Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study  (Read 77712 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 01:25:33 AM by Rodney »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »

Anglers are being asked to bottom bounce so fish can be tagged?
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »

Do you need your own boat or will they transport you ?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »

Also how does someone sign up. what if they get 100 people showing up for a free ride to grassy to try their luck for a spring. It also sounds a little fishy to me. I believe they will spin doctor the results to eliminate bottom bouncing. Call me skeptical but dont forget this is a government sponsored study  ;) :P :-X :-\

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »

Why the scepticism?
If Rodney is announcing it, it must be a worthy cause. :)

I could do it the 5th in the afternoon (after 2:00 PM).
Let me know if that time frame works.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »

Good grief, what a waste of taxpayers money. Do a study on the mortality rate of bottom bounced sockeye ???   Lot more worthy causes that money spent on studies like this could be spent on  such as feeding the homeless in this province.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:43:02 AM »

They tried to get it off the ground last year but it did not happen. I believe there is a bar fishing componet to it as well. FVSS was going to be involved last year but the executive voted against it this time around

As well F/N are apparently involved in some aspects of this, that is what I was told.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:26:41 AM »

So the DFO and this organization called the Fraser Basin Council have started testing under the name Fraser Salmon and  Watershed  Program. They also look at flood control measures with no consideration of what that does to fish habitat. Kudo's to them that use deception with Government money and oranizational names that confuse and uninform people as to the real intent. It usually works.

Some info from Fraser Basin Council

http://www.fraserbasin.bc.ca/programs/basin_wide.html

There non-biased hand picked lineup

[color=yellow]Of the 36 Directors, 22 are appointed by the four orders of government: three by the federal government, three by the provincial government, one by each of the eight regional districts in the Basin, and one by each of the Basin's eight First Nations language groups. The remaining 14 Directors are non-governmental representatives appointed by the FBC. These 14 include two representatives from each of the Basin's five geographic regions, one Basin-wide representative for each of the three dimensions of sustainability (economic, social and environmental), and an impartial Chair.[/color]

Aboriginal and Non-Aboriginal Partnerships
One of the unique features of FBC is that First Nations are original signatories to the Charter for Sustainability and have participated fully in the FBC Board and its activities since FBC was established in 1997.

FBC is working to identify ways that it can more effectively apply Principle 11 of the Charter, which states: "We recognize that aboriginal nations within the Fraser Basin assert aboriginal rights and title. These rights and title now being defined must be acknowledged and reconciled in a just and fair manner."

To this end, FBC is working with First Nations Board members and its New Relationship Committee to:

Interpret the meaning of Principle 11 and its relevance to sustainability.
Explore ways that FBC can better demonstrate application of Principle 11 in its current and future activities.
Develop a reference document that constructively and objectively summarizes First Nations history in the Basin, relevant court decisions, current challenges and opportunities for applying Principle 11, and key lessons drawn from FBC's experience on improving cooperation between aboriginal and non-aboriginal people in the Fraser Basin.
For more information, contact:

Ernie Victor
Manager, Aboriginal Community Liaison
Tel: 604-997-9907
Email: evictor@fraserbasin.bc.ca

↑ Top

↑ Top ↑

↑ Top

Idle Free BC
Idle Free BC builds awareness among fleet managers and operators and the general public about the economic, environmental and health costs of idling, and encourages idling reduction programs. For upcoming workshops, visit the Idle Free BC website.

↑ Top ↑

Hybrid Experience Report: Online at www.hybridexperience.ca, the report documents the real-life experiences and fuel efficiency results of fleets that use hybrid vehicles. Simply put, a hybrid is a vehicle with an internal combustion engine and electric motor, powered by a large rechargeable battery. The Hybrid Experience website is unique in Canada, and has attracted national attention. It is a valuable resource for fleet managers, businesses and individuals contemplating hybrids.

Green Fleets Network: Sharing best practices is key to success, and Green Fleets BC is sponsoring a new network of fleet managers for just that reason.

Canada's Green Fuels Map: Interested in finding alternative fuels? Check out Canada's Green Fuels Map for an online lookup of both retail and key-lock stations, coast to coast.
Visit www.greenfleets.ca or contact Program Managers Jim Vanderwal or Terry Robert for more information.

↑ Top ↑

E3 Fleet Program
Designed by fleet managers for fleet managers, E3 Fleet is a new program to provide services and resources to help Canadian private and public sector fleets increase fuel efficiency, reduce emissions, manage expenses, incorporate new technologies and use alternative fuels. Launched in November, 2006, E3 Fleet has 16 charter member fleets committed to the program.

Pricing incentives were introduced in the fall of 2007 to encourage membership in the E3 Fleet program and amount to cost savings of 50%. For details, visit the E3 Fleet website or contact Program Manager Jim Vanderwal at jvanderwal@fraserbasin.bc.ca.

Through E3 Fleet membership, managers gain access to a new data analysis tool – Fleet Review – which generates exclusive reports and recommendations for reducing fuel, operating and capital costs as well as emissions for each fleet. The program will also offer the first green-rating system for vehicle fleets in North America. The rating system consists of four components:  a Green Rating Guide, a points system for assessing each fleet, a third-party fleet audit and an ultimate rating at the Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum level.

The FBC is pleased to spearhead the program launch of E3 Fleet, thanks to funding from Western Economic Diversification Canada and BC Ministry of Environment.

↑ Top ↑

Community Action on Energy and Emissions
 Energy Efficiency and Buildings: A Resource for BC's Local Governments is now available online [PDF: 3.1 MB].

The Community Action on Energy and Emissions (CAEE) initiative provides financial and research support to BC local governments to advance energy efficiency through local government policy and planning tools. This initiative was previously called "Community Action on Energy Efficiency," but has been broadened to deal with renewable energy and sustainable transportation.

The CAEE is a key element of the Province's new Energy Plan 2007 and a cornerstone of the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources' strategy document Energy Efficiency in Buildings: A Plan for BC, which outlines targets for new and existing residential, commercial, institutional and industrial buildings, to be reached by 2010.

The Fraser Basin Council provides overall program administration for this initiative, with funding support from BC Ministry of Energy and Mines, BC Ministry of Environment, Natural Resources Canada, Vancity, Real Estate Foundation, BC Hydro and Terasen Gas.

For more information, visit the CAEE initiative page on the BC Climate Exchange website.

↑ Top

Flood Hazard Management
The Fraser Basin Council has worked for many years with government authorities advancing flood hazard management for the communities along the Fraser. For details, please see Flood Hazard Management.

Fraser Salmon and Watersheds
A new program is underway in the Fraser Basin to build a better future for fish and fisheries in the Fraser Basin through inclusive, collaborative partnerships.

The Fraser Salmon and Watersheds Program (FSWP) is a multi-year initiative to conserve and restore the diversity and abundance of salmon within the Fraser Basin.  The FSWP began in 2007, with a contribution of $10 million over four years from the provincial Living Rivers Trust Fund and a further commitment of $10 million ($5M cash and $5M in-kind, over five years) from Fisheries and Oceans Canada. 

The Fraser Salmon and Watersheds Program is jointly managed by the Fraser Basin Council (FBC) and the Pacific Salmon Foundation (PSF).  A Steering Committee, with representatives from federal, provincial, and Aboriginal governments, as well as the two co-managing organizations and others, provides oversight to the program.  Funding is administered through the Pacific Salmon Foundation.

The Fraser Salmon and Watershed Program is built on a vision: To inspire changes in human behaviour to the benefit of salmonids and the watersheds they depend on.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:12:08 AM »

The one other question I have is why would they do this study during a year where the run is suppose to be so low. If the run is so low why even risk the possibility of killing even one fish. Maybe the humane society of BC will show up as would this not be considered the inhumane treatment of a animal.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »

Maybe the humane society of BC will show up as would this not be considered the inhumane treatment of a animal.

The act of fishing in itself is an inhumane one. Especially C&R.
But...we can live with it, can't we? ;)

johnny

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »

The one other question I have is why would they do this study during a year where the run is suppose to be so low. If the run is so low why even risk the possibility of killing even one fish. Maybe the humane society of BC will show up as would this not be considered the inhumane treatment of a animal.
Seriously?? A few.. even a few hundred out of hundreds of thousands is nothing.  Perhaps PETA ought to get involved too....

::)
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 05:00:46 PM »

Sounds like a great opportunity to get involved in the fisheries and make a few contacts...  Also if you pause to think about why people would be interested in mortality rates from bottom bouncing, the net effect might be VERY positive for the fraser river fisheries, depending on how many fish get killed from BBing vs netting or what ever other method is used to catch control fish.  Say for example, if every fish caught by one method dies, versus fish caught by other methods then the methods of fishing might be considered to be unacceptible during certain times or runs ect...  In any case that is very valuable information, and sounds like a great idea.

Unfortunately (or maybe more like fortunately) at that time I will be in Norway somewhere fishing for who knows what...  ;D  Good luck with your study, and give'm heck  :o  Should be useful information what ever the outcome. (unless the fishers get into a giant brawl over tangled lines)

Jon
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:08:04 PM by Jonny 5 »

Camman

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »

Good grief, what a waste of taxpayers money. Do a study on the mortality rate of bottom bounced sockeye ???   Lot more worthy causes that money spent on studies like this could be spent on  such as feeding the homeless in this province.
This is true but the homeless can help and fend for there self and this research can help the sockey that are defence less to being snagged.

lude98r

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »

I am surprised that money would be spent on this survey, why not look into the damage caused by gravel removal from the fraser?

mmmroe

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »

I talked to vic from sts today....from what he said this is a flossing mortality study.....DFO hired natives to conduct the study and they were getting inexperienced anglers  to catch the fish for the study.....he said he wanted to get as many experienced anglers as possible so the handling techniques dont taint the results.....i'm not sure if i can make it but he said he'll be shuttling people from island 22 to grassy.....