Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 166757 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2009, 10:30:51 AM »

The report just came in by phone. Clarity has slipped a bit but still very fishable at 2 feet.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »

Even with all the rain we had last night the river stayed in as the snow level was down. When I picked up a coffee at Tims cars coming from the East had some snow on them.

Fished from first light until about 9:30 and then went for coffee and did not see a fish during that time period but very few anglers around. One angler said he spooked a couple of steelhead while crossing a tailout of a run when it was still dark. Said he was as scared as much as the fish were. ;D

I was back at the river after the coffee break around 11. Sure nice to have longer than the 15 minute breaks we got at work. ;D

Fished some nice water until the end of tubing time, around 2:45 and did see a hatchery taken where I had just fished. ??? ;D Also heard of a 16 pounder taken and The Master lost one but that was it.Maybe some other areas saw some more fish taken. Water conditions improved as the day went on I thought and hopefully the fishing will tomorrow too.

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

Fished right until dark tonight around Teskey Rock, water had a little more color than Saturday and seemed to be up just a tad? No fish...
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »

Lower than yesterday

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »

Conditions much improved today as was the fishing for some. I did not get a bite but was able to tube one from another angler, thanks Larry. I will send Rodney some pictures of the tubing process if he wishes to post them on some thread.

The highlight for me was to give Jon two Maple Leaf Drennans, $3.50 worth of bottles, a coffee at McDonalds and some good fellowship with Gwyn and a number of other anglers.

Two days without a bite but maybe that will change tomorrow. :-\

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2009, 06:23:42 PM »

Crazy slow today..... talked to one other angler (only guy we saw all day) who said he had been fishing since first light and had only caught a small hatchery (which he released to keep fishing). He also said he didn't see another fish all day which is crazy for the water we were fishing and for the length of time he was out.

Vis was great, conditions were nice, biting fish zilch.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »

I was out all day today, fished a bunch of runs and only heard of one guy having one on and saw one fellow walking out with one around 10lbs.  The weather was excellent.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »

Conditions were good again today but no bites for me, the third day in a row this has happened, saw no fish in the area we fished. Nothing for The Master when we talked at 11. ???  Was lovely weather wise and met a good number of pleasant anglers out there too, some were from this forum.

Heard of 4 fish taken and that was it. Day ended by losing my Maple Leaf Drennan so came home disgusted.  >:( :( :'(. I checked a log jam on the way home hoping to find it's limp body but it was not there. However someone else's sadness was my delight as I found a replacement Drennan so now I will be able to go fishing tomorrow. ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:14:11 PM by chris gadsden »

Scott

« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »

I was out there for a couple of hours and couldn't find the fish either.  I did manage to lose 2 drennans in a period of 15 min.  Maybe you picked up one that I lost, Chris.  Hopefully it will bring you more luck than it brought me!

coho killer

« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2009, 04:44:48 PM »

Conditons were alright today if you like low clear water...Hope it rains tonight so my hot spot becomes hot again ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2009, 06:01:45 PM »

Yes water is getting low.... wouldnt call it very clear yet. I would say 3-4 feet visi once again. Must not be any snow to melt because it was 10 degrees again today and water hasnt moved, in fact has gone down minimally every day.

coho killer

« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2009, 06:54:26 PM »

There must be alittle snow because it seems to dirty up in the afternoon a little

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2009, 07:03:24 PM »

The Ranger slide seems to seep more when it warms up, not sure of the reason. I think the river is great the way it is now, just gotta find the new "hot spot." They are around, and easier to find when the water is low.  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2009, 11:40:59 AM »

With the rain we got last night and today the river appeared to be coloring up when I left it shortly after 9 this morning, but was still fisherable at that time. To cold and miserable to stick it out. ??? ::)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »

you should have stuck it out Chris. the weather broke, rain stopped and the sun came out around noon. and then the bite turned on (at least where i was)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/