully I'll see you down at some areas this summer. I still gotta pick up a new rod, reel, line and tackle for sturgeon.

mistermongz

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2010, 10:06:51 PM »

where in bby is this spot.... seems like 3 rd docks are fishless not as much fish in the past years...
Fish on!!!