Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To Bounce or Barfish...looking for advice not rhetoric!  (Read 12203 times)

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Re: To Bounce or Barfish...looking for advice not rhetoric!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »

Wow, those survival rates are incredible!  I sure hope that this is representative of the actual fate for C & R sockeye.  Unfortunately I can't remember the specific sources for my info, but I thought that the main concern for sockeye mortality was bacteria getting into openings in the mouth from the hook or abrasions on the body from being dragged on to the beach, or something like that.  It would be hard I guess to really know what happens without following the fish to their spawning grounds.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 12:35:18 AM »

To see a summary of last year's sockeye salmon recreational catch and release study, please download this Power Point presentation:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/090625.ppt

This is a multi-year study. The second one is scheduled to begin sometimes in the next two months. Volunteers will most likely be needed again, I will post up information when received.

Regardless whether you agree or disagree with the practice done in this fishery, studies such as this one is beneficial as it allows managers to make sound decisions based on quantitative information, rather than what we believe may happen.

This study somewhat presents a possible dilemma in the recreational fishery. It illustrates that external hook damage results in lower mortality due to minimal bleeding, while fish hooked properly (ie. inside the mouth, particularly on the tongue, back of the oral cavity) can sometimes result in much higher mortality due to servere bleeding.

Some cautionary notes of course. Scientific studies only partially represent what actually happens because there are many other variables involved. The fish were held in a channel that has a velocity similar to where they would travel in the Lower Fraser River, however the result from the study demonstrates short-term mortality because the fish were only held for a short period of time. How well sockeye salmon that are caught and released do beyond this period is unknown, especially once entering the Fraser Canyon when stream velocity increases significantly. Secondly, the predation factor has not been included. Fish that are released can be vulnerable to predation by seals for a short period of time. This may increase mortality rate of released fish. As the study becomes more in-depth, some of these variables will most likely be looked at.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »

I knew of this study last summer, but this is the first time that I have seen the results.  Looks good!  It makes me feel a little better about the fate of sockeye that I have lost at the beach.  Hopefully this can be followed up with a longer term study though.

mattyo

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »

19 springs in 10 days :o. Damn man good for you!!!! That's more than the albion test net since the 15.

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 02:25:18 PM »

The Albion test net caught 80 chinook from June 1st till today, 34 of the fish were caught in the last two days. That's not that much...

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptdtfdparm.cfm?fsub_id=242.

Is it worth the gas to go out right now or better wait for 3 or 4 more weeks until the waterlevel has dropped and the numbers are higher?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 02:47:38 PM »

Bouncing is hard work. Not for the old and weary. But bouncing for springs also requires you to know the travel lane, using the betty to feel out the deep trough, the drop off, the deep hole, etc where springs like to go through or rest. In the bar I used to fish, there are those who consistently hooked into more fish than others. It does not seem to be a random luck. They must have figured out something others don't have a clue.

Barfishing is definitely a more relax way to fish. I am a bber now, but I have all the gears for bf which I will use when I get older and can afford a boat. Despite what others say, there are limited spots for shore bar fishermen, especially during the peak run. If you show up a bit late, you can forget about most good bars. Most locals camp out there. So to each its own, whatever suits your style.

34 fish in 2 days? Wow. See you in the bar.  ;D  From experience, we had good fishing when the number was 5 to 10.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:51:14 PM by Steelhawk »

mattyo

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »

Wow 23 springs on the 24th!!!!!!!!Ding ding!!!!

jeff

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 05:12:23 PM »

I think that bbing caries alot of bad wrap with it. Because there are ways to bottom bounce that are fair to the fish, like bouncing with a leader that is only 3 feet long that way your not flossing and I am sure someone will come on here tell me that your still going to snag fish, I guess you are right but sometimes float fishing snags fish. Just my thought, I dont fish the fraser ever so I guess I dont really have a say.
Enjoying the water..........

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 05:31:22 PM »

I don't understand why you guys think that bbing is more effective in the early season in high water. I have been out every day since the opening bar fishing and I haven't been skunked yet! I've had 3 days where I've gotten 3 fish as well with many days of 2 fish and the rest 1 fish days. The fish don't key in just visually they also sense vibrations (spin n glo spinning with a clipped wing) and they are scent junkies (my secret roe cure hahaha). The MOST important thing when bar fishing is location, location, location! You have to be in the travelling lane in there face and to do that you need to understand how and where fish travel in the river. But I've got what works for me, and I guess the people that don't want to put the time in and have the fish actually bite have their way. How many bbings on here have landed 16 springs since the opening and lost 3 more so 19 hooked?

19 fish on the bar rod already? i dont want to call you a liar but that sounds like my smelly socks.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Davis

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »

If you want to catch a sockeye during the upcoming opening and retain it, get your bouncing betties ready,you ain't ever going to catch one on a bar rig setup.Can't wait to put some fresh socks in the boat,great fresh,smoked or canned!

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »

;D ;D........FF .....ayep.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 09:05:28 PM »

it happens, my old man got a nice one a few years back on a green top at grassy.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »

19 just seems like a ton... most people would be pretty skeptical considering there has not yet been one report of bar rig success this year. got any pics??? you must have a really good spot

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »

19 just seems like a ton... most people would be pretty skeptical considering there has not yet been one report of bar rig success this year. got any pics??? you must have a really good spot

What is a believable number? 18?, 10?, 1?  As chrome bar says, he has a special spot, let it be.....

What's it worth to you chrome bar, to share that information???  ;) ;)

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »

Man that is a big number!  So did you mark the first 10 on your license and have been catch and release since?  I think that must be record time for filling the annual quota.