Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nicomekl River, November 11th 2008  (Read 5521 times)

joska

• Old Timer
Nicomekl River, November 11th 2008
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:54:34 PM »

well good news and bad news...  i hit the nick today and fishing was slow.. still managed to land five  cutties... all were the regular 10-12 inches... <<and the bigg ones are in there>>  must be  llots of food in the system cause they all were real fat... was a good day none the less... and the bad news... was reeling in my rig and i felt something.... soon felt like a snag but it kept coming as i brought my line in...  i snaged a small spin caster... some kid had his hook across the stream  in the trees across...  i see there's a vedder  river clean up would it be even worth trying to do one for the nick...   
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Nicomekl River, November 11th 2008
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »

Organizing a river cleanup is quite easy. Start small and let it grow. The first few Vedder River cleanups were attended by dozens of people. Today they are attended by over 200 people each time.

My recommendation would be to contact the Nicomekl Enhancement Society first. Although their primary project is operating the hatchery, they occasionally do other stream-related projects such as tree planting. The hatchery can be used as a meeting place for cleanup volunteers.

Stream cleanups are best done in September. It's a good idea to be part of the TD Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup.

Good to hear some cutties were caught. ;)

salmon river

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »

Believe it or not, bread works great in that river for Rainbows and the loads of carp..

There are also some sturgeon in there too. Most are under 3 feet.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:02:45 PM »

Believe it or not, bread works great in that river for Rainbows and the loads of carp..

There are also some sturgeon in there too. Most are under 3 feet.

pfff bread? dinner time's over brah!
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

CohoOn!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 02:05:08 AM »

I have a bud that claims he catches trout all day long with bread....cheaper than worms! ;D
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

coho_killer

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 06:15:07 PM »

Man i've fished this stream for years and never caught a sturgon nor a carp! let alone see one! And never caught a hatchery trout of any kind in there either! Lots of very small trout/smolts and the odd coho mind you i hooked a really big chum this year on my lil trout setup thats all i use there and works great! Where do these carp you guys speak of hide? i'm guessing the lower cause i fish the upper and like i said never seen one! And theres seems to be alot of pumpkin sunfish in there and i've even caught a flounder in there too!

CK
Wild fish don't do drugs!

yamadirt 426

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »

Man i've fished this stream for years and never caught a sturgon nor a carp! let alone see one! And never caught a hatchery trout of any kind in there either! Lots of very small trout/smolts and the odd coho mind you i hooked a really big chum this year on my lil trout setup thats all i use there and works great! Where do these carp you guys speak of hide? i'm guessing the lower cause i fish the upper and like i said never seen one! And theres seems to be alot of pumpkin sunfish in there and i've even caught a flounder in there too!

CK

What are catching the pumkin sunfish with CK

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »

How big are these pumpkin sunfish in the Nicomekl Fiver ????

coho_killer

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »

The sunfish are not all that big but they seem to inhale my worm everytime! thisyear i've cought more than years past! I know they do not belong in this system but what do ya do? I'm not the kind of fisherman to just throw them into the bushes thats just crule! But there must be something! Now where are these carp hiding again? I fish around 184 st and over the past 10 plus years never hooked one!

CK
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:40:21 AM by coho_killer »

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:55:45 PM »

I know they do not belong in this system but what do ya do? I'm not the kind of fisherman to just throw them into the bushes thats just crule!

:-X

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 07:31:01 AM »

The sunfish you are catching ,are they caught still fishing under a float or are you casting and winding back slowly  ?

Camman

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »

The sunfish you are catching ,are they caught still fishing under a float or are you casting and winding back slowly  ?
you can get them that way or just let it drift.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo323/rcm33/P8300019.jpg
here is one from the Little Campbell.

coho_killer

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 09:23:19 AM »

i fish many methods in the nic but it's when i dead drift a worm is when i get most of those lil sunfish! what does one do when that catch them? Maybe keep for crab bait?

CK

coho_killer

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »

well good news and bad news...  i hit the nick today and fishing was slow.. still managed to land five  cutties... all were the regular 10-12 inches... <<and the bigg ones are in there>>  must be  llots of food in the system cause they all were real fat... was a good day none the less... and the bad news... was reeling in my rig and i felt something.... soon felt like a snag but it kept coming as i brought my line in...  i snaged a small spin caster... some kid had his hook across the stream  in the trees across...  i see there's a vedder  river clean up would it be even worth trying to do one for the nick...   

What part of the river were you fishing?

CK

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 09:26:15 AM »

Can you catch now or are they mainly a summer fish ? Is the Nicomekl clean , what I mean is would you eat the sunfish from that river  ?