Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Nother Local Lake, Buntzen May 30/07  (Read 4832 times)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
'Nother Local Lake, Buntzen May 30/07
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:05:48 PM »

Well Derp and I sure timed it right!

Day started off when Derp picked me up around 2:30 and we were off to buntzen lake for some trout on the fly. We got there, fish jumping everywhere, and we knew it was going to be a good day. Soon as we were out there, we hooked fish. Fish after fish. We hooked fish trolling and strip casting, some of the fish were taken close to our tubes. I mean close, like 5 ft away. We ended up hooking about a dozen each, and keeping our limit of nice sized bows. Fishing then slowed down, but we were still hooking fish.

Great day on the water.

Tight Loops,
Coho Cody ;)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: 'Nother Local Lake, Buntzen May 30/07
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 05:08:27 PM »

nice report....were all ur fish caught on a sink line?

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »

we were using sink tips on our floating lines
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Tinhat

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:45:39 PM »

Hi Guys,

New here but loving reading all the info  :) I mainly river fish but want to get on some local lakes and get into some lake trout. What gear is used on lakes like these if I don't fly?

I don't see Buntzen lake in the regs... it is the same lake as Hatzic or are they different?  ???

Thanks.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 01:40:30 PM »

I know roe kid knows more about buntzen than I do, but i guess standard gang troll or willow leaf with a wedding band

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »

There are various ways you can catch trout at buntzen without the fly. It is not the hardest thing ;D Little flat fish work well or a little dicknite with worm...or even anchoring somewhere and throwing out a bober with worm or shrimp. They are not the most picky fish ;)

Good luck
weeeeeeeeeow!

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:31:25 PM »

well I got there around 9.30 today water temp was 14deg rained a little on and off
a couple of guys out there and a few on the docks
one guy on the dock caught a few that i seen
the other was missing every bite
I tried sinking line first with only one bite no fish
then switched to floating and a red dock sprat
had a few hits then managed to land one about 13inch(rainbow)
i think the cooler temp pushed the fish down
water only increased to 15deg later on
and lots of fish showing up on the bottom
but still some rising 

to fish with gear use a sliding float (easier to cast and to adjust depth) with cooked shrimp fish off the docks
my fish finder screen was full of fish when i went over to wards the docks
lots of small ones but some big one too :o

i wanted to call the DFO on one guy on the dock as he was fishing with two rods and pulling up onto the dock the small fish then throwing  them back
but i could not get a signal >:(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:33:19 PM by Britguy »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:39:48 PM »

i wanted to call the DFO on one guy on the dock as he was fishing with two rods and pulling up onto the dock the small fish then throwing  them back
but i could not get a signal >:(

Britguy or others, for freshwater (non-salmon) related violations, phone the conservation offices at 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP), not DFO (only phone DFO for tidal water and freshwater salmon related violations). If a phone call is not possible at the time of the violation, make a report when you get home on the net at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm. Reported violations are good references to conservation officers. They are more likely to visit locations where violations are frequently witnessed.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 11:02:42 PM »

New here but loving reading all the info  :) I mainly river fish but want to get on some local lakes and get into some lake trout. What gear is used on lakes like these if I don't fly?

I don't see Buntzen lake in the regs... it is the same lake as Hatzic or are they different????

Tinhat, Buntzen Lake is located in Port Moody, not near Hatzic. It is managed like many other Lower Mainland lakes that are regularly stocked by the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery between April and October. For lakes that are not listed specifically in the freshwater regulation booklet, follow the generic regional regulations (ie. 4 trout per day can be kept, only 1 rod can be used from shore, or 2 rods if by yourself on a boat).

There are three methods that you can use to catch trout without using a fly rod. Since the trout you are targeting are not extremely big (200 to 400 grams), the gear should be fairly light. A spinning rod rated 1 to 4lb test and a small spinning reel spooled with 2 or 4lb test line are best.

• Bottom rig: Slide a small sliding weight (less than 1oz) onto the main line, followed by a bead, then tie a swivel onto the main line. Tie a leader at the other end of the swivel, the length should be between 2 and 4 feet long. At the end of the leader, tie a size 4 to 10 steelhead hook on. You can fish this rig by casting it out, allowing it to freely sink and anticipating bites as it reaches the bottom.
  • Float rig: This is basically same as the above, except you need to slide a float before tying the rest on. Only use adequate amount of weight needed to balance the float. Choose a small float that only requires 4 to 10 grams of weight to balance. You can fish this rig by casting it out, letting the float sit on the water surface and waiting for it to sink when a fish bites the bait. Adjust your float depth at times to test things out. The wind can sometimes blow the float around, so adjust the main line so it does not become too slack.
  • Lure spinning: This is simple and convenient. Purchase small spinners and spoons, which weigh 1/16oz to 1/8oz. Silver lures with blue, green, pink stripes are effective. Tie the lure onto the end of the main line. Cast the lure out, allow it to sink, retrieve slowly and detect bites.

Small floats for small fish

Trout spinners

Trout spoons (top row)

Small spinning reel (this is a higher end Shimano spinning reel, but an entry-level one that costs between $20 and $60 is good enough)

For bait, cooked shrimp as Britguy has suggested, dew worm, garden worm and PowerBait work well. You can even tie a small fly onto your line if you are using the float or bottom rig.

Some useful articles that you may find helpful:

If there are still questions, you can always attend the Family Fishing Weekend event at Lafarge Lake on Saturday May 16th. See this link for more information.

Good luck.

Tinhat

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 11:45:24 PM »

Beautiful....... thank you all,

Time to go spend a little money on new lures etc., like I need an excuse!!

So any lake not listed in the current regulations the generic rules apply...... that I never knew, I learn something new everyday, usually form this site  :)

Best Regards,

Tinhat

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 11:48:13 PM »

One more recommendation that I can give is to keep track the region 2 stocking updates and pick the lakes on the stocking list for better success.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/stocking_2.html

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 11:19:11 PM »

Rodney  sorry i meant C.O. not DFO
i did reported this to the consevation office by email ;D

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 08:34:46 PM »

is the channel thing a feeder stream?....fishing at the mouth of feeder streams is usually productive.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 09:48:02 PM »

Well i was there yesterday and just as before two guys fishing the right hand dock and one was using two rods
so i told him that it was not allowed and he would get a big fine and have his gear confiscated
his budy just laughed (he was hooking and keeping some 3-4inch fish not trout)
but he said in broken English oh i didn't know 
then he asked me how many trout he could keep
so i replied read the regulations before
 you go fishing

i made my way over to the other dock where a little girl was fishing with her parents watching
i asked if she was having any luck
no she replied
so i asked what bait she was using
her dad replied we dont have any its her first time fishing
i said i had some shrimp in my bag as i had brought along my teliscopic rod to find out where the fish were feeding
I put on a single hook and added a lead shot to her line as she had on a bobber
then i gave her some shrimp and wished her luck

I hooked a few small ones but not much doing
water temp was 11deg
it rained heavy on and off then got a bit breezy