Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 165500 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Between early December and late April, the Chilliwack River offers a productive winter steelhead fishery for both local and visiting anglers around the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland. While other nearby systems also provide such a fishery, the Chilliwack River tends to yield more success due to the amount of fish being produced by the Chilliwack River Hatchery. This thread has several objectives:

• To provide valuable information such as fishing techniques, regulations, fish identification and other related information for first-time anglers who wish to participate.
  • To provide updated river condition such as water clarity and level for all anglers

Fishing regulations

Regulations for the steelhead fishery differ slightly to the fall salmon fisheries in BC, so please familiarize by going through the BC Freshwater Fishing Regulation Synopsis from time to time if unsure. For the Chilliwack River, anglers should be aware of these regulations. Please report violators by phoning 1-877-952-RAPP (7277).

• You must have a valid freshwater angling license. You must purchase a steelhead conservation surcharge if you wish to fish for steelhead (even if you only intend to catch and release).
  • You can only keep one hatchery steelhead, which can be identified by the absence of the adipose fin and the presence of a healed scar. Once you retain your hatchery steelhead, you must stop fishing and mark your catch on your license immediately.
  • All wild steelhead must be released with care by keeping the fish in the water at all time.
  • All chinook salmon must be released between January 1st and May 31st. Anglers may encounter early chinook salmon occasionally in the winter steelhead fishery, so please be aware of the differences between a chinook salmon and a steelhead.
  • Please be aware of the new upper no fishing boundary by reading this fishery notice.
  • The river section above the Vedder Crossing is closed from May 1st to June 30th.
  • The river section below the Vedder Crossing is only opened to flyfishing from May 1st to May 31st. All (wild and hatchery) rainbow and cutthroat trout are required to be released during this period.

Fish species and identifications

While the primary target species is steelhead in this fishery, several other species may also be encountered. It is important to know the morphological differences between these species.

Steelhead's life history is similar to pacific salmon's. It is a variation of rainbow trout, which has an ocean phase. Unlike pacific salmon, steelhead may not die liek pacific salmon after spawning. Size range of steelhead from the Chilliwack River ranges between 6lb and 15lb, while bigger fish have often been recorded every season.

Several identification keys can be used to recognize a steelhead. Its white gum and tongue, lack of teeth behind the tongue. Once arrived from the ocean, its body is silver with heavily spotted back. Its tail is spotted from top to bottom and it is not forked. During spawning phase, pink and red colourations become apparent on the gill plates and across the body. Below are additional photos that may assist you.

Resident rainbow trout can also be caught while targeting steelhead. Unlike steelhead, they are typically under 18 inches in length or 2lb in weight. Only hatchery rainbow trout can be kept.

Bull trout are often encountered while targeting steelhead and they are required to be released. Their size ranges between 1lb and 10lb. Bull trout can easily be identified by its white and pink spots across the body. Their mouth is large and extends way behind the eyes. The end of their pelvic fins is often white.

Coastal cutthroat trout travel in schools. Several identification keys can be used to differentiate them from rainbow trout. Their body and tail are heavily spotted from top to bottom. An orange slack can be found on the bottom side of the gill plate. Their size typically ranges between 8 and 20 inches. Only hatchery cutthroat trout can be kept.

Mountain whitefish belong in the salmonid family. While their body is similar to a minnow, one can easily identify them by locating the adipose fin. Their mouth is small and protudes slightly. Their size typically ranges between 8 and 20 inches.

2009 steelhead brood collection program

Information to come.

Additional readings

Additional video clips

Additional help

Your local tackle stores in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley provide excellent additional resource.

Derby information

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:14:42 PM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Nice information Rodney for the beginning of another steelhead season.

No rain this afternoon so water should be prime for the first Iron of the season tomorrow. ;D ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Conditions worse then yesterday but fishable, 2 feet visablity. Spent some time on an easter egg hunt, when I should have been fishing.

I guess Chris has been slacking lately, I left the bottles behind for yeah.
Couldnt carry any more to fish comfortably.   ;)
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions worse then yesterday but fishable, 2 feet visablity. Spent some time on an easter egg hunt, when I should have been fishing.

I guess Chris has been slacking lately, I left the bottles behind for yeah.
Couldnt carry any more to fish comfortably.   ;)
Nice find, any drennans? I certainly donot need any more floats having over a thousand.

Conditions should imorove tomorrow if we do not get rain.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

I went exploring some new water and they were just scattered along the bank, easy grabs. picked up well over 100 but only 3 were clear floats.
The Bigger The Better!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Waters looking good, where are the fish?
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Looked OK when I looked this morning but it was from a distance. We had heavy rain this afternoon in the Valley but snow level was down on the mountains. No rain now and it should cool down by the forcast this evening. Of course there is always a chance clay from the slides can drop in at any time.

At least the gas is cheaper now and not so costly these days to drive from the Lower Mainland. ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer

Water is getting quite low. Visibility was good, around 3 feet, maybe slightly more.
Freezing cold out today with very, very stong winds. Couldn't even cast properly.
Saw 2 fish rise, didn't see any caught. Not very many other people out today, saw maybe 10 from tamahi down to the train bridge.

Looks like snow is on the way. Was starting to spit when we left. Can't see the mountain anymore. Should make for some intersting driving if we get any accumulation.
Good luck  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Snow coming in from the North East by the look of it.

We just visted the river and it is way to windy to try and get a proper drift so went to Tims instead.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

So, probably a stupid question that I might already know the answer to... but here goes.  :D

Hows the river? ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

So, probably a stupid question that I might already know the answer to... but here goes.  :D

Hows the river? ;D
The strong NE wind in the Lower will make fishing difficult at the best. Maybe you could find some sheltered areas up river and you will most likely have the river to yourself.

At least we donot have any snow like many other parts of the Province.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Things have improved greatly today. Wind has died right down, -3 at this time and water conditions A1.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

The wind was howling when I got into the Wack this morning.... so I went up river.  Gotr tucked away for about 30 min where the cold wasn't really an issue, then I hiked a lot, found some real nice water and did not come up with anything.  My hands are still a bit tingly.... :P 
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

dss

Hrm it was wind free pretty much everywhere I noticed today. Maybe the river valley had some gusts going through it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Just shovelled off the driveway of about 5 inches of snow, it is now time for a double double at Tims. ;D

The snow has stopped but that chilling NE wind is still with us and most likely will get worse in the days ahead.