Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 165552 times)

one more cast

we even found a few unopened beers. ;D

That's a good catch. What rock were you on?

Steve

Splitshot

Can anyone please give me a report on the water clarity for the lower canal area of the Vedder? I am mainly concerned about the mouth where it dumps into the Fraser. Has anyone been fishing the mouth area?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

milo

• Old Timer

If you look at the hydrometric chart for the Vedder, you'll se that the river is very high, which points to the fact that it must also be quite murky. Ever since the claybank slides, the Vedder becomes murky as soon as the water gets above 2 m at the crossing.
Plus, it's freshet time, which aggravates the situation. Time to hit the lakes.  ;)

http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/formnav.asp?lang=0

blader

I miss the day's when the river was at 2-3 feet of vis when the graph was at the 2.3-2.4 which in my mind was perfect conditions. Last year anything under 2.2 meant low and clear with trapped fish. This year was VERY low water. Take some time comparing water levels from years past when the water seemed very low and clear but it was still much higher then this year.

younggun

• Old Timer

this year opened up new water in the low conditions, but demolished the runs that i was used to. Early on with the high water we found some awsome spots off to the sides of the main flow, and was quite successful in them, but as the levels dropped the spots were erased and new runs and pockets formed. Fortunately though, the clarity stayed at about 2-4ft in the areas i fished, and i think it helped with making the fish feel secure, even though the water was low.

as a side not, only 7 months and 26 days to go!  ;D

congrats to all that connected this season, and good luck to those who didn't, may the days of cold where i'm covered in 5 layers of clothing and wearing 3 pairs of socks come quickly.
Fish killer 101

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water colored today in the canal area. The mergansers by the dozens were busy feeding on the salmon fry and the steelhead smolts.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water conditions looked okay today for anyone wishing to do some fly fishing below the Vedder Bridge over the weekend.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River now in full freshet mode and very silty but I did see two anglers flicking the fly this afternoon, above the Hydro Bridge.