Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Georgia Strait Halibut! August 13th, 2007  (Read 4857 times)

Zpg

Georgia Strait Halibut! August 13th, 2007
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:34:33 PM »

I'll try to be brief...

Since buying my larger boat a month or so ago I have been doing some saltwater venturing. A little off the mouth of the Fraser, a bit off West Vancouver and even a day at Cates, all with some success. I used to do a lot of saltwater fishing when I lived in Powell River for a year and I definitely miss it. I bought a couple of marine charts that cover most of the local area and while looking over them I wondered about Halibut in Georgia Strait. I did some reading and found out that Halibut used to be plentiful many years ago but basically none in the Strait for the past 20-30 years. Got me thinking that there must still be some around...

I called a few tackle shops that cater to saltwater and asked if they knew anywhere in the Strait that might support Halibut. Basically everyone laughed at me and I was told that there are none this far up the Strait and that Victoria area in spring was as close as they come.

Being the stubborn sort that I am, I decided to give it a try anyway so last night I sat in front of my chart and found an area I thought would be a good starting point. I copied the Longitude and Latitude to my portable GPS and off I went this morning.

When I arrived at my pre-determined location I decided to fish for Salmon for a bit first as it was nice and early, After 2 hours with no luck and the winds picking up I boated over to my "spot" and dropped anchor (I heard from several seasoned Halibut guys that anchoring is more productive than drifting). I rigged up and as soon as my gear hit bottom WHAM. Fish on. It had decent size as I was using my Technium and sturgeon setup and it was taking line.

5 minutes later this came to the surface:

Not a monster but a good 20lbs. I still can't believe I picked the exact spot last night and nailed a Hali on my first drop.

So much for no halibut in the Strait!

I fished for another hour but the wind and waves were getting almost dangerous, the fishing was impossible and I was a LONG way from shore so I headed home.

Cheers
Z
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:07:16 PM by Rodney »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Georgia Strait Halibut!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:50:27 PM »

Sweet!!!   ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:55:52 PM »

wow nice fish. VERY UNCOMMON but also not targetted alot. I fish almost everyday in the staright and have never caught one myself but only heard of a handful.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:47:18 PM »

WOW very impressive!  Keep your spot on the DL...you dont want it to turn into a zoo gong show ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

phatwop

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:30:13 AM »

awesome....that is going to be delicious!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 06:53:24 AM »

it sure is rewarding when a little research and determination pay off. Nicely done!

JustinG

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 07:28:54 AM »

Nice work! I picked up a book in Pt Alberni the weekend before last that has some spots near Van, but didn't put much weight in them. I'll have to try one or two out!

charles

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »

good job.  I have only seen once that a halibut was pulled in the strait but that was years years ago...  Lucky dog :)

I will buy the head off that fish :)

flatlander

Re: Georgia Strait Halibut! August 13th, 2007
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 08:22:29 PM »

Excellent work!  What type of boat did you pick up?

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:25 AM »

I'll try to be brief...

Since buying my larger boat a month or so ago I have been doing some saltwater venturing. A little off the mouth of the Fraser, a bit off West Vancouver and even a day at Cates, all with some success. I used to do a lot of saltwater fishing when I lived in Powell River for a year and I definitely miss it. I bought a couple of marine charts that cover most of the local area and while looking over them I wondered about Halibut in Georgia Strait. I did some reading and found out that Halibut used to be plentiful many years ago but basically none in the Strait for the past 20-30 years. Got me thinking that there must still be some around...

I called a few tackle shops that cater to saltwater and asked if they knew anywhere in the Strait that might support Halibut. Basically everyone laughed at me and I was told that there are none this far up the Strait and that Victoria area in spring was as close as they come.

Being the stubborn sort that I am, I decided to give it a try anyway so last night I sat in front of my chart and found an area I thought would be a good starting point. I copied the Longitude and Latitude to my portable GPS and off I went this morning.

When I arrived at my pre-determined location I decided to fish for Salmon for a bit first as it was nice and early, After 2 hours with no luck and the winds picking up I boated over to my "spot" and dropped anchor (I heard from several seasoned Halibut guys that anchoring is more productive than drifting). I rigged up and as soon as my gear hit bottom WHAM. Fish on. It had decent size as I was using my Technium and sturgeon setup and it was taking line.

5 minutes later this came to the surface:

Not a monster but a good 20lbs. I still can't believe I picked the exact spot last night and nailed a Hali on my first drop.

So much for no halibut in the Strait!

I fished for another hour but the wind and waves were getting almost dangerous, the fishing was impossible and I was a LONG way from shore so I headed home.

Cheers
Z

Ummm...there's some halibut around and there's been more than just a "few" caught if you know where to look and it's definitely on the DL. Certainly hope you weren't where I think you were. Check the regs...and I don't mean that guide they publish every 2nd year. There's a whole lotta restrictions and you think you may not be in a restricted zone, but you could be. Just be cautious...... that's all. No offence intended.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »

im still convinced - with no proof obviously - tat there is a moster out there in the straight.. One days , one day some one is going to tackle the beast..
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Zpg

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 05:42:58 PM »

Ummm...there's some halibut around and there's been more than just a "few" caught if you know where to look and it's definitely on the DL. Certainly hope you weren't where I think you were. Check the regs...and I don't mean that guide they publish every 2nd year. There's a whole lotta restrictions and you think you may not be in a restricted zone, but you could be. Just be cautious...... that's all. No offence intended.

No offence taken at all. In fact I have appreciated your candid posts here and other forums. In case you were worried I was fishing inside a rockfish conservation area.... I made careful documentations on my GPS to avoid making this mistake :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:44:57 PM by Zpg »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Zpg

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »

What did you pick him up on, herring? chovie? jig?

I dropped a Berkley Gulp squid.

Zpg

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »

Excellent work!  What type of boat did you pick up?

I bought a 16' Double Eagle. It's a bit small but really rides the rough water pretty well.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »

Now what were the GPS headings again ? ;D