Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UFC 111 Card and Predictions  (Read 16888 times)

wizard

UFC 111 Card and Predictions
« on: March 26, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »

I wish I started this thread a little earlier but couldn't as I was away from internet for awhile.  BUT, this card is stacked and is the biggest ufc card in a while.  Here is the card and some of my predictions.  Some awesome fights for sure. Please post your predictions as well for ufc 111 "proving ground"!

Goerge "Rush" St-Pierre vs Dan "Outlaw" Hardy (170 lb):  Many people are saying that Hardy has a punchers chance, which I guess is true, but I don't see this one any other way then GSP retaining champion.   Take Hardy to the ground and overwhelm him.  GSP round 3 tko gnp.

Shane Carwin vs Frank Mir (heavyweight): Wow, what a fight this is gonna be.  This fight is for number one contender and a shot at Brock's belt.  Carwin is undefeated in 11 fights, and has never gone past 2 minutes of the first round knocking every oponent out!  I don't see that happening with Mir.  Mir is a smart of fighter as there is, and I don't think he'll get caught.  I want Carwin to win, and by ko would be sweet, but I have Mir coming out on top via sub in rd 2.

Jon Fitch vs Ben Saunders (170 lb): This was supposed to be thiago alves fighting instead of Saunders, But nontheless, this is going to be a great fight.  Both fighters are in prime condition.  Tough fight to call, but I'll say Fitch just based on overall experience.  I would not be all that surprised if Saunders can pull an upset, but Fitch should win.  I'll say Fitch via decision.

Nate Diaz vs Rory Markham (170 lb)  Diaz is one of my favorite fighters, but this is his first fight at 170 lbs.  Markham is no joke and this is going to be a hard fight for Diaz to win unless he can get a submission off his back. Markham via decision.

Jim Miller vs Mark Bocek (155 lb)  Bocek (canadian):  Bocek via choke-out

Ricardo Almeida vs Matt Brown (170 lb)  Matt Brown's tough as nails, but Almeida via decision or sub. Surprise me Matt Brown!

Kurt pelligrino vsFabricio Camoes (155 lb)  have to admit I don't know much about Camoes, so I'll say Pellegrino viaTKO

Please post your thoughts on this card.

dmocchi

Re: UFC 111 Card and Predictions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »

I think that by far the most interesting matchup is the Carwin fight. Shane has been known to be hurt by punchers and can be caught due to his wild swinging at time. Mir should make a fight of it I believe by standing and not going to the geround cause as good as he is, Carwing is stronger and will outgmuscle him a la Lesnar. Mir needs to keep it standing and box him. Interestingly, I also believe that Carwin is faster thus creating peroblems for Mir......It should be interesting while it lasts!..

BTW where u watching it!

wizard

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »

yes, Mir/Carwin is gonna be a slobberknocker no doubt.  Both men weighed in at 265 lbs!! that's alotta beef...
I'll be watching from my parents living room in Abbotsford.  Usually I go to Mission Springs or something, but I figure it's cheaper just to order it, and split the cost between friends.

dmocchi

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »

Im really looking foward to the Shogun  vs Machida battle. I think the first one was really close and the 2nd should be equally contested.

Carwin is dfinately a monster and should be a challenge to Lesnar.....Now I want to see Dos santos vs.  the guy who beat Noguiera....

wizard

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »

carwin mir lived up to the hype.  carwin executed his game plan to a t and saw the result with Mir being knocked out and not knowing what city he was in after the fight. 
Yes he does pose a threat to Brock Lesnar.  But he's going to have to perfect a different type of game plan for Lesnar.  That's gonna be a huge fight!  I think Lesnar still has strength advantage, but carwin has striking advantage.
machida vs shogun is the next BIG fight, title might be changing hands, there...

Now they're saying UFC 115 in Vancouver is cancelled.  It's being moved to Cincinatti... The city was being unreasonable over "liability insurance issues.  this city just lost a big oppurtunity here. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

carwin mir lived up to the hype.  carwin executed his game plan to a t and saw the result with Mir being knocked out and not knowing what city he was in after the fight. 
Yes he does pose a threat to Brock Lesnar.  But he's going to have to perfect a different type of game plan for Lesnar.  That's gonna be a huge fight!  I think Lesnar still has strength advantage, but carwin has striking advantage.
machida vs shogun is the next BIG fight, title might be changing hands, there...

Now they're saying UFC 115 in Vancouver is cancelled.  It's being moved to Cincinatti... The city was being unreasonable over "liability insurance issues.  this city just lost a big oppurtunity here. 

Just heard the news as well. This totally blows!!!! I cant believe the City is being so unreasonable. Do they not understand how much money this will being into the city?

Great to see GSP dominate once again. Still cant believe Hardy never tapped. Gotta give Hardy some props for being so tough. GSP is easily the best athlete in MMA. Might not be the best pure fighter but the best athlete by far. He finds his opponents weaknesses and dominates them.

So happy Carwin knocked out Mir. Carwin has never gone out of the first round. I also think that he will have problems with Lesnars strength. It should make for a great fight.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dmocchi

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:03 PM »

So happy Carwin knocked out Mir. Carwin has never gone out of the first round. I also think that he will have problems with Lesnars strength. It should make for a great fight.
[/quote]

I think its partly due to the effect of weak opposition (Mir notwithstanding). Lesnar vs Carwin will be like watching two polar bears going attit!

dmocchi

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »

Dont forget to ctch UFC FREE on spke 2nite!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »

Thanks for the reminder. It looks like the show in Vancouver is not off yet. They are still trying to deal with the insurance issues but its not dead.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

wizard

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »

I'm actually really looking forward to fight night live tonight.  Talk about a BIG day of fight action.  First, at 4:00 is ufc unleashead where they're going to show Replays Frankie Edgar vs Sean Shirk and Cael Sonnen vs Nate Marquardt. 

At 6:00 goes live to Fight Night.  Some names in action...Yushin Okami, Caol Uno vs Gleison Tibau will be a great fight, Rob Emerson, Andre winner, Ross Pearson, Nate Quarry.

Main event is Ken Flo vs Takanori Gomi And 263 lb Roy Big Country Nelson vs 6'11 Stefan Struve.
I like Ken Flo and Nelson to win.

After that is the season premier episode of the Ultimate Fighter!

As for ufc 115...Hopefully they can work something out, but I'm not holding my breathe.  Just because some suits in city hall don't understand MMA, doesn't mean that MMA fans should have to suffer because of it.  They don't care about the guaranteed millions of dollars that would be coming to Vancouver...instead they're worried about supposed "gangsters" coming to the event and causing trouble...what a joke.  I'd be more worried about going to a Lions game. The whole situation just leaves me shaking my head....it's all just politics

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 08:21:17 PM »

dmocchi

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 05:20:15 PM »

I think it's back on for good...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jRgfnPf0aNhium5YMpgu5lCzzsdg

Good News......Hopefullly by then GSP will have stepped up to the Lheavyweight division

wizard

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »

Hopefully clearer heads will prevail here...I wanna see something set in stone. 
UFC is confirming Vancouver date which is a good sign.

dmocchi

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »

Hopefully clearer heads will prevail here...I wanna see something set in stone. 
UFC is confirming Vancouver date which is a good sign.

Yes ...great news indeed.....anyone know what the price for tix will be like?

wizard

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:24 PM »

Ok, so, ufc 115 in Vancouver looks to be a for sure thing now  (collective sigh of relief).  Also, the card is taking shape nicely.  Couture/Franklin, unfortunately,(previously sched for ufc 115) has been moved to August, and now Thiago Alves vs Jon Fitch will be in Vancouver. I could post the scheduled 115 card now, but things tend to change especially this far out, although the card is pretty much full.  btw, this will sell out within 48 hours of tickets being released, possibly 24.

As for ufc 112 in Abu Dabi this weekend....Silva/Maia;  I hope Maia but will bet on Silva.  I'm not much of a silva fan, unbeleivable talent...but only shows it when he wants to.  Silva rd 2 ko. this is hardfight to call as Silva sometimes fights not to hurt fellow brazilian fighters.
BJ Penn/Frankie Edgar; Again, hoping Edgar wins, but BJ is a freak and will not give up his belt without something seriou happening.  I think Penn is 8:1 favorite...hell, put down 20$ on Edgar and get a nice payback if Edgar pulls upset of the century. I'm expecting Edgar to give BJ an interesting fight as their fighting styles are similiar. B.J. rd 4 Choke out.  Matt Hughes/Renzo Gracie: I hope Hughes gets put in the hospital. lol...not a big Hughes fan. other fights...terry etim vs rafael dosanjos, kendall grove vs Mark munoz,...that's about it for big names. Paul taylor, paul kelly and Damarques Johnson will also be on the card .   what do you guys think. agree/disagree