Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where can one buy anise extract?  (Read 11526 times)

blackskull

Re: Where can one buy anise extract?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »

A lot of the commercially available oils, like krill, contain anise.  Some species of fish go crazy for it.

Just out of curiosity what are you guys doctoring up with anise?

jacked55

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »

Wal mart in the USA carries huge bottles for $3 each. not sure the volume but i remember it being twice the size of bottles up here and half the price so thats a no brainer. i usually grab some every couple trips i go down for curing roe.

buzzbomb

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »

I started using the star anise from the Viet grocery for financial reasons.  I already had one coffee grinder for bait exclusively and the bag of anise that cost me about $8 lasted for years.  I suppose if you used oil to suspend it you could make up squeeze bottles in whatever concentration you wanted.  I used it in boilies so just powdered a handfull for each 5 lb or so of basemix.
5% Alc./Vol.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »

I started using the star anise from the Viet grocery for financial reasons.  I already had one coffee grinder for bait exclusively and the bag of anise that cost me about $8 lasted for years.  I suppose if you used oil to suspend it you could make up squeeze bottles in whatever concentration you wanted.  I used it in boilies so just powdered a handfull for each 5 lb or so of basemix.

and if there you can get some of that fermented fish oil as well..... shudder ;)
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »

I found some at Save on in the baking aisle along with the other extracts (Vanilla, etc..)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:26:53 PM by Stratocaster »

buzzbomb

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 05:04:20 AM »

and if there you can get some of that fermented fish oil as well..... shudder ;)
I use that (nuoc mam) in groundbait (illegal in BC) as well as some kind of hotsauce and something sweet like molasses or fruit drink crystals.  For hookbaits and the dips I soak them in pineapple is my favourite though tutti-frutti and scopex (like butter for popcorn) are good catchers as well.  I suppose when you‘re trying to find what turns any species of fish on once you step outside the box of naturals the sky‘s the limit.  When I read that carp would swim behind geese waiting for them to poop I made boilies out of goose dung and the results were spectacular but no way in hell will I ever do it again.   I use  a lot of commercial baits now but there is extra satisfaction in catching on home made baits.
5% Alc./Vol.