Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silvermere Lake  (Read 23642 times)

ion

Silvermere Lake
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »

I'll sign it too.

I'v heard that the liberals sold Silvermere lake (including the bottom of lake and water) to the guys that owned the most of the shore, and you can't go fishing there anymore.

Other surprises are awaiting for us!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Silvermere Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »

I'll sign it too.

I'v heard that the liberals sold Silvermere lake (including the bottom of lake and water) to the guys that owned the most of the shore, and you can't go fishing there anymore.

Other surprises are awaiting for us!

It's too bad rumors like this are started by just throwing out comments like this....   

My understanding is that it has always been a private lake and several years ago was purchased by Genstar Developments...

Can you support what you have "heard" with some facts?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:23:49 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

fishyfish711

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »

I have always been fascinated by silvermere lake. When I drive by I have never seen a boat with a water skiier on the lake. It is almost always calm. I decided to run a search  on the internet to see what I could find. First hit:

Genstar Development Company proposes to create a unique, high quality residential lakeside community on the shores of Silvermere Lake in Mission, B.C., based on sustainable development principles. A total of 100 single-family lots would be created within a picturesque lakefront setting totalling over 350 acres.

Second hit. Rental home advertisement:

Fully equipped, 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom, large sun-deck, 8 person hot tub, Private dock and boat lift for the avid water-skier. This Private and sheltered lake with No Public Access allows this lake to be one of B.C.'s "Best Water Skiing Lakes

I would be very interested to know the entire real factual history of this lake. I thought I remembered some controversy surrounding this lake not long ago. What does anybody know? Is there anyway to find out factual history on the internet or will I only find advertisements for development and private rentals?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:49:57 PM by fishyfish711 »

Ron

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »

Download Silvermere Development Concept Plan (256k PDF) 
http://www.silvermere.ca/media/Silvermere_Dev_Plan.pdf
 I don't know if these will open for you  but I got them from this link
http://www.silvermere.ca/community_overview.htm#
  I have heard the same thing about the lake and there were many homes put up for sale. Hope it helps ,  Ron

fishyfish711

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:54:57 PM »

Thank you Ron. That is one of the sites I came across. It looks like it is in the early stages. Not too much info available there. Would you own the land? lease the land? and from who? etc. Interesting though. Thank you. Who are you buying from the Developer? Who did they buy from? Or are they leasing? Their seems to be a few reserves around there. Probably leased land. HMMM. Any one have more information?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:59:35 PM by fishyfish711 »

fishyfish711

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »

I may be able to answer some of my own questions upon further investigation of their site.

Silvermere Island lakeshore to remain in common ownership to maintain lake’s environmental values.

Does this mean joint ownership? What does that mean?

Bare land strata serviced by private on-site water and sewage treatment systems

Actually I can't answer my own questions. Can  anybody explain to me what common ownership of a vacation property you buy is? Does that land strata offer any indication of what you would actually be purchasing? Am I misinterpreting these statements?

The last news and info. was in 2003 so I don't think it is anything to get too excited about. Interesting that it is the first hit on google regarding Silvermere lake.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:35:51 PM by fishyfish711 »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »

I have two friends who know a bit about Silvermere.

One worked in the government Office in Mission back in the min 50's when Silvermere was created. Apparently it was part of the Stave delta. The Island and the causeways to it were created with river bottom dredged out of the delta where the lake was created. This would not be allowed in our present day. From what I am told, this was all done by a fellow who wanted to create lake front home development. He lost his shirt when he could not get the permits he needed since the land was deemed unstable and susceptible to flood.

The second was a students of mine who lives a block from Silvermere on Hwy 7. He has law suites going with genstar for polluting his well and damaging the foundation of his house when they widened the road. He also has evidence that the road work altered the septic fields in the area which as a result now run into Silvermere.

Silveremere has always been cloaked in lies, half truths, and general misconceptions.

Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

fishyfish711

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »

Very interesting newsman. It seems to be very difficult to find out information about the lake unless you know specifically where to look. Do you know who owns the part of the lake that Genstar proposed to develop? It sounds like it could be very unstable land to build on?  Has anything taking place as far as building or selling lots? How long ago was this road created? Thank you for the information.

I found this link very interesting:    http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/pet_122D_e_28848.html#tphp
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:43:01 PM by fishyfish711 »

fishyfish711

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 08:19:36 PM »

This was the one of the controversial stories I remember hearing about:

Storm brews on Silvermere Lake
Last Updated: Thursday, March 23, 2006 | 11:13 AM PT
CBC News

People living on a small lake in Mission say the owner is giving them a major headache.

The property owners say the owner of Silvermere Lake is bullying them. Genstar Development Company has told them it wants power boats and docks removed from the lake because of insurance liability and environmental concerns.

Company CEO David Keenan said canoes and swimming would still be allowed. He is hoping to meet with residents to discuss the matter.

"And what we're going to try to do is work towards a management plan that allows for some of the rules and regulations to be drafted that then provides the basis for recreational activity to occur this summer."

Some of the property owners said they plan to continue water skiing on the lake.

Keenan said his company would ask the RCMP to lay trespassing charges against anyone who uses a power boat on the lake.

So it seems this Genstar Development company owns the lake. 

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »

Living in Mission I have seen the newspaper articles. Here are the facts that have been revealed:

Genstar owns the land under the lake to the high water mark on the east side of the lake (this is where the property owners are).

The property owners have been claiming the lake is private and belongs to them based on verbal here-say from Realtors (nothing in writing; so we all know what the crown's judgement would be).

Genstar had a lawsuite against them a few years back from a women who was injured while water skiing on the lake. So Genstar told the property owners to remove all dock and power boats from the lake. The property owners were told that they had to obtain proper liability insurance (and show documentation of the same) and bring their docks up environmental standards, before using the lake again. Genstar finished by telling the landowners that if they failed to agree, that they would open the dams (their dams) holding back the lake water and drain the lake. 

fishyfish711

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »

Thank you Newsman. That was very informative. Do you know if Genstar has been successful in developing other parts of the lake? The online advertisement doesn't seem to have been updated since 2003. Do you have an update on the proposed developments? Thank you very much for your info.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »

No they have not been able to move ahead with anything. For awhile in 2004 - 2005 there was proposal to sell the whole works to Ducks Unlimited, but that never manifested.

I have been after the Mayor of Mission to get a public boat launch on both Silvermere and Hatzic lakes for four years. I find it ironic that we have top rods from across the nation coming to stay and fish these two lakes for Bass. Our mayor says he want to promote angling tourism and there is no good public access to two quality Bass fisheries 10 minutes from the center of Mission. He was even seen on WFN telling all about our fishery, go figure. Now for those who don't believe this, I challenge you to explain why Viola and company from Fishing Canada has been here twice in the last eighteen months to do shows on our Bass (yes form Ontario to Mission for Bass) and Sturgeon fisheries.

The politics of sport fisheries is a very strange game. 

salmon river

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »

Genstar is a corporation and in this this country corporations usually get their way and not many politicians seem to want to stand up to corporations.

Min

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »

Interesting information.  I also have been interested in Silvermere lake.  I have occasionally see one or two guys spin casting into the lake.  From the dike area right at the highway.  Have never seen anything caught.  I must have some kind of character flaw because I think that it is wrong to keep people away from any place where they could be fishing.

poper

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »

Is it against the law to fish in silvermerer lake? I thought if u were on the lake your alright but u just cant trespass on private property,if your coming into the lake off the highway your not trespassing!