Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin set up  (Read 22594 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin set up
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »

List of rods:

10'6 shimano convergence
9'/10'/10'6/11'3 trophy xl
11'6 amundson
11'3 X113-CP lamiglas
10'6 GL2, GL3
2106 sage
3106 sage
3113 sage

Reels:

Raven-sst3,sst2,classic,matrix
Milner-Talisman,Kingfisher,Snipe,Manx
Kingpin
Adock Stanton
Islander-Pacific Steelheader,searun, steelheader
JW Young -trudex, seldex, aerodex, purist
Hardy-Silex, jewel, superba
Trophy-winterrun,wildwaters
Streamside FL478
Okuma-Sheffield, Aventa
IMW
Macdonald
Mykiss
Avon Royale
Coult
Angling Spec.

These are generally speaking westcoast rods and reels, there are many other reels that are produced on the east coast in limited numbers, and you could always have a spey/switch blank built into a cp rod. Lots of options.

See what your price range is and start matching. You'll settle on something.

Fish killer 101

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »

thanks for all these tips! really appreciate it. I will probably end up picking up a sage 3113m and think of which reel to chose. I wanted to get a jw young purist but i'm not sure what I should be looking for in a reel for CP or just support a canadian company by getting an islander steelheader. But either way it should be a good choice :P

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

my choice would be a talisman, or a macdonald. with a silex or a IMW next. if i could afford them, i'd have them.
Fish killer 101

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »

A purist can handle springs, it can be tricky with the handles being so close to the spool edge but its fine when you get the hang of it...

an islander is a very good first reel imo.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:42:10 PM by Admin »
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

JL

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »

The best bang for your buck I think is a steelheader and the milner kingfisher. I own a kingfisher myself for the last 5 years and am very happy with it. I have also used the talisman and macdonald reels and although they are great reels and have a bit better machining tolerances than my kingfisher, I cant justify the the few hundred dollars i'd have to pay.  If you want a very light setup that you can fish all day, the 4" kingfisher with a sage 3106lb is tough to beat. A buddy has that setup and its fantastic.

I would agree with summerslayer that the islander is one of the more durable of the bunch but is a bit bulkier than the kingfisher. The spool of the kingfisher can get nicks very easily even with a slight grazing of a rock. Its rather annoying when your in a drift and each turn of the spool you feel a nick on your fingers. Good thing john milner is a great guy and he can do repairs for you even free of charge sometimes.

I am not sure how much you want to spend but when I bought my setup I bought the kingfisher and cheaped out on the rod with a trophy XL rod. Not even one season and I swapped the rod for a GLoomis. I didn't like the action on it and I found it too heavy. But what i liked the least was the fact that the trophy's reel seat is backwards therefore when you are holding the rod you are touching plastic rather than cork.

I'm not trying to steer you into a certain rod or reel but just wanted to give you some pros and cons I have found along the way.

Hope that helps in your quest.

JL

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 11:04:08 PM »

I think I will go for the sage 3113m and the islander steelheader. Can't wait !

Brian

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 02:50:06 AM »

Can't go wrong with that setup.

I'm fishing an Islander Steelheader + Trophy 11'3" im8 rod.

I'd like to try the Sage 3113M but can't swallow the price this year.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 07:05:55 AM »

I think I will go for the sage 3113m and the islander steelheader. Can't wait !

I satarted with an Avon and a trophy rod. Worked for me and quite enjoyed it. Thats now what i run, an islander and a sage 3113m, and absolutely love it!

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 07:58:29 AM »

3113 you can use it everywhere islanders work well, i would stay away from trophy. quality is not there and it's a funny black very telephone poll like. probably not the best for casting.

if you buy good gear right from the get go you will always be happy with it.if you but crap to start then upgrade later you will spend way more cash and may have trouble selling your old stuff.

my 2 cents
girls suck throw rocks at them!

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »

yeah I know what you mean by spending money on gear then upgrading after. Did that with my fly fishing gear and it cost quite a bit but at least now I have a back up echo 8 wt if my sage zaxis 8wt ever broke.

Just so busy with work this week or else i would have been down at the tackle store by now.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »

Just came home from Pacific Angler. Jason and Ben there were very helpful in providing me with some basic information about centerpinning. In the end i purchased a gold islander steelheader, and the sage 3113m rod! However they didn't have the rod in stock so I have to wait 6 days.... can't wait!!

FYI  I saw tons of flies and beginner spinning combos perfect for pinks at the store. I guess we are all just waiting for the time to COME!

pinnhead12

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »

I would say I am very happy with my 3106lb and I have the Kingfisher CP and I have just purchased the Milner Manx reel from Searun Tackle. Now I am thinking of getting the 3113 for the Manx , would I be better to run the 3106 with the Manx and the 3113 with the Kingfisher or should I just stay old with old and new with the new. I am only asking because of the arbor difference and the 3113 is a longer rod right.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »

I would say I am very happy with my 3106lb and I have the Kingfisher CP and I have just purchased the Milner Manx reel from Searun Tackle. Now I am thinking of getting the 3113 for the Manx , would I be better to run the 3106 with the Manx and the 3113 with the Kingfisher or should I just stay old with old and new with the new. I am only asking because of the arbor difference and the 3113 is a longer rod right.

Assuming that you have the 4" Kingfisher, the 3106LB is perfectly balanced with it.  The 3113 may be a bit too heavy for the Kingfisher.

Kenwee

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »

Go with the Kingfisher 4.5 inch bearing reel. You cannot go wrong. Use a Sage 3113m. I have 2 kingfishers, a Sage 2106, 3106 and 3113m and I have never looked back.

Kenwee

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »

Go with the Kingfisher 4.5 inch bearing reel. You cannot go wrong. Use a Sage 3113m. I have 2 kingfishers, a Sage 2106, 3106 and 3113m and I have never looked back. Sorry bushing reel not bearing.