Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Record Pink=Ugliest Fish Ever!  (Read 13045 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
World Record Pink=Ugliest Fish Ever!
« on: October 24, 2007, 06:40:19 PM »

Arlington angler reels in record-breaking pink salmon
OLYMPIA WA Adam Stewart, a 19-year-old angler from Arlington, has set a new state record for the largest pink salmon caught in state waters, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) confirmed today.
Stewart caught the 15.4-pound salmon Oct. 11 on the lower Stillaguamish River in Snohomish County, and immediately had its weight certified at a grocery store in Arlington.
The fish was 31 inches long, with a girth of 24.75 inches, said Don Rothaus, a WDFW fish biologist. In certifying the catch, Rothaus noted the “huge” hump on its back, characteristic of male pink salmon returning to spawn.
“At first, I thought I had a coho on the line,” said Stewart, a metal and glass cutter, who was fishing with spinning gear and 10-pound test line. “Then that huge hump caught the current broadside and just starting peeling line off my rod.
“I didn’t really know what I had until I got it to the beach,” he said.
The previous state record was a 14.86-pound pink salmon caught in the Skykomish River in 2001. That fish currently holds the world record as determined by the International Game Fish Association (IGFA), which also may put Stewart’s pink salmon in line for that title.
“I know Adam has been in touch with the IGFA,” said Keith Underwood, WDFW gamefish records coordinator.
While Stewart’s 15.4-pound fish claimed the state record for a pink salmon caught in freshwater, an 11.56-pound fish caught off Possession Point in 2001 still holds the state title for the largest pink salmon caught in saltwater.
Pink salmon, which generally weigh three to five pounds, are the smallest and most abundant of the Pacific salmon. Also known as “humpies,” most pink salmon return to Washington waters in odd-numbered years. Nearly 3.3 million pink salmon are expected to return to rivers and stream in the Puget Sound area this year.

Sandhead

Re: World Record Pink=Ugliest Fish Ever!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 06:43:33 PM »

31 inches long and 24 inches girth! thats a monster!
Ain't no HO like a COHO

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »

Nasty looking fish!.  I'm glad someone broke the old record, I'm getting tired of looking at those old Dick Nite's ads.  As for the Stilly, it also has some huge steelies and coho that rival the Vedder. 

fish bait

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:44:52 PM »

that is a very ugly fish.  I wonder what would make him want to keep such a thing. ???

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:09:44 PM »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 10:00:28 PM »

"He probably snagged it."

Assumptions.  >:(
He didn't necessarily snag it.

A couple weeks ago Bryan Bronswyk hooked into a humpy monster on the Vedder that hit his colorado spinner with a vengeance. I know the fish wasn't snagged as it was hooked in slack water, and the hook of the colorado was embedded deeply inside its mouth. It also put up quite the fight. Although Bryan's fish was far from being a world record, it was certainly a contender for at least a 2007 Vedder record. That fish couldn't have been any smaller than 10 pounds. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but you know...those humpies are not exactly photogenic. :D

So, unless you are certain that the fish was snagged, I wouldn't make such statements. Makes it sound like sour grapes more than anything else.

Tight lines,

Milo

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:04 PM »

Colour has absolutely nothing to do with whether a fish is snagged or not. Milo is right, too many people are assuming that fish are snagged. It seems to be the new trend these days.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:09:36 AM »

What a meat head!

You deserve an award for getting that thing to bite :)

Awesome!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 06:50:21 AM »

Alot of sour grapes...if you thought you had a chance of catching the world's largest fish of a particular species wouldn't you be inclined to keep it to.....it's something to tell the grand children.

Besides, you can always chuck the pic.  LOL

redside1

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 08:57:25 AM »

grerat! a new Humpzilla.

Murmillo

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »

Oh.. I did not do any research on pink salmon and this is my first year fishing for pink. So did not know that 11lb pink is close to a record pink. I caught one (definitely humpy) in the Vedder which was slightly more that 11lb and about 29.5 in long. What is the record for vedder?

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »

man thats a ugly fish. but big.
small fish in a big river

fishforever

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 02:48:36 PM »

cool stuff, it's a monster.but ugly :-X

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »

Woof, woof!

Good dog!

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 06:24:25 PM »

I don't think that fish is ugly.  He looks friggin' powerful.  Nice fish!!