Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone fly fished in Deer Lake - Burnaby? Local lakes?  (Read 24009 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Has anyone fly fished in Deer Lake - Burnaby? Local lakes?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »

Ha Ha, that's funny.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

SteelHunter

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

Thats too bad for people without boats, i fish there regularly and always  bring my boat to lafarge and usually catch 20-30 fish from 9am to dark.

I practice catch and release ;)

vancook

• Old Timer

evo

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »

Thanks for the link Vancook, too bad about Lafarge.   I used to have a lot of success at Deer Lake around sunset near the dock on the North Side.  Not sure if the dock's there anymore.  The fish would be in a feeding frenzy.  I would even catch a carp or two :)  I wonder if there are boat rentals in the summer.

slick vic

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 12:52:04 AM »

The lafarge doesn't have a fly fishing ban. Read the document to the end and you'll find out. It's a public property.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 08:34:29 AM »

The lafarge doesn't have a fly fishing ban. Read the document to the end and you'll find out. It's a public property.
Just because it is public, doesn't mean they cannot stop us from fly fishing there.  99% of the "public" does not fly fish.  They considered the ban, but their observations showed it was not warranted as the fly fishing was not being done, on more than an occasional basis, in areas where back casts might cross the walking/cycling paths.  Therefore, they determined that signs would suffice.  This could change if more fly fishermen were to fish in those areas and cause problems for walkers and cyclist.  Luckily most fly fishermen can use common sense and do not fish in areas where the public walk in their back cast zone.
Not all those who wander are lost

evo

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »

If you're wading in Lafarge, be aware of some very unexpected sudden drop-offs close to shore on the North side.  A steep knee hight to chest height "fall" caused my friend to get soaked.

Gonefishy

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »

Anyone here generous enough to share what type of fly they use at the lakes that gave them the most sucess?

Thanks in advance.

kaolinite

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »

the color green

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 08:04:15 AM »

Pumpkinhead leech

jimmywits

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »

Deer Lake has not been stocked with rainbow trout since April so fishing would probably be slow. If flyfishing from shore is the only option, it is worth to try Lafarge Lake in Coquitlam and Green Timbers Lake in Surrey. The west side of Green Timbers Lake has plenty of backcasting room and the fish are very reachable from shore. Lafarge Lake can also be flyfished from the beach. Now would also be a good time to try as the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery has been stocking it with larger rainbow trout (up to 5lb).
Hey Rod,
Why is  Deer Lake neglected the way it is, this has been a very cool spring and yet Deer lake has received a fraction of the fish the other urban ponds get. I understand the problems that arise with rising temperatures and shallow lakes, but this spring has been ideal to put trout in that system. It is a very central lake, much larger than all of the other urban ponds, with excellent access, I just don't get it. I know you went to bat for the cause last year, is there any chance of having another round? The fishing experience at Deer Lake is significantly better than the other urban ponds
as there is no overcrowding due to its size, and watercraft are allowed, unlike Green Timbers and Rice lake. Food for thought

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 11:35:36 PM »

"The lake also has had a problem with contamination via water fowl droppings and can get a wierd blue surface film of algae."

I have questioned the staff at the Frazer valley trout hatchery about the water quality and if there were any concerns as to the edibility of the trout. They told me there were no concerns at all as they would definitely not stock them, if there were and that water samples are taken from time to time. Also, the vast majority of the water fowl congregate right were the public beach is located looking for handouts, so with my punt I get well away from that area for more reasons than that. Many lakes have algae blooms throughout the year, and I have not seen one on Deer Lake yet. The staff at the hatchery were quite happy to discuss the matter with me and allayed any concerns I had, as I am sure they would be happy to do for all anglers.

I've eaten about a half dozen Deer Lake rainbow trout - 15 years ago - and I'm still alive and kickin'.

learningtofly

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 09:32:39 AM »

Anyone here generous enough to share what type of fly they use at the lakes that gave them the most sucess?

Thanks in advance.

Green Micro Leech...I have done it in my belly boat, either with a sink tip and very slow troll or retreive or with a floating line...can be fished naked or with a indicator...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »

...I have done it in my belly boat, either with a sink tip and very slow troll or retreive or with a floating line...can be fished naked or with a indicator...

That must get cold, especially in the fall. ;D
Not all those who wander are lost

BC Fishing

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2015, 08:47:05 PM »

My first ever carp. They sure are monsters! Caught on a buzzer in Burnaby lake.