Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone fly fished in Deer Lake - Burnaby? Local lakes?  (Read 23991 times)

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
Has anyone fly fished in Deer Lake - Burnaby? Local lakes?
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:43:59 PM »

Hi All,

Thought this would be a long shot but thought I'd ask... has anyone fished Deer Lake this year or lately?

I thought it might be worth putting on the waders and giiving it a try on the far west side of the lake - I've seen guys casting off of a beach area.

Likewise, any good lake fishing around town?

Any insight would be great... Thanks!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Has anyone fly fished in Deer Lake - Burnaby? Local lakes?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:09:25 PM »

Deer Lake has not been stocked with rainbow trout since April so fishing would probably be slow. If flyfishing from shore is the only option, it is worth to try Lafarge Lake in Coquitlam and Green Timbers Lake in Surrey. The west side of Green Timbers Lake has plenty of backcasting room and the fish are very reachable from shore. Lafarge Lake can also be flyfished from the beach. Now would also be a good time to try as the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery has been stocking it with larger rainbow trout (up to 5lb).

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:32:46 AM »

Nice shiba innu

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:43:24 AM »

Fish Assassin, Thanks - yes, that's my fishing buddy...lol. Hasn't learned to cast yet but she gets pretty excited when we get fish in the boat!

Rodney, thanks for the tips. I was just reading a paper about returning Salmon in Burnaby (Burnaby Mountain) - incredible... local story... they've been working on some of those streams since 1995!

I fished deer lake along time ago as a kid highschool and used to catch and release carp... I once saw a fly fisherman pull out a trout I'd say was about 18 or so inches way back then... so I thought it would be worth trying.

However, I think I'll give your suggestions a shot.

My shoulder's still abit tired from casting and breaking off Chum from the weekend...lol...

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 08:57:24 AM »

I have tried deer lake a few times and never been successful - dissapointing because its very close to home for me.

Lafarge or Como are your best bet right now for sure.   If you don't have a boat for Lafarge go to the North side of the lake and wade out until the depth starts to drop off - be careful if you plan to do this because you don't want to find yourself up to your neck all of sudden. (Normally I go until the water reaches my waist - probably harder now because the water level in Lafarge has gone up signficantly these past few weeks).

That's the only way I have been able to catch 'em flyfishing from the shore.  The south side is a very gradual drop off and it's hard to get the fly in the zone that way.

I hope that helps and good luck e36blue.  (PS: Thanks for your tips about flyfishing under an indicator - I may be giving that a try tomorrow).

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 05:30:30 PM »

Is there anything in Deer and Burnaby lakes except duck poop.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 06:46:58 PM »

I've seen an old man using a float and a fly with spinning tackle catch trout. Now, I happened to be fishing beside him with a spinner, and I still managed to catch trout at Deer Lake.  However, this was about 15 years ago. I must say Deer lake is very dead right now. The last few times I visited Deer Lake, I've seen fly fisherman in their waders fishing near the beach. They caught nothing.  The last time I saw fish was a carp playing around the lily pads a few years ago - a very nice size carp too - about 5 lbs.  About 4 years ago, a courier who delivers to my workplace caught a carp that was almost 3 feet long at Deer Lake.  It took him about 30 minutes to land the fish. A mixture of peanut butter, bread and honey was his bait.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:57:31 PM by Long_Cast »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »

there are resident cutthroat in Deer Lake. I have seen them in the creeks running into the creek including the one by the beach. I can't tell you how many but they are there. Rainbows are stocked from time to time and bait fishers get them off the boat rental dock in early spring.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chilcotin

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »

Where is Green Timbers lake. I work in Surrey so I might try it after work.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:22:08 PM »

Green Timbers lake is in Green Timbers Urban Forest Park @ Fraser Highway and 140th.  Access to the lake is off 100th Ave between 140th and 148th.  The Lake was created after a section of Green Timbers Urban Forest Park was cleared to build a sports facility.  The local outcry was so great that the plans for a sports complex was scrapped in favour of a more "Green" alternative of a picnic area with the lake.  As a side note, I will be giving a presentation in April at the Surrey Museum and Archives on the History of Green Timbers (the fight to ave the original stand of old forest trees in the 1920s), which was the basis for my Master thesis a few years back, "Giant Killers: Forestry, Conservation and Recreation in Green Timbers Forest, Surrey, British Columbia to 1930.
Not all those who wander are lost

kid fisherman

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »

There are trout in there year round and you can catch them you just need to put the time and effort in and you will be rewarded!
Ps e36blue did you go to central?

jimmywits

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »

I fish Deer Lake quite often in the spring and fall and have had good day's and bad day's. I use my punt to get out on the water and I only use fly's, usually with type one sinking line or my sinking tip line. I far prefer Deer lakes surroundings over Lafarge and Como, and it is a large enough lake to get away from all the shore activity and noise, and is about fifteen minutes from home. They stock it every year with bows, but not to the same degree as the other urban ponds. I see on the stocking plan for this upcoming season that it is getting more fish this year than in the last number of years. I would like to see Deer lake get a much bigger share of fish, as I believe because of its size it could take allot of the pressure off the overcrowded urban ponds and make for a better fishing experience. I fish it when I am really limited for time but need a fix. It get's too warm from early summer until late September, but on either side of these dates it can and does produce. Also when the lake get's too warm to fish, the boat rentals and paddle wheeler rentals get busy, so it all works out for everyone.

tight lines

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 10:28:28 AM »

.., I will be giving a presentation in April at the Surrey Museum and Archives on the History of Green Timbers (the fight to ave the original stand of old forest trees in the 1920s), which was the basis for my Master thesis a few years back, "Giant Killers: Forestry, Conservation and Recreation in Green Timbers Forest, Surrey, British Columbia to 1930.

Interesting. When I was a boy my family lived in the area and I went to green timbers Elementary School. We lived on acerage and there was a small creek that flowed through the property and there were trout in it. Other creeks had salmon as well. Its much changed and that creek now flows amid monster houses.

Back to Deer Lake in Burnaby. There a lot of carp in there as I recall. Anyone fish carp in there? The lake also has had a problem with contamination via water fowl droppings and can get a wierd blue surface film of algae.  other than that the lake is relatively pretty thanks to the old Oakalla lands which have been made park and undeveloped.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

jimmywits

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »

"The lake also has had a problem with contamination via water fowl droppings and can get a wierd blue surface film of algae."

I have questioned the staff at the Frazer valley trout hatchery about the water quality and if there were any concerns as to the edibility of the trout. They told me there were no concerns at all as they would definitely not stock them, if there were and that water samples are taken from time to time. Also, the vast majority of the water fowl congregate right were the public beach is located looking for handouts, so with my punt I get well away from that area for more reasons than that. Many lakes have algae blooms throughout the year, and I have not seen one on Deer Lake yet. The staff at the hatchery were quite happy to discuss the matter with me and allayed any concerns I had, as I am sure they would be happy to do for all anglers.

tight lines

mcphisto

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

Fly-fishing from shore at Lafarge lake is now banned by Coquitlam City I believe. Better check it out first as they had complaints from people out walking.