Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To Bounce or Barfish...looking for advice not rhetoric!  (Read 12201 times)

odesseus

To Bounce or Barfish...looking for advice not rhetoric!
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »

This post is a for myself and all those who are trying to catch an early season spring.

Went to Scale Bar on the weekend and it was shoulder to shoulder bottom bouncing, however as the day wore on, it seemed like if someone had a mind they might be able to set up a few bar rods at the top of the bar and let the guys below cast out from them.

My question then is this: can you catch springs at this time bar fishing on Scale Bar? Can you ever bar fish Scale? Or am I doomed to spend the weekend beating the water with a 3.5 oz betty??? (this is acceptable as long as I might catch a fish)

I pose this question in the hopes of clarifying whether or not I would be successfull bar fishing or whether bottom bouncing is a necessity? The wisdom of the community is appreciated. As well, if someone has a better location please feel free to fill me in!

No moral judgements rendered here!!!

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: To Bounce or Barfish...looking for advice not rhetoric!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »

Often setting up a bar rod when everyone is bouncing can cause problems but it can be done. Just be friendly about it. However, with low visibility you better be able to put your spin n glo right in front of their travel line. Another option would be to find clearer water at creek mouths and fish there.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »

I use to bar fish from the end of Lundstrom road. Then they changed the parking there. Need almost a pound of weight when the water is cruising. Scale bar itself might be harder with people casting over your rig unless you get to one end early and stake out the spot. Maybe bring two set ups, lawn chairs, pit bull, beer etc.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

lude98r

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »

Bounce until the water drops, then there will be alot more spots to bar fish.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »

buddy if you think that it was shoulder to shoulder on saturday, you got another thing coming ;D that place gets crazy!!!! when the water drops enough to really get into fish at Scale, there will probably be too many guys to bar fish. I am not too familiar with the Fraser but there have got to be lots of great spots to set up a bar rod elsewhere.

lude98r

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »

The water is so high right now, I don't think there are very many productive bar spots. Accessibility is the main issue, if you have a boat there are lots of places to bar fish.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:56:40 AM »

Bouncing is going to give you a better chance of hooking a spring before the water drops.  However, some sockeye will be showing up before this happens.  You may hook them too.  They have a low catch and release survival rate, and most of the early summer runs have low return numbers so flossers could have a big impact on these runs.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »

Regarding Catch and Release Survival Rates - It all depends on how the fish are being handled. The Catch and Release Survival rates can be really good. There was a study done last year in the Fraser looking at just this question and it will be done again this year. If anyone out there knows of the results from last year, please post them for Sir Snag Alot

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »

According to the study done last year on the Fraser, sockeye hooked and released (they were kept in holding pens for 24 hrs.) using the flossing method experienced a 99.5% survival rate.  The anglers used for this study were volunteers of all skill levels. 174 sockeye hooked,  only 2 died.  Only one of which could be identified as having died as a result of fishery impacts.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »

My question then is this: can you catch springs at this time bar fishing on Scale Bar?
I pose this question in the hopes of clarifying whether or not I would be successfull bar fishing or whether bottom bouncing is a necessity? The wisdom of the community is appreciated. As well, if someone has a better location please feel free to fill me in!

No moral judgements rendered here!!!
Almost a nil change of catching a chinook bar fishing now, that is in the main stem Fraser as visibility is very poor. River is starting to drop but it will be a bit yet before the bar rods will come out. As the river clears starting at 1 foot and it gets progressively the  better your chances increase. August as been a very good month for chinook but when the sockeye open to first Nations and Commercial in the Fraser of that can have an effect on your results. Once the water drops there is plenty of bars to fish around Chilliwack but a boat is an asset of course With a bit of exploring you can find bars away from the BB crowds. I am getting the Leaf Craft ready for the coming season.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 03:41:39 PM »

buddy if you think that it was shoulder to shoulder on saturday, you got another thing coming ;D that place gets crazy!!!! when the water drops enough to really get into fish at Scale, there will probably be too many guys to bar fish. I am not too familiar with the Fraser but there have got to be lots of great spots to set up a bar rod elsewhere.
Only 5 cars there when I drove by their around 1 but it was raining hard so maybe they went home. ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »

According to the study done last year on the Fraser, sockeye hooked and released (they were kept in holding pens for 24 hrs.) using the flossing method experienced a 99.5% survival rate.  The anglers used for this study were volunteers of all skill levels. 174 sockeye hooked,  only 2 died.  Only one of which could be identified as having died as a result of fishery impacts.
I donot think this study reall accomplished much as the fish were held in ideal conditions after being landed. To attempt to get a true picture the fish should be radio tagged and their migration monitored by telmentary stations along the way to their natal stream. The sockeye only have a certain amount of fat reserves and a time frame to get them through the rough journey that lays ahead for them. After being played on the end of long leaders that causes some stress on being landed with latic acid building up in their bodies so if they are released soon after being landed they may be stressed and get delayed moving upstream. Of course this radio tagged fish could be intecepts by a large number of FN nets so that may not be the best method either.

In this time of shortage of fishery dollars from the Federeral Government the money maybe better spent on fish hatcheries or habitat restoration then studies that in my mind do not accomplish much.

I have related some of this at Upper Fraser Valley Sportsfishing Advisory meeting last year and my views were not supported by many in attendance. It could be that most of them fished for sockeye and I donot.

Sorry to sort of hyjack this thread and I should not be on the computer as I have taken a week away from cel phones etc.and doing some fishing
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:06:25 PM by chris gadsden »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »

I donot think this study reall accomplished much as the fish were held in ideal conditions after being landed. To attempt to get a true picture the fish should be radio tagged and their migration monitored by telmentary stations along the way to their natal stream. The sockeye only have a certain amount of fat reserves and a time frame to get them through the rough journey that lays ahead for them. After being played on the end of long leaders that causes some stress on being landed with latic acid building up in their bodies so if they are released soon after being landed they may be stressed and get delayed moving upstream. Of course this radio tagged fish could be intecepts by a large number of FN nets so that may not be the best method either.

In this time of shortage of fishery dollars from the Federeral Government the money maybe better spent on fish hatcheries or habitat restoration then studies that in my mind do not accomplish much.

I have related some of this at Upper Fraser Valley Sportsfishing Advisory meeting last year and my views were not supported by many in attendance. It could be that most of them fished for sockeye and I donot.

Sorry to sort of hyjack this thread and I should not be on the computer as I have taken a week away from cel phones etc.and doing some fishing

I was not trying to make an arguement for the PRO side of flossing.  The man asked for the numbers on that study, I just happened to know them.  Although I don't think there that far off.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »

Hmmm..... My take on this, if the fraser is too high and dirty some say bottom bounce it. I wonder if the vedder or chehalis was too high should you bottom bounce them? or wait till they are fishable?

personally I barfish, because I want my fish to bite.
there has been some bar fishers getting fish that I know of.....

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 06:42:30 PM »

yeah bar fished the lower twice now and nothing.... my friend got into some 3 days ago...  im thinking i gotta get to the upper and give er a shot..
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!