Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canadian WILD SALMON ALLIANCE Society: GAME ON!  (Read 22507 times)

Little Hawk

Canadian WILD SALMON ALLIANCE Society: GAME ON!
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:00:58 AM »

Howdy All,

I am pleased to announce to all of you that the Canadian WILD SALMON ALLIANCE Society now has a bank account and a safe destination for funding donations for the important activities of our organization. As I've previously mentioned, the CWSAS is now an officially Incorporated (non-profit) Society here in BC with 5 sitting Directors: Terry Anderson (Victoria, BC), Roy Carver (Victoria, BC), Tom Gray (Fanny Bay, BC), Jerry Oetting (Victoria, BC), Mitch Anderson (Victoria, BC). Our Society # is: S-54917

Our Webmaster - Karen Jones - is busy setting up a Pay Pal link on the website but as she is very busy with work & family, this may take a few days. So for now, and because time is of the essence with the Provincial Election nearly upon us, I'm encouraging each and every one of you join me as we take up the charge and drum up as much funding as we can from all the good people who can help fuel this vital cause. Feel free to forward this message to others you may know who may have a vested interest in the welfare of Pacific Salmon and who may be in a position to contribute. Since I've began this fund-raising effort my heart has been warmed more than once by emails from concerned people wanting to help; like the single-mom on a limited income who's offered $100.00 towards the cause. The strength of CWSAS is built on the backs of good people like her.

Initially, our objective is to raise as much advertising revenue as we can to get our message out to the BC Electorate about Campbell's complicity in the salmon-farming industry as well as his selling-out of (giving away) BC's fish-bearing rivers & streams. The AD material we have ready for publication should accomplish this in spades.

Please do not hesitate to contact me  for donation information or if you have any questions.
(Terry Anderson: 250 818-6494 or by email: silversaw@telus.net)

I have set a goal of 2-weeks or less to raise a minimum of $25 to $30,000.00 for advertising expenses with any remaining funds to be secured for future Society initiatives furthering the cause and welfare of Wild Pacific Salmon. I'll be hitting the bricks here on the South Island (Victoria area) to drum up commercial support from tackle-shops and manufacturers as well as Charter-boat operators, Boat sales/service centers etc. If you think about it for a minute, the list of people/companies/organizations that have a vested interest in the welfare of Pacific Salmon - is as long as your arm.

Ladies & Gentlemen; the Game is ON!
Please help if you can.

Standing for Wild Salmon,

Terry Anderson

Folkboat

Re: Canadian WILD SALMON ALLIANCE Society: GAME ON!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »

Hello Little Hawk. I am wondering if your alliance is looking for donations purely for advertisement, or are you going to make an effort to enhance the environment that would be in your question. Will you be willing to back up what you will be saying with peer reviewed studies. I would like to see a down to earth environmental group back in B.C. A group that does not benifit from millions of funded U.S. dallors that are put to advertising and does not seem to benefit the environmemt or our coastal communities at all. You will have my donations if your alliance can prove to me that you are not just another advertisement gimmick. Just a clip from a news article I found.
   "What is indisputably true is that the environmental movement on Canada's West Coast is relying increasingly on U.S. environmental benefactors, and by focusing on the Americans, some Canadian greens appear to have lost their way. They have forsaken the grassroots Canadian public, the local people who work and live on the coast. "These buckets of U.S. money account for much of what we call environmental activism today," says Terry Glavin, the Mayne Island author who has also worked as a consultant to the David Suzuki Foundation and other environmental organizations.
Corporations need not pay tribute to pushy non-profits. It need not partner with them either, unless the group or groups in question is/are involved in projects that directly benefit a threatened or endangered species. For example, Darden funds the Kemp's Ridley Turtle conservation efforts at Mexico's Rancho Nuevo and lobster habitat in New England and the Caribbean. Those funds benefit the animals, not animal activists.
Sustainable conservation includes use and preservation. It comes from a willingness of those entities dependant on a resource recognizing the merit of acting ethically with the resource. It does not come from bullying non-profits demanding certain behavior lest they crush the perceived offender".

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »

Hello Little Hawk. I am wondering if your alliance is looking for donations purely for advertisement, or are you going to make an effort to enhance the environment that would be in your question. 

I am guessing they need advertising dollars to secure MORE dollars in order to effectively enhance the environment and raise public awareness...?  It's not "either or"  it's "in order to".  As far as funding goes, where else is money going to come from?  How about the fish farms kick in a few bucks for the funding of joint studies on the effects of pacific sea lice on wild salmon populations...?  I'm sure the non profits would be up for that if it was truly impartial....if funding is needed for impartial research (ie, scientists NOT hired by farming corps)....not so sure about the farms.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:20:49 PM »

Pretty sure the Aquaculture Industry in BC puts quite a bit of $$ towards research and environmental issues associated with their industry.

Folkboat

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:55:32 PM »

Yes you may just be guessing Marmot. As for fish farms kicking in money for joint studies. Do Not think for a minute that they do not. They also put money into coastal community sport programs for the kids and much more. If you are realy interested in just how much money has flowed from salmon farming into joint studies and back into coastal communities, I will be happy to dig it up for you.  I do not have to guess Marmot. I can play the GAME also.  What if the fish farms donated more dallors than the Moore fundation, would the ngos support farming or stay with Alaska's farmed ranch salmon?
  "like the single-mom on a limited income who's offered $100.00 towards the cause". Well I am in there then. What is going to be done with that $100.00?
   As for farmers not wanting joint studies with ngos Marmot, get a load of this once again.
   " Lack of quality assurance in the collection of field data. Pink and chum salmon
fry were collected using beach seines and subsampled using dip nets. Sea lice on the fry were
generally enumerated without regard to species (Lepeophtheirus salmonis or Caligus clemensi)
and then returned to the sea offering no opportunity for independent (blind) verification of the
results. No quality assurance procedures are described to insure the accuracy of the counts. A
credible quality assurance program would require, at a minimum, blind counts and the
recounting of lice on a subset of the fry by independent observers and comparison of the results
to insure consistency. Assistance in the field work was offered to Mr. Krkosek for the 2006 field
season during a conference call between Mr. Clare Backman (Marine Harvest), Mr. Krkosek and
Dr. Brooks. The offer was declined with Mr. Krkosek’s statement that he neither needed nor
wanted assistance in conducting the field work. No claim of intentional bias should be inferred
from this. However, unintentional bias in scientific work, particularly in field-work, is
something that all experienced scientists aggressively guard against.
The Standards, Protocols and Guidelines (SPG-2) developed by the British Columbia
Pacific Salmon Forum for Field Sampling Methods for Juvenile and Adult Pacific Salmon, and
Caligid Zooplankton discusses the inherent biases associated with beach seining and dip netting,
but fails to recommend quality assurance procedures to insure that collections represent random
samples and that counts and identifications of lice are accurate".
  As you can see, I would ask some major questions to a donation asking group before I let some hard earned money go their way. Is my money only going to advertisement or back into the environment?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 09:14:56 PM »

Fact-Salmon Aquaculture sucks, stinks and is a cancer on the BC coast (as anyone who's ever been downwind of a net pen  knows.)

God Rot the Salmon acquaculture 'business' and their paid flunkies/apologists and toadies.

Folkboat

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:44:46 PM »

"Fact-Salmon Aquaculture sucks, stinks and is a cancer on the BC coast (as anyone who's ever been downwind of a net pen  knows.)
God Rot the Salmon acquaculture 'business' and their paid flunkies/apologists and toadies".
   That is a very good "FACT" Sam Salmon. Do you have a study that is third party reviewed which can support your findings?
   Cheers Folkboat.

skibumAB

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »

So SAMSALMON do you think we will be allowed to fish in the "fish farms" once they kill off our wild salmon ( or the salmon runs are so small that they will be closed to recreational fishing) ???
Thanks for the advice on the smell, i guess we will need nose plugs or fish up wind.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:50:41 PM by skibumAB »

Morty

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »

How do we continually let those with direct interests in open pen salmon farms continually derail these discussions?

I believe That the main concern of many here on this site is protection and enhancement of our wild salmon stocks.  Let's not get away from focusing our our wild salmon by those who choose to make this into a much broader, less tangible "environmental" issue.

When we have concerns about the price of gasoline, do we let others distract us with discussion about all the good things that oil wells and refineries have done for our society and economy?
when we have concerns about unemployment, do we let others distract us with quotes about all the employment  and great salaries we've had up until now.
I think that we focus on the challenge at hand.

HELLO!!!  It's about survival of our wild salmon!
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Morty

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »

So SAMSALMON do you think we will be allowed to fish in the "fish farms" once they kill off our wild salmon ( or the salmon runs are so small that they will be close to recreational fishing) ???
Thanks for the advice on the smell, i guess we will need nose plugs or fish up wind.

I wouldn't be surprised.
These ARE for profit businesses - they're not there to improve our environment!
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

skibumAB

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:02:53 PM »

I hope nobody thinks i'm picking on Sam Salmon, i agree with his opinion and hope i never have to get close to a salmon farm.

Folkboat

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:16 PM »

Well Morty, lets let our salmon stocks go to where the U.S. lower west coast salmon went to. Commercial and sport fisheries are closed. There were no fish farms down there to cause this. Tell us please what the cause was. After all      "HELLO!!!  It's about survival of our wild salmon!"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »

How do we continually let those with direct interests in open pen salmon farms continually derail these discussions?

I believe That the main concern of many here on this site is protection and enhancement of our wild salmon stocks.  Let's not get away from focusing our our wild salmon by those who choose to make this into a much broader, less tangible "environmental" issue.

When we have concerns about the price of gasoline, do we let others distract us with discussion about all the good things that oil wells and refineries have done for our society and economy?
when we have concerns about unemployment, do we let others distract us with quotes about all the employment  and great salaries we've had up until now.
I think that we focus on the challenge at hand.

HELLO!!!  It's about survival of our wild salmon!
Very good post.

It always amazes me that people can still defend fish farms with all the damage they have done in every country they have been located before we allowed them in British Columbia.

Wild fish are and always have been our part of our culture and what a shame it is that many want to destroy that. Its past Christmas time but a stocking full of coal to them this coming December. Our fish stocks are under attack on so many fronts the last few years and of course aquaculture is one of them. Thankfully we have many that are now standing up to that threat and trying to reverse that trend.

We owe than a lot of gratitude.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »

i guess we will need nose plugs or fish up wind.
Easier casting that way-especially for the fly guys! 8) ;D

Folkboat

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 10:31:35 PM »

"How do we continually let those with direct interests in open pen salmon farms continually derail these discussions?
when we have concerns about unemployment, do we let others distract us with quotes about all the employment  and great salaries we've had up until now. I think that we focus on the challenge at hand.
HELLO!!!  It's about survival of our wild salmon!"
  Can you people back up the science or studies of your concerns of salmon farming? Or would you rather play the Hearsya, and Presumption game?
  I am proud of what I and others do. I will answer any of your concerns.
     Cheers Folkboat.