Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Illegally fishing with two rods from shore  (Read 30895 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Illegally fishing with two rods from shore
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »

Dare I say what would make more sense is that instead of all these regulations you simply have a quota as a sport fisherman; that way fish two rods if you like, heck fish with a net if a food fishery was your thing. But everyone would be taking out their fair share of fish regardless. Any thoughts?

While I think quotas are a good things I don't agree with the free for all to obtain them.  Fishing is about master techniques and enjoying the day out.  Catching something is supposed to be a bonus.  Buying a fishing licence is not a wholesale fish purchase!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 10:43:24 AM »

The way I see it is... It is okay for someone in a boat to use 2 rods because if a person has invested in buying a boat (IMO anyone can afford to save up for A used boat or some sort), all the accessories that go with it and obtained a boating licence, they are are most likely avid anglers that are there for the experience more so then filling the freezer and would probably be more apt to relasing some of the fish since the person with the boat is probably there for a full day on the water.  If they were to permit 2 rods from shore you would see more people there trying solely to fill their freezer. 

Speculation not based on any empirical data.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »

Very well. I accept that you think it is fair. Now please explain why.
Give me a rational explanation for the existence of such rule.

How does it benefit the resource? Or the angling sport?

The way I see it is... It is okay for someone in a boat to use 2 rods because if a person has invested in buying a boat (IMO anyone can afford to save up for A used boat or some sort), all the accessories that go with it and obtained a boating licence, they are are most likely avid anglers that are there for the experience more so then filling the freezer and would probably be more apt to relasing some of the fish since the person with the boat is probably there for a full day on the water.  If they were to permit 2 rods from shore you would see more people there trying solely to fill their freezer.  The stocks would be hit harder.  If you are fishing from shore you are generally able to cover the depths at the location you are fishing quite easily.  While trolling in a boat you are covering only one general depth with a single rig.  Therefore having 2 lines is very beneficial for covering a wider spectrum of the water column.  Also if 2 rods are allowed from shore this could lead to 1 rod being placed quite a distance where a fish may have to needlessly struggle before the person realizes they have a fish on or if they are fighting a fish on another rod and then have to land and release that fish and then make it over to the second rod wherever they may have placed it.  Conservation officers would then have a hard time figuring out who's rod is whos what are they going to do finger print the rod to see who was using the barbed hook?  IMO unfortunately it just isn't practical eventhough I have wished I could use 2 rods on occasion.

Guess you have never fished chironomids hey. You are always changing your depths covering the entire water column. You can fish two rods covering different depths right from the beginning.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 08:26:36 AM »

Ya, I've never seen that either.
When they find fish they will always throw something out under an indicator on one line and either fish naked with the other, or add an indicator to the second line as well.

coho killer

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 10:49:29 PM »

I think everyone who thinks fishing with 2 rods from shore is a bad idea has a boat. So they dont care.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »

I think everyone who thinks fishing with 2 rods from shore is a bad idea has a boat. So they dont care.

Thats not true. I have 3 boats and fish from a boat and think guys on the shore should have two rods and so do a couple others on here feel that way.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »

:'( I want what he's got  :'(

buy a dingy and get over it.

1 rod from shore, 2 rods from boat, plain and simple.

David

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 04:25:24 PM »

How about making some fisheries C&R only and allow everyone to use 2 rods?  :o

Coming over from the UK 5 years ago, the one rod only rule has been a hard pill to swallow.  But swallow it I have, because it is the rule!  I do think that Fisheries need to reconsider this rule for certain fisheries, i.e. carp.  To go along with that I think they should also reconsider the no chumming (groundbaiting) rule.  If someone has no intention of keeping fish (carp) and it makes no impact on the local sport fishing industry (trout and salmon), then what on earth is the problem with someone introducing a few handfuls of loosefeed in order to attract some carp to your swim?  Just my 2pence!  ;)

dspot

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »

A couple of times I've seen guys fishing with 2 rods that had no idea that it wasn't allowed.

4x4

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

I agree with the people that say allow one rod only.

I've never fished 2 rods and have no desire to. It looks like a pain in the a$$ to me. I've seen more rods broken and lines crossed because of 2 rods being used, especially from float tubes and pontoons. If it takes me a little longer to figure out what the fish want because I'm only using 1 rod - so be it. I can live with that.

As long as people play by the rules I'm not going to criticize how they fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 11:15:01 PM »

How about ice fishing. Are you allowed to drag your ponyoon or rowboat out on the ice and fish two holes?
Not sure how true it is but I was told last week it apparently it is being done. ??? ::) :o

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »

You should be allowed two lines ice fishing it's like being in a boat. As long as your within a certain distance from both lines.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 08:00:21 AM »

You should be allowed two lines ice fishing it's like being in a boat. As long as your within a certain distance from both lines.
How is this like being in a boat? It is as similar as fishing from shore.
You still can't physically land two fish at the same time.

jimmywits

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »

Interesting to here many opinions, but rules are rules and if I see anyone violate any rule I will inform them of the regulation and depending on their responce, I may phone the CO hotline.
Having said that, if enough people disagree with a reg, then lobby to have it changed. I mostly flyfish from a tube or a boat and mostly fish two different types of line at once, however I must admit, I've never really understood why I am permitted to do so simply because I'm in a watercraft. As far as making all things equal is concerned, I would much rather see everyone fish with one line only than make it legal to fish two lines from shore. Shorecasters are already making it very difficult to troll along the drop off as it is,many of them can cast half way across the smaller lakes so allowing them to double up on that is not the best senario. As far as fishing two lines from a boat making it easier to cover more of the water column,is it really that much of a problem if it takes a bit longer to key into fish?

ion

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »

The is a reasonable rule, and a very good one, because we have short lengths of shores accessible, and if a fisherman uses two rods then he can take too much space on shore, and we would be too crowded. In a boat you have much more space without bothering anybody.

Just my 2 mil. $$$