Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dewdney Slough boat launch  (Read 14147 times)

Ron

Dewdney Slough boat launch
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »

Hey I am here to ask fraser fishinfishing addicts to help us out. I hope it's ok that I put this note here to sorry if it's not this is my first ever dealings with a computer.
I have started a petion to keep the Dewdney boat launch open.I would be gratefull for anyone who will sign .I don't have much time one week is all i got before  I have to go before the FVRD to try to plead the case. There are petions at Hub sports ,Dewdney pub,Dewdney store,Deroche General store Hatzic shell.If you can't get to one of these places give me a call and mabey we can get it done 604-615-1916
. thanks Ron

The Fraser River is the most valuable recreational asset that the cities of Mission ,Dewdney and Deroche have.Access to the Fraser River between Mission and Harrison Mills Provides excellent year round fishing ,hiking nature walk’s, bird and wildlife watching,camping and boat launching.
There are only two regional parks to provide public access to this valuable 25 mile section on the North side of the Fraser RiverThey both have boat launches and are used extensively by people from as tar away as Caflfornia ,Kamloops and Vancouver. They are under the control of the Fraser Valley Regional District and economic spin off to local business is huge.
1 The Deroche Regional Park has been closed completely since 2005
2. The Dewdney Region& Park is now only open from June to September
This is totally unacceptable and we the undersigned Demand that the Fraser Valley Regional District open both Regional Parks so that they can be used and enjoyed by the people year round

DAWGMAN

Re: Dewdney Slough boat launch
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:25:19 PM »

I agree. I hate going around to langley and lauch at island 22. too far to go.

steeleagle

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »

YES I'll sign that, I live only minutes away and would love to use this launch.

Ron

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »

Thanks for the support.Tomorrow I have to be at the FVRD meeting at 9 am.I only get ten minutes to make our  case,
If this dose not work we will try with a petition in every sport shop and gas station in the area.The petition was great start
and we only really had six days.I am sure they will say it's not properly set up and will discard it ,but no matter what the people
who signed it are not going away.We even got a signature from "Kenny Hess ".I am not sure how many names we got but
it still stays the same.We  want those gates open.  Thanks again and we will keep in touch.              Ron

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »

Dewdney launch opened last weekend,

DAWGMAN

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »

Yahooooooo ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »

Dewdney launch opened last weekend,
Good work Ron, looks like all your work has paid off already. ;D

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »

Glad you made a deffence and got the launch left open. Not so good news from over in Port
alberni. The boat launch at RobertsonCreek Hatchery is going to be closed to the public this year.
I know it is used by a lot of guides, who will not be happy. It was a nice drift from there to Stamp Falls Park.
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

Ron

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »

I can't take the credit for getting the boat launch open it was due to be opened May 1st .What I am trying to get changed
is the the fact that it will only be opened certain hours and only;y for four months of the year.If in fact the FVRD allows these sites to
be kept as Boat launches.Today I put out about three to thee hundred and fifty signatures and the fact that we want the boat launch open.
Also if there is an accident on the river there is no where to offload someone who is hurt except these two launches.As well these are also quick
 access to the fire department if they need water.I have seen four cars parked in front of the gate what does the fire truck due?
I will certainly keep you all up to date and thanks for the support.
As for the other boat launch I got some very good information today and I am doing it next.I was told to go strait to Berry Penner,
 he has the power to change these guy's mind.
 Thanks again ,Ron

Ron

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 08:03:40 PM »

Today I called the office of Barry Penner,Mintister of environment,I talked to one of his aids and explained what we are trying to do.
1. get the dewdney launch open so that we can fish when the fish are there not just four month of the year.
 2. The big hurdle for Deroche launch is is the fact that before the boat launch can become viable ,the testing of the ground in the
parking lot on the other side of the dike at Deroche was a garbage dump some 25 or so years ago.I can,t for the life of me figure
out why this would matter for parking,but I think we all know it's linked to the new trails that are to be built.
Any ways I got a call back right away from another rep and he wanted to know what they could do and what we expected.
Then he said I could expect a call in the morning.
Anyone of you guy's can put in a call or email his office too.
 I let you know any news I get
         Ron.
P.S Thanks to this forum and is there a fee I should pay to participate in this group.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »

Today I called the office of Barry Penner,Mintister of environment,I talked to one of his aids and explained what we are trying to do.
1. get the dewdney launch open so that we can fish when the fish are there not just four month of the year.
 2. The big hurdle for Deroche launch is is the fact that before the boat launch can become viable ,the testing of the ground in the
parking lot on the other side of the dike at Deroche was a garbage dump some 25 or so years ago.I can,t for the life of me figure
out why this would matter for parking,but I think we all know it's linked to the new trails that are to be built.
Any ways I got a call back right away from another rep and he wanted to know what they could do and what we expected.
Then he said I could expect a call in the morning.
Anyone of you guy's can put in a call or email his office too.
 I let you know any news I get
         Ron.
P.S Thanks to this forum and is there a fee I should pay to participate in this group.

Unfortunately the launch area is a dumping ground now and always has been ever since it was built. STUPID people do STUPID things to ruin a resource for everyone.  There is a very well built concrete block outhouse that is usually in a disgusting condition,the parking area usually has broken glass throwen around and this parking area is not a safe place to leave your vechile. My dog went running through the grass one day and returned covered in a maze of treble hooks. It is little wonder that so many of the areas that used to be open are now closed with gates to the public.Who is going to pay for maintance and upkeep-we are all taxed to the hilt for laws and rules that we can not enforce even now. Until someone finds a answer to how to control these human "PIGS"the situation will only get worse. A prime example is all the crape that people dump at the Vedder River. Can you imagine what that area would look like if so many nice people did not go out and clean up all the time. I for one do not blame the powers to be, closeing these areas down. We do not have the people to police these "PIGS" nor do we have the man power to clean up after these (what ever you want to call them). All that is left is to close them,which is a shame because that hurts the good people as well. JUST MY THOUGHTS.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 02:58:15 PM »

Silvermere Lake discussion has been moved to http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20692.0

Ron

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 06:40:24 PM »

Sorry about off topic..
 Talked to rep from Penners office today.Basically he is going to see what can be done to get deroche open ,after all it will only be used for parking at this time.
The seem to be ok with using the launch the guy I talked to didn't know there was one there.
 Ron

Bonanza

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »

It is a sad state of affairs with the public being denied acsess to public campgrounds and waterways! Not that long ago you had acsess to all the provincial parks and boat launches.I have lived here my whole life and was able to go to all the parks and rivers and lakes any time of the year with out fear of being locked out. Not any more! Thanks to the current party in power I camp less and fish less and spend a lot less money at the tackle store and in small towns that really need the tourist dollars. My wife and dog are happy that I spend more time at home , but I am not a happy camper! Now all I can do is save a ton of money and hope I can watch people ski down a hill at Whistler in 2010. If I sound bitter , I am :P

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 08:20:34 AM »

It is a sad state of affairs with the public being denied acsess to public campgrounds and waterways! Not that long ago you had acsess to all the provincial parks and boat launches.I have lived here my whole life and was able to go to all the parks and rivers and lakes any time of the year with out fear of being locked out. Not any more! Thanks to the current party in power I camp less and fish less and spend a lot less money at the tackle store and in small towns that really need the tourist dollars. My wife and dog are happy that I spend more time at home , but I am not a happy camper! Now all I can do is save a ton of money and hope I can watch people ski down a hill at Whistler in 2010. If I sound bitter , I am :P

I also have lived in the lower mainland for 65 years and I totally agree with you except on the idea of the Olympics-They will not get a dime of my money-EXCEPT-Of coarse all the bills that we are going to have to pay so that Campbell can have his jollies-The people that voted for him certainly deserve him.