Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 BC Family Fishing Weekend, June 13th - 15th  (Read 9512 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: 2008 BC Family Fishing Weekend, June 13th - 15th
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 11:11:13 AM »

Heh we should set up a webcam and a speaker, so when they get close we can heckle them from home ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »

Not to sound stupid,.... but do you kill every single pikeminnow you catch?
Ive never tried fishing for them before lol.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »

I can be there when ever you guys need me (dusk till dawn)
sorry don't have a boat just a tube
I will bring the tube so i can cast a fly or two and keep an eye on the fish
I have a loud voice so they will hear me if they try anything
Will there be any signs to put up saying "please keep out" ???
Will i be able to park close by so i can keep an eye on my gear on Friday ???
I am trying to get the Saturday off too so if you need me then i will help

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »

Not to sound stupid,.... but do you kill every single pikeminnow you catch?
Ive never tried fishing for them before lol.
They do. You should come to the derby as we have many great prizes including 100 fly and spinning rod combo's. Most of the fly rods have fly line on the reels that retail for $50.00. I am sure we have a prize for everyone that enters and stays for the awards and draws that follow the derby.

Sea Nymph

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »

I'm very interested in taking my daughter to the Pike minnow derby at Cultas lake. Never really fished for pike minnows. What's the best way to catch them and where would you fish for them? Any tips would be appreciated.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 04:40:06 PM »

Here's a video of last year's Cultus Lake Pikeminnow Derby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdxDld_PVqc

Sea Nymph

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »

Awesome video Rod. Really looking forward to taking my daughter there this weekend. Thx

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 12:34:53 AM »

Awesome video Rod. Really looking forward to taking my daughter there this weekend. Thx
I hope you are able to, we have an unbelievable amount of prizes, some very good ones too.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »

PART OF THE LIST OF PRIZE CATEGORIES AND PRIZES

As send to me by 'The Master' NO he is not fishing so do not be scared off. ;D ;D ;D

HEAVIEST PIKE MINNOW BY A JUNIOR           U-BOAT,FLY ROD COMBO,TACKLE BOX /TACKLE

2ND PRIZE                                                         SPIN ROD COMBO, TACKLE BOX/TACKLE

3RD PRIZE                                                          SPIN ROD COMBO, HAT

HEAVIEST PIKE MINNOW BY AN ADULT           PVR INCLUDING FREE INSTALL AND 1 MONTH FREE SERVICE, FLYRODREEL COMBO

2ND PRIZE                                                          FLY ROD COMBO AND TACKLE BOX/TACKLE

3RD PRIZE                                                          FLY ROD COMBO, HAT

HEAVIEST TOTAL WEIGHT BY JUNIOR              SPIN ROD COMBO, FLY ROD COMBO, CLOCK RADIO

2ND PRIZE                                                          SPIN ROD COMBO, TACKLE BOX/TACKLE

3rd PRIZE                                                            SPIN ROD COMBO, HAT

HEAVIEST TOTAL WEIGHT BY ADULT                SPIN ROD COMBO, FLY ROD COMBO, CLOCK RADIO

2nd PRIZE                                                            SPIN ROD COMBO, TACKLE BOX/TACKLE

3rd PRIZE                                                             SPIN ROD COMBO, HAT

HIDDEN WEIGHT JUNIOR BOY                            BIKE VALUE WORTH OVER $200 and a $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE

HIDDEN WEIGHT JUNIOR GIRL                            BIKE VALUE WORTH OVER $200 and a $50 GIFT CERTIFICATE

Note most of the reels have line on them including the fly reels.

** APPROXIMATELY ANOTHER  80 ROD REEL COMBOS AND 20 RODS PLUS NUMEROUS OTHER SMALLER PRIZES TO BE DRAWN FOR, TOO NUMEROUS TO MENTION. 

Some up to $50 value

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:05:30 PM by chris gadsden »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

Sounds good.... too bad the adult catergory doesnt get the U-boat  :(  O well I hope I can come, if I can convince someone to give me a ride up lol. Can you catch these fish on a fly rod? I think I may have caught them before just spin-casting a worm with a weight and reeling in steady, are they known to take spoons as well? I've never targetted them before so I dont really know too much, yes I watched the video too  ;)  1 other question....  If I have a boat and can get my step-dad to come or some 1 else, would it be an ok idea to troll around a worm (or some other bait) close to the bottom? I would also like to know whether or not these fish prefer the deep water or do they mostly sit around the dock areas....

Thanks,
Dan

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 05:34:50 PM »

Sounds good.... too bad the adult catergory doesnt get the U-boat  :(  O well I hope I can come, if I can convince someone to give me a ride up lol. Can you catch these fish on a fly rod? I think I may have caught them before just spin-casting a worm with a weight and reeling in steady, are they known to take spoons as well? I've never targetted them before so I dont really know too much, yes I watched the video too  ;)  1 other question....  If I have a boat and can get my step-dad to come or some 1 else, would it be an ok idea to troll around a worm (or some other bait) close to the bottom? I would also like to know whether or not these fish prefer the deep water or do they mostly sit around the dock areas....

Thanks,
Dan
If you can watch Shaw channel 4 you can see 'The Master' giving out some tips. Dock areas are good as they fed on food dropped in, some say. Bits of hot dogs work. Some fish a worm under a float. Others cast out with a small weight with a worm and bring in slowly. To tell you the truth I have fished the derby a few times and never did very well while others are experts at it. ::) ???

I have to go up early to work at the derby, let me know if you need a ride.

Buck_wife

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 09:52:45 PM »

I have fished the derby a few times and never did very well

truer words have never been spoken, just ask Stef!! :D ;D
at least the weather looks a little more promising than last year!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 11:08:20 PM »

I have fished the derby a few times and never did very well

truer words have never been spoken, just ask Stef!! :D ;D
at least the weather looks a little more promising than last year!
I never said I was a guide and I think maybe she caught more from the dock than in Leaf Craft #2, Maybe I will bring Leaf Craft #3 this year. ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 07:40:24 AM »

I'm thinking of going again this year. I recommend worm on the bottom by a creekmouth for a prize pikey or two. It's not the prizes I'm after just the status of winning the derby. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »

I have to go up early to work at the derby, let me know if you need a ride.

Hey Chris I got your pm, but your email adress is hidden to me, maybe you could e-mail it to me later. I dont mind waking up early, and it is quite possible I might need a ride, I will let you know by either tomorrow or Friday. Thanks for the offer, hopefully everything goes well.

Thanks, Dan