Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 167470 times)

dss

Was out below Lickman from about 10-12 and visibility seemed to be about 1.5 - 2 feet. Has that cloudy silty green look to it which I'm not a fan of so I didn't stick around too long but it's fishable if you are looking to head out for the weekend. Of course Allison and above is in the best shape but I didn't bother heading up that way today.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Out for another 3 hours today, once again a lovely day to be out there. We have no fog like the Lower Mainland has. Visibility around 2 feet as dss reported. I fished some great water but had no success and I did not see any other fish caught by a good number of other anglers I saw in the area I fished.

Heard of two caught including one by "The Master", what else is new. ;D ;D  It was in the middle teens, a nice fresh run hatchery doe.

River seems to go in and out but if you can only fish the weekend it is worth going out but it seems the fish are few and far between but that could change of course at any time. ;D

bateman

• paintings of fish and nature

when does the fishing pick up, im dying to get out there but want to see some action
paintings of fish and nature:
http://www.folkart-levin.com

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

when does the fishing pick up, im dying to get out there but want to see some action
You just have to go as much as possible and one day they will be there for you. With the higher water conditions and the color of the water the fish have so many places to lay in and feel comfortable at the same time.

As well the fish will be moving all times of the day so you never know when your float will be going down, thats steelhead fishing and what makes it so challenging. ;D ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Well bateman steelheading requires work and if you are just looking for action all the time then steelheading is not for you. This is not a fish where you can just be a fence post and chuck your gear at the same spot and be successful.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

The slow fishing is not a good omen. You would think after all the high water  and in mid January that fishing should be great when the water is clearing up. All that talk of next to nothing for whole bunch of fishermen is not a good omen. But I hope fishing will heat up when the river drops more or a new batch of fish will arrive. Steelheading is hard to be certain from one year to another. This year only a couple of fish in the Derby, but one year (quite a while ago), there were 30+ fish in that year's derby. I hope the fish is just late. Good luck to all.

tnt

I think people over worry about how many fish are around... there is a lot of fish in the river... just have to find them...I have hooked 9 fish so far in 7 trips... dont forget ... the fish arent going to be sitting in the deep water in the runs right now... they will be tucked along the beach until the water cleans up....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions about the same as yesterday and lots of people were enjoying another nice day on the river although a bit of a NE wind blowing. When I stopped at a parking lot and picked up one bag of garbage and drink containers I heard of one fish taken and two lost. Also another report of two steelhead or the same one observed  rolling.

I did not fish but beside the bag of garbage got about $12 worth of bottles and tins, a Maple Leaf Drennan  ;D and enjoyed visiting with a number of anglers.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions still OK this AM in the Lower but the NE wind was blowing harder than it had the last few days in some areas, making getting good drifts a bit difficult.

I may slip out later today if the wind dies down and the weekend angler had gone home.

dss

Still at about 2 feet visibility in the lower or has it cleared anymore since Friday?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

Was about 2 feet this morning and fished the lower till about 10am then moved up river above the slide where it was alot better. Came back down to the lower at around 1 and noticed that the water was about 1 foot maybe a little more.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

hue-nut

• Old Timer

yeah, fished Keith Wilson at 2:30 for an hour or so. Visibility was terrible, worse than a week ago, i'd say a foot at best. It seems that the river down low is just not shaping up, its too bad.

hue-nut

• Old Timer

well last Wednesday at least, I had expected it to clear up a lot more within the last 5 days

Every Day

• Old Timer

Im pretty sure the Ranger run slide has no let go. Visibility was clear at Allison at 1 ish when I went upriver. Fished pockets down from slab for a while and came back down to Allison where visibility was now about 2 feet at most. Lower (Lickman) was super bad at around 3 with only a foot visibility at best. Hopefully it was just due to snow melt from todays weather and will be back in shape by mid week.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Slipped down to the river at first light as we are now doing brood capture for the Chilliwack River Hatchery. As some fish were taken there on Saturday I had hoped if I did not get a wild fish for the tube someone else would.

Water conditions were not the greatest and the NE wind made it a bit cool. I fished and waited around for about a hour but none of the other 3 anglers in the area connected. All I got was a nice Maple Leaf DNE that was lodged in between some rip rap.

I cleaned up more garbage in this small parking area, getting my fourth bag in the 3 days I have started to clean it up. A couple more bags to do yet. It amazes me that there is a number of anglers and other users that continue to throw out their coffee cups and everything else under the sun.

Dean at Fred's Custom Tackle was good enough to allow me to put the garbage bags in their dumpster.
While I was there picking up the badminton racket that fly guy so kindly had left for me I was told a fellow brought in a fish a bit over 17 pounds this morning and took home the $100 for the first fish over 17 in the Wall Hall Jr. Memorial Steelhead Derby. Of course that fish sits on the top rung of the derby.

Just got a call from "The Master" and he hooked 2 this morning so I guess the conditions are not as bad as I thought, maybe I should have stayed out but am going to badminton instead, to try out my new racket. Nick said the river had come up again and I see by the Vedder Crossing gauge it is up 6 inches from 2 days ago. I guess the mild afternoon temperatures here in the Valley have created some snow melt. :o