Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to take daughter fishing?  (Read 2824 times)

mamabasa

Where to take daughter fishing?
« on: March 11, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »

OK....I'm  a newbie and I couldn't figure out how to post a "new post"...so I replied to this one. ???

I have a 7 year old daughter who, for the last 2 years, has been bugging me about taking her fishing.
I have no clue about fishing, gear, etc, etc.  I have tried looking up "beginner fishing courses for kids" etc.   found lots of kids fishing stuff but out EAST (ontario)
Preferably fishing from "shore" and what are crappies?!
i am so lost.....Help!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Where to take daughter fishing?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:22:12 PM »

Hi mamabasa,

With spring break coming up next week, this is a good time to start taking her fishing.

The main freshwater target species here is rainbow trout. Locally (Lower Mainland), lakes are stocked with rainbow trout on a regular basis between mid March (in the next couple of days) and early June. Depending on where you are, there are several lakes that I recommend you to try out.

If you have no prior knowledge on fishing gear and techniques, then I recommend the "Learn to Fish" program that is offered at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery and Visitor Centre. Please visit this website for more information and phone 604-504-4716 to book a session. The session can be particpated together by you and your daughter. You'll get lessons on trout biology and fishing techniques, and you'll be able to practice what you learn at the trout ponds in the Hatchery.

Lakes that you should try out include Lafarge Lake, Green Timbers Lake, Como Lake and Rice Lake (Rice Lake is currently frozen so don't try it until late spring). You can find information on these lakes at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/index.html

Trout stocking updates in Region 2/Lower Mainland can be found on this page:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/stocking_2.html

Information is added onto there when lakes are stocked. Prior to stocking, there is often a stocking plan and I usually post it up at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20043.0

Later on this year, there will be other programs that are designed just for individuals such as you and your daughter. Please see the following links:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fftf
http://www.bcfamilyfishing.com

Brothersage

Re: Where to take daughter fishing?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »

You might want to try the sun valley trout farm and I sure there is one in abby to! That could give you an Idea on how to set up for trout! They rent everything to you or you can bring your own. I took my girls there to get them interested!

hotrod

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:28:34 AM »

Take her to the river..............any river. I've had my kids casting spin castors since they were 5 yrs old. They'll be moving uo to baitcastors soon. She'll just love being by the river and you! Have fun out there !

Hotrod

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »

Hey Rodney you forgot to mention your great articles on pikeminnow fishing :)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/0401.html

It is probably too early for this kind of fishing right now but my nephew was seven last year and that really turned out to be the best thing for him.   These are the reasons:

a) Unlimited easy access to the shoreline.  (No need for boats)
b) Pike minnows and peamouth chubs in abundance so there is no shortage of strikes.
c) Very easy casting distance - it was only necessary to put the float an arms length away.   This was particulary important because he was not really able to handle the longer distances needed for casting out on places like Como or Lafarge.
d) Dough baits work well but I found dew worms best when doing this with kids - they stay on well and it gives the kids more opportunity for hookups.  (Anything smelly that stays on well should entice them)
e) Relatively predictable - if you fish for these in July/August just before high tide you should get lots of bites.  (It does help if the weather is warm for a while)

It's quite possible for kids to catch these fish unassisted and that gives them a feeling of accomplishment plus a real desire to try again.  After catching about 3 pikeminnows and 2 sculpins my nephew was addicted.  He is even willing to put up with bad days after that :)  I know many people on this site do not consider these fish worthy of true fishermen but I still think they really are the best for kids. After all, they could care less whether it's a pikeminnow or a trout just as long as they catch something.

I have tried my nephew with trout fishing on Lafarge and Como but I experienced difficulties because there was a need to get the float some distance away from the shore line  - not easy for kids.   Spincasting was really difficult, in fact I would say downright hazardous,  because he was not that coordinated.    If you have a small boat that would definitely help. 

The best time for this type of fishing is probably July/August on the Fraser but I believe they can be active as early as May in the smaller tributaries and on Cultus Lake .  I can't say much about those because most of my experience is on the Fraser North Arm.

Mamabasa, if you are interested in taking your daughter out for this kind of fishing in the summer just about anywhere on the Fraser North Arm will work well but there are some spots that are much more productive than others.   If you want directions let me know.  (You will find my email in my user profile).

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:02:39 AM by fishseeker »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:37:24 PM »

The pikeminnow and chub fishing is definitely a good alternative, but it doesn't really start for two more months (maybe longer if it keeps staying cold like this :o ). River fishing is not that ideal for them. Two reasons, safety and complexity of the regulations. Since she mentioned that she does not have much or any fishing knowledge, the best place to take her daughter would be to a controlled environment first where there are some people who can guide them. The Learn to Fish program is highly recommended, it also serves as a biology lessons as you tour around the hatchery. The program is made available for anyone from age 8 to 80. :)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »

You might want to try the sun valley trout farm and I sure there is one in abby to! That could give you an Idea on how to set up for trout! They rent everything to you or you can bring your own. I took my girls there to get them interested!

I second the Sun Valley Trout Park (Mission BC).

I have personally taught many fly fishing classes there as well as coordinated 5 championships there. The new manager is quite helpful. My  family and I are at present revamping our fly fishing classes, which well all be taught there in future. I am currently volunteering as a fly fishing instructor for a parent and child adventures programme through www.adventureretreats.ca. We are also doing these classes at the Trout Park. you might want to start with an adventure retreat. I have taken two groups to the Trout Park so far this year and no-one has been skunked yet.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:29:06 PM »

The pikeminnow and chub fishing is definitely a good alternative, but it doesn't really start for two more months (maybe longer if it keeps staying cold like this :o ). River fishing is not that ideal for them. Two reasons, safety and complexity of the regulations. Since she mentioned that she does not have much or any fishing knowledge, the best place to take her daughter would be to a controlled environment first where there are some people who can guide them. The Learn to Fish program is highly recommended, it also serves as a biology lessons as you tour around the hatchery. The program is made available for anyone from age 8 to 80. :)
Fair enough but the pikeminnow fishing should be considered in the summer ( I did say July/August).  The Fraser North Arm is a very friendly environment for kids.  I see families picknicking and fishing with their kids there all through the summer (..and catching lots I might add).    I definitely agree that it will be helpful to get some knowledge in a controlled environment first.

Sorry Mamabasa, I should have mentioned that the Fraser North Arm is considered to be a tidal region with diffferent licencing requirements.  I don't want to create any confusion on that topic so I will keep quiet now. :-X [Its all described clearly in the tidal license regulations] I also didn't mean to give the impression that an adult shouldn't be present when the child is fishing, only that it is much easier for them to handle the rod and line themselves when the fish are an arm's length away.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:33:26 PM by fishseeker »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 12:18:57 AM »

Before I started spending more time fishing elsewhere (Interior BC), I used to spend some time fishing North Arm etc in May and June for coarse fish. The water is muddy during that time but it doesn't really matter with bait. Definitely a fun fishery even for big kids. ;) The bites are non-stop at anytime, but best during incoming tide. I love fishing North Arm because the current is usually slower than South Arm, but for kids I usually send them over to the two floating docks in Steveston (one at No. 2 Road Pier and the other one just east of the Steveston fishermen dock). Current is usually very weak in that section because it is within a harbour. That floating dock is also an easier platform to stand on and you can get right down to the water easily. For more information on Tidal Fraser fishing, come out to Fish for the Future on July 11th this year. :) I'll have fishing rods being given away etc.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fftf/