Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 BC Family Fishing Weekend, June 13th - 15th  (Read 9513 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2008 BC Family Fishing Weekend, June 13th - 15th
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:46:27 AM »

The BC Family Fishing Weekend will once again take place on the Fathers Day Weekend (June 13th to 15th). During this weekend, there will be dozens of community events taking place across British Columbia. At these events, both adults and kids who wish to learn how to fish can have a chance to do so with a free freshwater fishing license for the weekend. Limited number of rods and reels will be available on site. The goal of these events is to bring in more informed and responsible participants into this sport. The sportfishing community and the resource it utilizes needs more friends.

For more information on the community events near you, please go to:

http://www.bcfamilyfishing.com/events/index.php

There are several fantastic events happening in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley, which will be highlighted in this thread as the dates get closer. Most event organizers are always seeking for volunteers to make sure the day runs smoothly, so please feel free to contact them.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Go Fish Rice Lake, June 15th 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:06:18 AM »

From Seymour Salmonid Society:

Everyone mark your calendars for Sunday June 15th! Our annual Go Fish Rice Lake event will be held at Rice Lake with free fishing, BBQ, cool displays, and prizes. The event runs from 10 am to 3 pm. To make this event as good as it can be, we'll need your help!

You can help for all or part of the day. Staff will begin setting up at 7am. Volunteers can arrive anytime before 10am, but the earlier the better to help with set-up. Clean-up will probably go until 5-6 pm. Any help during the day (even for an hour or two) would be appreciated! Lunch is provided.

If you'd like to help please let me know:

1) When you can be there.
2) When you have to leave.
3) Where you'd like to help.

Here's where we'll need help:

1) BBQ - Help keep everything going smoothly behind the grill. Food prep, serving, maybe cooking up some hot dogs. 3 or 4 people.

2) Tackle - Putting together, maintaining, and signing out the loaner rods and reels. The kids will love you. 3 or 4 people.

3) Society Table - Tell people everything you know about Seymour Salmon! 2 people.

4) Volunteer volunteer - If anyone needs anything you'll be the person they talk to. A general caretaker for our guests. You get a radio! 2 people.

5) Fly Tying - Show off your fanciest caddisfly fish find irresistible. 2 people.

6) Volunteer food table - Dish it out to our exhibitors and other volunteers. Help yourself, of course. 1 or 2 people.

7) Set-Up/Take-Down - Your an early bird that likes to pitch a tent. 7-8am start. Or just come for the end of the day. You can move onto another task after set-up. The more the merrier.

8) Photographer - So you know how to take pictures, eh? Capture the whopper pulled out of the lake. Anyone with a camera.

Matt Casselman
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
volunteering@seymoursalmon.com
604 640 9690

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2008 BC Family Fishing Weekend, June 13th - 15th
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:57:23 PM »

Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby
Saturday, June 14th, 2008
Cultus Lake, Chilliwack
Tickets are available at Fred's Custom Tackle and Chilliwack Dart & Tackle

Please click here to download the poster!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 03:52:05 PM »

Should be a great event and I have never seen so many prizes for this derby, thanks to all our sponsors for making it happen

Chilliwack Dart and Tackle is one of them and unfortunatley their logo was not on the poster.

The main prizes at this time are bikes for a junior girl and boy, they are to be determined by a hidden weight so the more pike minnows you catch the better chance you have to win one of them.

I believe top prize for the adult division is a float tube.

There is many fly and spin casting rod and reel combos as well.

An event not to miss.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:55:01 PM by chris gadsden »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »

There logo didn't get on the poster and yet their a sponsor?  Do you think the bike would fit my 5' 8" 200 lbs + body ? If so I'm in big time. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:54:09 PM »

There logo didn't get on the poster and yet their a sponsor?  Do you think the bike would fit my 5' 8" 200 lbs + body ? If so I'm in big time. :)
Would you fit in the float tube then.  ;D ;D ;D

It is very unfortunate sometimes things get missed, no one is perfect and one has to thank all the volunteers who are involved in events like this. As you know it takes a lot of hard work doing this with over a month of planning and preparation.

I believe it has been added to some of the posters now and we have it on the ads in the newspaper.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »

Derby tickets can be bought on the day of the derby at Main Beach from 6:30 to 10 am.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »

Can adults fish at lafarge during the family fishing week-end or is it only for kids ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 01:10:24 PM »

Try angling for free at a family fishing weekend event

Have fun and learn about fish, fishing and the great outdoors at one of nearly 50 Family Fishing Weekend Events being held in BC communities on June 13 - 15.

A day at or near the water's edge with a rod and a reel and no need to purchase a fishing license is part of a plan to get more British Columbians hooked on the art and fun of angling.

B.C.’s Family Fishing Weekend is an opportunity for families to enjoy the sport of fishing in the province’s tens of thousands of lakes and non-tidal streams with a free three-day licence, compliments of the B.C. Government.

The 8th annual Family Fishing Weekend, June 13-15 this year, taking place across the province in nearly 50 different locales, including many in the lower mainland and on Vancouver Island, celebrates the sport of fishing, fish, their habitat and the outdoor beauty of the province.

British Columbia offers some of the finest fishing opportunities in the world and Family Fishing Weekend has introduced many people to the sport and the environment in which it takes place. Communities and volunteers make each event happen with help from a variety of business and government organizations. The Family Fishing Society of BC helps to coordinate the events and maintains the website, www.bcfamilyfishing.com.

Those who would rather try their hand in tidal waters are reminded that there is no charge for a saltwater sport fishing licence for those under 16, and one-day licences are available for residents 16 and older at a charge of only $5.57.

Sports anglers contribute nearly $1.2 billion annually to British Columbia’s economy.

Throughout the province, many communities will be holding events where people can learn the rules of fishing and see what’s being done to preserve, enhance and create fish habitat. Prizes, including an all expense paid trip for two to one of Langara Fishing Adventures resorts, www.langara.com, are offered at each of the events.

For more details and a list of communities where events are being held, visit our website.

J-GLOBAL

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 03:09:13 AM »

Are there times set for Lafarge on the 14th?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »

Family fishing day at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery

The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery in Abbotsford will be hosting its annual family fishing day on Saturday June 14th. This is an opportunity for you to fine-tune your trout fishing skills as well as learn about the facility that produces them.

Trout fishing will be available from 8am to noon. There are two permanent fishing ponds as well as a smaller inflatable pool reserved for kids under the age of seven to guarantee success.

Door prizes as well as random prizes such as first fish of the day and hidden weights will be given at 12:30pm, so be sure to stick around until the end. There will be a concession stand with Hot dogs, burgers and drinks making sure no anglers will go home hungry.

Besides trout fishing, there will be many other activities for visitors. Ongoing hatchery tours will be available. The aquariums at the visitor centre will be available for viewing, where guppy races will also be held. Be sure to stop by all mini Learn to Fish stations for fishing tips. The hatchery theatre will also be showing movies throughout the event.

The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery is located at 34345 Vye Road, Abbotsford. Click here to see a map to the hatchery. You can also download a poster of the event by clicking here.

Organization: Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC 
Name; Natalie West 
Phone: 604-504-4709

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »

Derby celebrates the outdoors
June 05, 2008    |

The Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby, sanctioned by the B.C. Family Fishing Society, takes place on Saturday, June 14th.
Put down your video game and pick up a fly rod. That’s what the Fraser Valley Salmon Society is hoping to achieve next Saturday at their annual Pikeminnow Derby. The derby, held on the annual Family Fishing Weekend, is hoping to draw a younger crowd to the event by keeping ticket prices low and offering lots of stellar prizes.

“This year we are trying to interest younger people in the exciting sport of recreational fishing,” said Frank Kwak, president of the Fraser Valley Salmon Society. “We want to get them away from their computers and online games, get them off the streets and get them outdoors and active.”

Tickets for the event are only $2 for youth 15 and under, and $5.00 for adults.

“The ticket prices are so low, and the prizes are so great, that everyone will be re-compensated for their ticket price anyways,” said Kwak.

This year organizers have upped the number of prizes to include 50 spinning rod packages, 50 fly rod packages, a trip for two to the Langara Fishing Lodge and tons of others.

There is also a $700 donation from Shaw cable that provides free cable connection and Shaw service for a year that will be awarded to the winner in the adult category.

Kwak emphasized that it’s a great weekend to try fishing for the first time as it’s the only time of year when a fishing license isn’t required.

Other fun activities will be taking place including face painting, games, and stick on tattoos matched with plenty of cotton candy, hot dogs, and hamburgers.

There will also be six jet boats to take kids out on the lake to fish with the help of a guide. It’s free and is first come first serve, so Kwak advises getting there early.

“It’s targeted more for families that don’t have boats, or don’t have the money to rent boats, like single parent families,” said Kwak.

This year the derby has been renamed Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby to honor the late Greg Clark, who organized the event over the past few years. The Clark family have donated a large memorial trophy that will be awarded to the junior that catches the largest pikeminnow, and will be put on display in various tackle shops.

The family, many of which will be flying in from Calgary for the event, have also donated Greg’s favorite fishing gear. They are hoping to give it to someone who enjoys fishing but can’t afford the costs of buying the gear.

Along with promoting outdoor activities the derby also has an ecological benefit. It is an attempt to save the Cultus Lake sockeye, which are critically endangered.

“Pikeminnow are known to pray on young Cultus Lake sockeye, so this event is also trying to eradicate the pikeminnow,” said Kwak.

Pikeminnow live to be about 25 years old and can weigh anywhere from two to four pounds said Kwak.

“The pikeminnow are feasting on a very fancy fish,” added Kwak.

The Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby, sanctioned by the B.C. Family Fishing Society, takes place on Saturday, June 14th. The event starts at daybreak, with weigh in at 2:00 p.m. and the prize ceremony at 2:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at Fred’s Custom Tackle and at Chilliwack Dart & Tackle.

awray@theprogress.com

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »

Anyone interested in helping out at Lafarge in Guarding the netted area on Friday let me know. Believe me when i say that someone will try to "poach" the fish out of there. Also i could use help setting up the net Friday afternoon around 100pm,   anyone who fishes the lake then could just stop over and help me get the net in the corner and the floats tied up
Hope your event goes well and well done on all the work you and the volunteers are putting into it.
Lets hope it does not rain this year.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »

cammer I think i have that day off so i am game to help out where ever you need me 8)