Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nicomekl River, November 11th 2008  (Read 5520 times)

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
Re: Nicomekl River, November 11th 2008
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »

I for one am sick of the poaching and mistreatment I seen and often hear about on this river on a regular basis.Yes, I have reported this behavior to the authorities and I am glad to say I have seen fiheries on the river as a direct result.  I am also sick of seeing this river come up on posts on the internet, people should know better than to mention small streams with few fish on forums such as this one, it just attracts more poachers, and poluters, and general poor  fisherman thinking its a great spot to kill some wild fish and litter all over the bank because its a place where you are unlikley to get caught. This river has been treated porly enough in the past for ingnorant people to kick the river while it is down. People who post about small rivers with few fish are often poor fisherman who need to post thier success to get a pat on the back from someone, because for many the internet is the only place they can make people believe they are  a skilled fisherman, being recognized as a good angler in the "real" world takes far to much work for these types.Well I have news that should not be new to anyone on these boards, report on small streams with few fish and you wont make any friends. Such reports draw people that kill wild fish to small streams with few fish. There is no excuse, know the regs before you go. If you are new to the sport and dont want to read the regs because its too much trouble go to a river that is busy and has lots of fish so some real fisherman who know the rules will be there to call fisheries when you decide to kill a wild fish, instead odf going to a small stream by yourself and making up the rules as you go along. AND TO GLX BEST TO KEEP THOSE SECRETS TO YOURSELF UNLESS YOU LIKE TO FISH ANLONGSIDE MANY OTHERS WHO WILL SHOW UP WITHOUT LICENSES AND TAGS HOPING TO KILL ANYTHING THEY MAY ENCOUNTER DURING THE TIME OF WHICH YOU SPEAK.

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »

and yes I know some of you will feel what I have said is harsh but the reality is that WILD FISH OR ANY FISH YOU ARE PROHIBITED FROM RETAINING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR FEELINGS. UNDUE PRESSURE DUE TO INTERNET POSTS ON SMALL RIVERS WITH FEW FISH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR FEELINGS. Internet board administrators need to take the attitude of being a responsible angler angler first and a internet board administraor second, and get rid of posts on small systems with few fish, doing so would lead to much less strife and argument and hopefully a few less prohibited fish from going home with a few ignorant anglers. For those who want a test before a license is doled out....well there is already a test. The test is if you care enough to read the regulations... unfortunatley too many people fail this test at the expense of everyone else.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »

Steelheadjunkie, you may not realize, but people complain about post of small rivers and larger rivers. People complain about the Thompson being reported on, or the Vedder, or the Chehalis, or Norrish. Every river report gets complaints from someone. For the administrators to delete any report that someone finds will ruin a river would leave us with no reports.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »

:o  i am speechless....

Alot of members like to jump down ppls throats for little or big infractions keep that in mind!

thats an understatement CK....  i gotta ask steelheadjunkie, when you first started fishing you never made a mistake....  you did all  right and never wrong?   if your so good why aren't you an administrator?

If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »

judging by your photo I believe I have met you on the Nick earlier this year. Misinterpretation of the regs is a big problem and is poaching. I met a guy earlier who didn't know the difference between a jack cocho or spring and killed a wild ho - swore it was a spring. learn from this. There are no excuses. I have fished the Nic for over 40 years - it can't sustain these  kind of error.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 08:39:58 PM »

im not surprised..this has been happening regularly and posted on here regularly.... read the regs before you fish anywhere. and why you would want to keep a fish out of a small river like that is beyond my understanding.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »

Mistakes are ok... we all learn from them. I beleive at one time everyone learning to fish has bottom bounced, accidentally killed the wrong thing, etc. People just seem to not be able to remeber back to when they started. When I started learning I pretty much taught myself. It wasn't until last Steelhead season that I actually started getting good at short floating.  ;)

Here is one for you : 1st year of fishing a guy came up to me at a backwash and asked me if I wanted a nice chrome spring. Not knowing any better I said yes and took the fish and the guy promplty left upriver (still within sight). Started cleaning it and realized it had red meat. Then I realized it was a wild coho that the guy had just dumped on me  :o To make matters worse I got checked by DFO right after figuring it out, thankfully there were other people around that witnessed the guy giving me the fish and the DFO guy went upriver and wrote a ticket, and I got to keep the fish  ::) That by the way is the only time I have ever seen DFO on the river, figures  ::)  :o

Next time check the regs. And if you make a mistake, don't post it on the internet, people will slaughter you. We have seen it a good 5 times this year with people posting pics of Cultus Lake sockeye, wild coho, etc.