Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 165548 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

We are hoping to make it out there on Saturday and Tuesday so hopefully the weather will hold. Oh and Chris I have a badminton racket for you. It is a wilson titanium smash. My kids have no interest in playing so consider it a christmas gift for you  ;D as I know you enjoy the sport. I will put it in the car when searun and I come out and I will get it to you somehow.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Every Day

• Old Timer

Decided to brave the elements and go out to the river today. Little bit sketchy driving in my light rear-wheel drive car, but made it the the river ok. Started walking the dike and wanted to go down. Snow drifts along the bacnk made the snow around thigh deep in places and you could not see the dike rocks underneath it at all. About 3 steps down the bank I ate it pretty bad, thankfully I was holding onto a branch and didnt rip my waders. Sheer ice under all the snow.

Made it down to the water and within around 30 mins all of my bait was frozen except for the lone roe sac I had put on my hook. Pretty much everything froze in that time. All the guides on my rod tip were frozen solid, I could harldey walk because my waders were covered in ice and felt like cardboard. This is what my float looked like after around 20 mins of fishing  ::)

While out there I almost fell 4 or 5 times on the sheer ice all along the edges. Have never seen anything like it before. There is snow everywhere and under it is very smooth, very slippery clear ice. The ice extends probably about 4 feet out from the edge where the water line use to be. The worst part in the last 2 feet of the ice "shelf" is only 2, maybe 3 inches thick at most and it breaks, so be careful if you are stepping on it. 

Overall conditions were : very cold, too windy for my liking, super clear, and super super low. Going to be very hard to get anything out of there right now, but it is still worth pounding it if you are determined (and want frost bite). Some nice scenery to be had right now. And don't forget the gloves and toque.

Main point of this post is - BE CAREFUL out there right now. Conditions are not very safe. Take it slow and easy, and make sure you watch you step. Ill leave you with this picture of the "ice shelf"  ;)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:27:48 PM by Every Day »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Everyone,

Keep the person chit chat in private messages, emails or messengers please. It is frustrating for others to click on the thread expecting to read about river condition but only to find posts that are not relevant to the thread.

Also, Chilliwack River fishing reports should go into the fishing reports section.

Thanks all.

Every Day

• Old Timer

Wasn't really meant to be a fishing report... more of water condition and freezing cold weather report. Was out again today, more of the same. Crazy cold, make sure you cover every part of your body that you can. Its probably not even worth coming out right now, I don't even think I will be going this weekend, hands, toes and face are bright red right now and stinging like crazy  ::)...

J.G.

You guys have no idea what "cold" is.......It's a balmy -27 where I am.....I'll be swinging flies for steelhead tommorow......

fyrslyer

Clarity about 4 foot visibility mid river, water level a little low for most peoples standards

Every Day

• Old Timer

Water report for today : Low, clear, and almost frozen. The lower has chunks of ice floating around everywhere and is pretty much flowing slush. The water is so cold, (below freezing I'm assuming) that since our line was moving the same speed it froze and everything got coated in ice. Within 20 mins I had "nature's flossing rig."  We left after around 30 mins because it was not worth fishing. In the upper you have the icing problem on your line, in the lower, if you somehow hook a fish a peice of ice will have you snapped off in no time. Might want to wait until warmer temps to come out here.

Up close pic of the line

Pic of my jig.... good luck hooking a fish with this hook

Pic of the water in the lower....

Pic of the train bridge area

Have fun out there  ;D
By the way, the hatchery has TONS of coho.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:01:34 PM by Every Day »

kingpin

• Old Timer

6'' of snow over nite and then the ice, great conditions tomorrow ::)
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

yakideath12

lol u had a frozen jig, i had a completely frozen roe sec today ;D

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?

haha, wow its really frozen over there, wonder how the smaller rivers are gona look  :D
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

dennyman

• Old Timer

Well it is starting to warm up in the Valley, but with that comes more snow. Looks like more is predicted throughout the week, with a major dump occurring unfortunately on Boxing Day. If they have to postpone the Derby, hopefully they make the announcement early enough so people don't get caught in a snow storm. That stretch of Highway 1 between Chilliwack and Abbotsford can get real treacherous when it snows.

younggun

• Old Timer

4x4, 1st and low, and chains. NO PROBLEM! fishing in the snow is fun, as long as my gear doesn't freeze up!
Fish killer 101

Every Day

• Old Timer

Too bad we dont all have trucks... I for one am screwed after tonight  ::)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

15-20 cm forcasted for boxing day

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

We are getting our share of snow now probably around 10 inches since yesterday with the current temperature at -4 but no wind to speak of.

The report I got today fishing is a bit dangerous out there with the snow and ice but the odd fish is being picked up for the brave that have been venturing out there.