Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study  (Read 77678 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »

I agree that talking about it may cause some fishermen to evolve to finer forms of sports fishing. However potential for arguments still exist between the fly fisherman and the bait fishermen, between the sinking fly line fisherman and the floating line fly fisherman, etc, etc. Why not just let people fish?

The point is that there are all sorts of ways to catch fish. As long as they are legal; using a net, or a long line, or a hunk of roe, or a fly line is just a preferred way of catching a fish. Neither is better or worse, ethical or non-ethical.

Perhaps a flosser turned bar fishermen, could be compared to a smoker turned non-smoker who goes on a crusade to convince the world that smoking is bad for you..... Maybe it is, but why do so many people do it???   ;D  ;D
I am trying to wrote the journal as making too many posts tonight on several topics ;D but if you ask why so many floss. One, because their dentist says to  :D and the other is because it is easy to catch fish, no skill or learning curve needed. Just buy a cheap rod, reel, hooks (no wool or corkie needed), an array of betties, lots of leader material as you need 12 to 20 feet and away you go.

Why do people smoke? Is it because people think it looks cool or is it to relieve tension. Better to go bar fishing as it very relaxing, you can even catch up on your rest while flossing is combat fishing during the sockeye mayham that can turn into the world of boxing and wrestling. ;D ;D

I will leave it here, even though once a flosser does not mean you will be one forever. Hey, you might even change your thoughts on the HST.  ;D

I will write a story that happened to a bar fisher yesterday watch for this story in General D..

That's after a coffee break, (at this hour?) no, not a smoke break. ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2010, 07:58:47 AM »

"Why would playing them out with a 12 foot leader or a 24 inch bar rig leader be any different Chris?"

Seeing Chris hasn't answered the question I will. Because the 12 to 16 ounce bar weights kick the jeebus out of the fish. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #212 on: August 09, 2010, 07:06:18 PM »

Why would playing them out with a 12 foot leader or a 24 inch bar rig leader be any different Chris? In both cases, if the fish are successfully landed they are destined for the barbecue.

If the chinook spits the hook.......  physics suggests it's ridiculous to assume that a long leader is any different than a short leader when it comes to the survival rate of the chinook!  ::) In fact because a bar rigged chinook is hooked inside the mouth rather than outside the mouth it is much more likely that a released bar rig chinook will bleed much more than a released chinook that was flossed.

I suggest we stop throwing out that one method is better or worse than another, and that we just go fishing! ;D
When bar fishing I donot release the fish unless it is species that is closed to retention. Most days bar fishing is slow and you have to put in your time to even hook a chinook. As has been related before we get very few sockeye bar fishing although i hope I hook one during the opening this week when fishing the good doctor that will be green, I think. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #213 on: August 09, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »

"Why would playing them out with a 12 foot leader or a 24 inch bar rig leader be any different Chris?"

Seeing Chris hasn't answered the question I will. Because the 12 to 16 ounce bar weights kick the jeebus out of the fish. :)
See above.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »

This year's sockeye salmon catch and release mortality study result is now available for viewing:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/101126-1.html

There's quite a bit of good information being put together in it IMO. Page 23's comparison in C&R short term mortality rate of different techniques reflects is very interesting. I also like that there is now differentiation between short and long term mortalities.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »

Wow some of those numbers surprise me!  Circle hooks vs J hooks...flossed fish vs bait caught fish...

30% of coho dying after hooked on a bar rig with roe with J hooks.   Hmmm may have to rethink my bar fishing techniques for coho and just stick to lures.

Do 30% of the Bull Trout I catch on roe/worms die?

Good read.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #216 on: November 26, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »

Yeah, this is indeed an interesting read.  Will be better though when the telemetry data assessing long term mortality has been analysed.   Kudos to all who were involved in this study, especially the volunteers and funders :)

Justin

« Reply #217 on: November 30, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »

Yeah this was very interesing especially to see that fish that bit are more likley to die then when hooked by a BB rig. 

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2010, 01:40:10 AM »

All those stats pertaining to mortality are cool to see, but how many people use cut plug herring to release fish ??  ::) Pretty stupid way to fish if you plan on practicing C&R.  >:( The same goes for the roe too. If your fishing roe, you should be looking to keep the fish. Practicing C&R should be done with the appropriate gear/fly as to not have the hook end up in the gut, as fish that feed on bait such as roe and herring more often than not,attempt to swallow the stuff in one good strike, resulting in a deeper hook set that leads to more gill damage.

While the stats say that flossing has low mortality rates, they also say that the fish are hooked in the body too. Nothing like watching a rookie that's never fished before, reefing in a sockeye by the back. Pure disgusting IMO,  ::) and if they banned the flossing method all together, the mortality rate would decline like no tomorrow, because 80% or more of the so called anglers, would disappear.  ::) ;D